• 5(current)
Android Design Concept for next level of the remote
It looks great!

I wish that you keep the slide control from the original controller (or something similar). It is great since we don't have any haptic feedback on our touch screens yet Smile.
Is there an update on the estimated release of this awesome looking remote?
Last I heard about it was when I posted here so let's just say a very long time. Sad
(2013-02-22, 12:58)Jezz_X Wrote: Last I heard about it was when I posted here so let's just say a very long time. Sad

Wish you'd work with Tolriq to get this added to Yates. Bet it'd get done pretty quick.
Anybody who is a serious Android dev (would be nice to point to stuff you have already done) and wants to work on this with me feel free to get in contact with me via PM or Google+ (see signature)

Anyone who does needs to understand
* The end product needs to be free and without ads. (We may be able to do a donate version or in app payment but it will have no effect on the actual product function and purely optional)
* I'm no coder I have no idea how to make these things work I'm just a design guy
* This will follow and use the Android ICS and up design library stuff so may not be backwards compatible (again not a coder)
* I welcome input but the overall stock holo style is not going to be changed (themes maybe)
* This will be a remote control and media library browser for xbmc extra stuff like sickbeard or boxee support will not be added
* Open source is a preference though the source only needs to be released when the actual product is if you like

With all that said if you still want to help make this a reality feel free to contact me, you may even get to become a teamxbmc member if your a nice person and have commitment to great free open source software Smile not that it gives you much other than title Smile
Open source is actually mandatory. Also make sure that you have a look at the API library which will be used for XBMC communication.

I will start working on this in about a month.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
(2013-02-26, 10:37)freezy Wrote: Open source is actually mandatory. Also make sure that you have a look at the API library which will be used for XBMC communication.

Just out of interest, how is opensource mandatory for a third party app?

I agree that it's highly feasible, but I don't see why an app has to be opensource to control XBMC.
(2013-02-26, 10:37)freezy Wrote: I will start working on this in about a month.

Are you going to maintain the same backward compatibility support - i.e. SDK level 3?

Are there still users using Cupcake (Android 1.5 )?
Would love to use this on my cheap 10" China tablet running Android 2.2 Froyo
I run the latest remote on my old Samsung phone but it's so darn small and 'fat finger' a lot when using it.
(2013-03-04, 19:08)MartijnGP Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 10:37)freezy Wrote: Open source is actually mandatory. Also make sure that you have a look at the API library which will be used for XBMC communication.

Just out of interest, how is opensource mandatory for a third party app?

I agree that it's highly feasible, but I don't see why an app has to be opensource to control XBMC.

My guess is that if you want it to be the "official" XBMC remote app then you have to abide by Team XBMC's development rules - open source being one of them.

There's probably also some technicalities like licensing of the term "XBMC" and the copyright usage of the logo that they can give/withhold as well as a very likely case that can be made that the remote app is a dependent work (it won't do anything without xbmc) and therefore it's governed by the license that XBMC uses.

/not a lawyer
//just work on some OS projects
@MartijnGP: Anyone can write any app under any license. If you want me and Jezz_X to participate for the new official remote, it's gonna be open source. If you want to start another separate one with Jezz_X (which he was originally planning), do what you feel like.

@jblance: No, Cupcake isn't even bundeled with the current SDK anymore. It's probably gonna be Gingerbread+.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Hmm, makes sense. Thought you meant something like every app using the XBMC API has to be open source. Thanks for clearing this up Smile

Unfortunately I don't know enough about Android to participate in delelopment. Only done some work on HTML based app layouts which probably isn't what you're going for.
Not a fan, I would prefer full Holo design.
(2013-03-09, 21:15)TeKo Wrote: Not a fan, I would prefer full Holo design.

Holo doesn't really lend itself for those purposes where specific buttons are needed.
Another concept that moves most of the selection stuff off to the side panel instead of the top and bottom of the screen

click here for full size image since the forum resizes them

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Design Concept for next level of the remote5