Bug Help me test for a possible bug in MQ4 skin
Though I have already posted my problem with "never ending" download (and got no feedback) this time I would kindly ask you to verify or dismiss my findings so I can be sure that this happens only on my system and it is up to me (though everything is OK in Confluence) to remedy the problem or I can be postive it is indeed the skin fault and use something else.

Here's what I would kindly ask you to try:

Start a streaming video (720 or 1080 movie prefferably) off the net from whatever service (plugin) you use (I have tried What the Furk, Furk Library 2 and Easynews Plugin from Mickey1234) in MQ4. Now skip forward in time (use specific time by punching in numbers or skip predifined time by pressing right or up). Wait for video to continue. Now stop the video. Go and verify at your modem/router (there should be no countinuous lights flashing) that the download has actually stopped. If you have lights still flashing than "congrats" as you have the same problem as I. You could wait (I have tried at least 10 minutes) for an eternity but the download won't stop by itself no matter what.

Finally you might need to kill the xbmc task in order to stop the download and exit.

Now change your skin to Confluence and repeat the drill using the same video as with MQ4. Now download stops immediately. This is a skin related problem.

Attention: Video wiill stop correctly even in MQ4 if you don't skip in time This is why it could have gone unoticed to a regular guy who watches the movie in one go or doesn't try out different releases a lot.

Please post you findings with note of a plugin and media used.

Thanks

OK. I've tested it on my laptop and it's the same. The only thing desktop machine and laptop have in common is Kaspersky Antivirus. Tried to turn it off, No difference.

Why won't just anyone post anything related to this is beyond me. At least I've expected a couple of posts denying the problem.

This is not about asking for solution or urging developers to fix a problem. Just asking fellow users to try a simple task, which they probably did by themselves without beeing asked, but this time paying little attention to the behavior of their modem/router.

Still, I thank 70 people you for reading the above message.

I'm sorry you are frustrated by a lack of response to your questions, but be patient and I am sure somebody will answer if they have the same problem.

That being said, I can't figure out how this could be a skin issue. As far as I am aware, all functions to do with playing videos are handled by core xbmc code, rather than the skin which only calls the functions.

If I've misunderstood you I apologise, but perhaps you should try another build?
(2012-10-26, 09:47)Tomkun Wrote: I'm sorry you are frustrated by a lack of response to your questions, but be patient and I am sure somebody will answer if they have the same problem.

That being said, I can't figure out how this could be a skin issue. As far as I am aware, all functions to do with playing videos are handled by core xbmc code, rather than the skin which only calls the functions.

If I've misunderstood you I apologise, but perhaps you should try another build?

Thank you for your response.

How can this be skin related, you ask? What would you conclude if changing ONLY THE SKIN, changes the behavior of XBMC.

test situation:

XBMC 11 (tried Frodo nightly also), What the furk (Furk library and Easyness plugin also) addon, MQ4, play and skip in any video (tried mostly 720 and 1080 videos), - (playback is stopped), STREAMING DOESN'T STOP after STOP is pressed

XBMC 11 (tried Frodo nightly also), What the furk (Furk library and Easyness plugin also) addon, CONFLUENCE, play and skip in any video (tried mostly 720 and 1080 videos), - (playback is stopped), STREAMING STOPS after STOP is pressed

Could you do a test?
I don't have any of those plugins, but if I have a chance I will install and test one or all of them.
Ok. Step forward now. This is the reply from BigNoid over at the AEON NOX forum to this problem.

"MQ4 and Nox 4.0 are completely different codewise. And in turn both make use of far more features of the skinning engine then Confluence. So if it doesnt happen in Confluence but it does in other skins does not necessarily make it a skin problem. You already have a thread open about your problem so I'll close this one."

He does not deny it could be skin associated. It is something that skin uses and not the skin itself. Yes, but Cirrus Extended V2 and Experience1080 are also complex skins and they don't pose a problem in this matter. Wasn't I told that it simply has nothing to do with skin?

I am inclined to think it is AEON related (or related to something both skins use) as both NOX and MQ4 experience same symptoms.
I have tried everything (changing NIC drivers, different XBMC versions, clean installs, and even other computers) to make it work properly as I like the skin functionality, but no dice.

Today with plenty of bandwidth and online content, streaming capabilities of a HTPC are must. Unfortunately AEON skins works against you in this matter. My conclusion is that they are suboptimal for viewing online content and their use could result in bandwidth loss. Anyone who thinks otherwise look at the examples above.

I just hope that some of you who read this theread have actually tested. For the sake of your viewing pleasure. Just, don't you dare to respond :-)
I wasn't able to reproduce your problem using my Canada on demand plugin, but I think I can at least help troubleshoot yours a little. You should look into a program called wireshark. If you install this on your XBMC machine it will track and log all network communication to and from your machine. Once you have it installed I would start it logging before pressing play on your show, and then follow your steps to reproduce the issue. Wait a minute or so (not to long or the logs will get big) and then stop the logging. Now you can have a look at the log and see what specific program/port/protocol is being kept open if any. I really wouldn't trust the blinking lights on your router as an indication of much as it could be doing anything from a WOL test to a system update from your client causing it to glow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me test for a possible bug in MQ4 skin0