XBMCbuntu vs. OpenELEC
I recently installed OpenELEC. It certainly was easy and the setup was painless, but within 3 minutes I found an issue (no skins were loading) which leads me here.
What are people's general opinions on this topic? Is there a compiled pro/con list out there that addresses this dichotomy?

I literally only want XBMC to boot up... don't plan on utilizing the Linux backend at any point in time, which is why I set up OpenELEC in the first place.

What's everyone's opinions on this?
Definitely go Openelec mate.

What is the issue you're having with your skins?
Openelec is best suited for those that want their XBMC client to act and be simply an appliance. For those that want to tweak a bit more or do more with the OS, XBMCbuntu is better suited.

From what you've mentioned it sounds like Openelec is what you want. Are you running Openelec stable (2.0) or one of the frodo based developmental builds?
I find the boot time of XBMCbuntu to be incredibly slow, unless you want/need a desktop UI behind XBMC go with OpenELEC.
IMHO best of both worlds would be something like Ubunutu minimal. You don't add the bloat of a full distro + can lean on excellent usebase of Ubuntu.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Thanks for all the input.

Based of this, I think I'll stick with OpenELEC.
Cheers! Big Grin
Openelec rocks, boot up right into OS and reboot right into it, just like an appletv or something. Thanks openelec and XBMC!
(2012-10-22, 22:38)mohanman Wrote: Openelec rocks, boot up right into OS and reboot right into it, just like an appletv or something. Thanks openelec and XBMC!

So does a minimal install, fyi and its 100% more flexible.

(2012-10-22, 05:26)thethirdnut Wrote: IMHO best of both worlds would be something like Ubuntu minimal. You don't add the bloat of a full distro + can lean on excellent userbase of Ubuntu.

+1 @ thirdnut

I rather have spent a week trying to install from 0, bang my head against a rock, than to resort to Openelec or xbmcbuntu

I've tried all of the above and over the years, the minimal install wins hands down (as in my signature), mainly because you cant do anything else with your box, and are 100% dependant on developers.

+1 minimal install
-1 openelec
-50 xbmcbuntu

However enjoy your install, it should work mostly out of box.

uNi
(2012-10-23, 08:08)uNiversal Wrote:
(2012-10-22, 05:26)thethirdnut Wrote: IMHO best of both worlds would be something like Ubunutu minimal. You don't add the bloat of a full distro + can lean on excellent usebase of Ubuntu.

I rather have spent a week trying to install from 0, bang my head against a rock, than to resort to Openelec or xbmcbuntu

I've tried all of the above and over the years, the minimal install wins hands down (as in my signature), mainly because you cant do anything else with your box, and are 100% dependant on developers.

+1 minimal install
-1 openelec
-50 xbmcbuntu

However enjoy your install, it should work mostly out of box.

uNi

I totally disagree with you
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
ofc, its your right to disagree Wink

uNi
One thing I liked at first on openelec was that sicckbeard, sadbnzbd and maraschino were added as xbmc addons.

Thing i ddid not like was when something would stop working with those addons (lets say api change on nzbmatrix)
ypou would have to wait till it is corrected in sab and then extra wait till it is sorted in xbmcbuntu.

It is a bit harder to get going ( if you have no linux experience like me) but from me XBMCbuntu 1+,

but if you jut want XBMC without addons for downland and so on openelec could be better for you.
Universal, care to elaborate what features you feel compelled to use with Ubuntu? Why the hate for XBMCbuntu and why only -1 for OpenELEC?
Your question of "one vs other" is from a point that you probably dont want to get involved with Linux anymore than necessary to create a disk and install/enjoy.
Asking me for a blow by blow is probably going to cause war, but its your thread, so you know, I'm not subscribed to this because I dont want conflicts.

Xbmcbuntu is too heavyweight and old, installs things like lightdm (tons of dependencies) which are totally unneeded and xwindow managers (argh). however you can do whatever you want with your machine.
Openelec is simply a HTPC install and go - not flexible enough to do what "I" want to do. and its not designed that way.

I want to compile xbmc from source, tinker with box, customize things to suit my changing needs, dont want to be locked into release cycles and I dont want to break xbmc because I upgraded my kernel or some other xbmcbuntu packages)

There's 3 choices irrespective: (more if you choose another arch)

Xbmcbuntu (if you want to have some control but dont care about random packages that are unneeded or are prepared to reinstall if you break it trying to upgrade it and are ok to wait for releases)
Openelec (if you just want it to work , its fast to install and dont care for the ease of tinkering and are ok to wait for releases)
xbmc minimal If you want newer Linux, less packages and have all flexibility. of Ubuntu specially the userbase to draw help from dont want to wait for anything,

Because xbmcbuntu installs uneeded packages and breaks way to easy -1
Because Openelec is not flexible enough for "my" needs/expectations -1

Ultimately you should try everything, like I did and come to your own conclusions and perhaps learn something about Linux in the process.

uNi

Tried out minimal... had some lockups that I never experienced with OpenELEC and didn't feel like troubleshooting, so I'm back on OpenELEC. It seems like a very nice option for those who get it working though.
Id say xbmcbuntu, i tried openelec and theres certain things which id like to tweak but just cant using it, so went back to xbmcbuntu, although boot times of openelec are great.

Also, i like the having the desktop of xbmcunbtu, granted ive only used it once or twice. But for certain streams which cant be played using an xbmc add on, its great. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu vs. OpenELEC0