Linux Please help me understand what's going on (pictures included)
Question 
Hello everyone,

I've been having this problem with huge FPS dips at scene changes during playback of certain shows (mostly cartoons) that result in stuttering playback and muted audio that eventually catches back up to the video. I tracked it down through trial and error to being an audio setting causing the problem.

When i first boot the system and launch xbmc this is what the audio output device selection looks like:
The available selection are limited to what is shown here and pulseaudio, custom is not an option.

After i quit xbmc and re-launch this becomes available:

After changing this setting my FPS issues disappear. This happens under eden and frodo, KDE and unity, ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10, as well as debian sid. It happens with pulseaudio and alsa, gstreamer and vlc phonon backends. What is happening here? How do i force xbmc to use the 2nd setting at all times? I've tried manually specifying the audio device listed via aplay -l and even that does not solve my FPS issues, only the exact steps above do. After a reboot this all starts over again.

Thanks for any help!
Make sure that your /home/xbmc/.xbmc/ is owned by the username (if its not your settings are not saved. hence when you reboot you have to do it again.

login via ssh (as your user NOT root superuser)

Code:
ls -all /home/xbmc/.xbmc/

should say something like

Code:
drwxr-xr-x  8 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 20 10:08 .
drwxr-xr-x  8 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 23 07:24 ..
drwxr-xr-x 20 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 20 18:21 addons
drwxr-xr-x  2 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 20 10:08 media
drwxr-xr-x  2 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 20 10:08 sounds
drwxr-xr-x  2 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 20 10:08 system
drwxr-xr-x  6 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 23 11:04 temp
drwxr-xr-x  8 xbmc xbmc 4096 Oct 22 22:35 userdata

WARNING
To remedy this and ensure your username can write to the files like guisettings.xml do: (make sure where it says xbmc its your username) and make sure YOUR IN CORRECT DIRECTORY when DOING this and its the correct USERNAME IF its not this can seriously bork your system if your not in correct directory or use wrong username

consider this your only WARNING

to find out what's your username do:

Code:
echo $USER
and replace xbmc with the username you see NOT root!! when in doubt dont CHOWN anything

Code:
cd /home/xbmc/.xbmc/
sudo chown xbmc:xbmc -R *

Also your xbmc user is added to audio group

to see if it is (before you change anything!!) do:

Code:
id xbmc
and it should look like

Code:
uid=1000(xbmc) gid=1000(xbmc) groups=1000(xbmc),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),104(fuse)

if it doesn't look like that do:

try:
Code:
sudo adduser xbmc users
usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc

then
Code:
id xbmc
to confirm

where it says xbmc it should be your username (preferably your install will be installed with username=xbmc but not necessary if you done it right)

if you do something wrong in your CHOWN your system will not boot!

having said that you should know some Linux and how it works what chown command is

good luck!

uNi
@touser:
The new frodo build uses Audio Engine. Make sure that you don't have a faulty .asoundrc in your home directory.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@touser:

Is anything going on with this? You fixed it?

Please reply so we can move on or see if we can help.

+1

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me understand what's going on (pictures included)0