XBMCbuntu vs. OpenELEC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
marshcroft Offline
I also say xbmcbuntu, I have gone back and forth with them both, I currently have 4 systems running, currently 2 xbmcbuntu, 1 openelec, and 1 crystalbuntu on an ATV1,

Openelc
Pros
Quick and easy to install and very easy to update
Fast bootup times
simple things just work out of the box ( i.e remote controls )

Cons
customization is just painful, you cant tweak anything at the OS level ( While this is not needed for most people and obviously isn't needed for me on 1 machine hence I have Openelec )
While Openelec has recently got more plugin support there is still plugins that will just not work due to the OS level ( Swiss Army knife is a good example )

XBMCBUNTU

Pros
Customization with little limits
Huge user base for support

Cons
You need to know a basic understanding of Linux ( For instance if you want to setup a static IP or DNS servers, this is all done in the OS command line level, unlike Openelec which is a plugin)

One issue you get on both of these versions due to being Linux is no Netflix support, personally I could care less for it as I find Hulu and Amazon Prime will give you more content that Netflix can but some people are very attached to Netflix and in that case you should look at XBMC running on M$ or Apple.
find quote
jp2code Offline
Hi,

Just adding a little to this almost gone thread.

IIRC, Netflix went to Silverlight some time ago to meet with Digital Rights Management pressure from big companies like Sony. It used Flash before this, and there were simple ways (I hear) of capturing the stream.

Universal is talking about a minimal Linux install. There is an old thread on the AVS Forum on how to setup Ubuntu (LINK). I know NOTHING about Linux, but I wanted to ask: Is this the type of "minimal install" someone would need to do?

Could XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC, or anything else be configured to run/boot off a USB flash drive or card reader? I'm a Windows developer and I really only understand Windows, but I am interested in evaluating one of these Linux flavors.

I tried Ubuntu in the past, but immediately had to install my NVIDIA ION driver. This required a reboot, and when it rebooted, it either loaded fresh from the CD (i.e. needed to install the video driver again) or I could pull out the CD and the PC would boot to Windows.

I looked into installing Ubuntu as a second OS on my HTPC, but the primary drive is already partitioned with my Recovery sector, a C:\ drive, and a D:\ drive for RecordedTV.
find quote
tdhz77 Offline
(2013-01-05 18:37)jp2code Wrote:  Could XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC, or anything else be configured to run/boot off a USB flash drive or card reader? I'm a Windows developer and I really only understand Windows, but I am interested in evaluating one of these Linux flavors.

Yes, both can be installed from USB.
It was clear from your post that you were a windows developer by the questions you asked. Wink
find quote
gdub Offline
When people say slow bootup times, what are we talking about here? Like 10 seconds openelec and 30 seconds XBMCbuntu?
(This post was last modified: 2014-02-07 18:48 by gdub.)
find quote
surfarcher Offline
Another consideration in the XBMCbuntu vs OpenELEC argument is addins. At least one very popular addin doesn't currently work in OpenELEC, but does in XBMCbuntu. The same may be true of others.
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
wat

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
DaveNinja Offline
(2014-02-07 18:48)gdub Wrote:  When people say slow bootup times, what are we talking about here? Like 10 seconds openelec and 30 seconds XBMCbuntu?

for me on my celeron NUC with a mSATA drive, it was like 7 seconds to boot Openelec and like 9 for XBMCbuntu. I'm finding XBMCbuntu much easier to tweak (and set up a tvheadend back end on) so i dont mind the extra 2 seconds of boot time (also since I just leave it on all the time)
find quote
Saner Offline
I am just going to echo uNiversal on this one.

I run Openelec on my MacMini and its fantastic, it really is if you just want XBMC and thats it, then go with Openelec, but I want to do other things on my main HTPC so its Ubuntu minimal then XBMC by itself.

No crap running that is not needed and enough flexibility for my needs.

I have never felt the need to time the boot (after post) so that should say all you need to know about the bootup time Tongue
find quote
koajx89 Offline
Does the boot time realy matter that much for you guys ? Smile

Xbmcbuntu takes me about 10 - 20 sec to boot so i dont complain
find quote
waver123 Offline
same here for me I can't tell quite any difference between the two's boot time, but then I'm running from ssd.

for me I've switch between openelec and xbmcbuntu, pretty much the options I need to change I figure out how to do on both and they're mostly simple stuff. Lately I've switched back to a recent openelec nightly gotham build since for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get xbmcbuntu's hw vaapi acceleration working on my haswell nuc i5 box (the same image works fine on my ivy nuc i3), since I found a openelec build that works I just switched back to it Smile
find quote
uNiversal Offline
Out of Memory
afaikc xbmcbuntu is too old to support haswells follow http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707 or stick to OE.
find quote
Chico0106 Offline
I don't know what I'm doing wrong I installed minimal but xbmc will not start I keep getting terminal
find quote
uNiversal Offline
Out of Memory
Try the beta XBMCbuntu <-
(This post was last modified: 2014-04-09 09:55 by uNiversal.)
find quote
patseguin Offline
Donor
I was convinced right here on these forums to try OpenElec and I haven't looked back. Make sure you enable "wait for network" in the OpenElec settings. As for the lockups, I found personally it was because OE was making itself master browser. I forget the actual directory, but if you ssh in and look for (I think) /storage/.config/ or something like that you will see a samba.conf.sample. vi that and change anything relating to Master Browser to no and reboot. I'll bet your lockups will stop. Here is what I changed and saved as samba.conf:

preferred master = no
domain master = no
local master = no
printcap name = /dev/null

I haven't had a lockup since. My theory is that OE was fighting for Master Browser and causing network problems which caused the system to lockup.

Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x 3TB drives and DSM 5.0
Main HTPC: Home built Intel core i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Rii micro keyboard remote, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, OpenElec 4.1.2
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony Google TV, OpenElec 4.1.2
find quote