• 3(current)
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics
Check out these boards by Wibtek. Never heard of them but It looks like they build quality stuff, judging on the catalogue. Solid caps (not like the image on the site) and a realtek audio chip as opposed to the VIA chip on the ECS boards.
(2012-10-28, 06:14)Jasp Wrote: Found another company called Wibtek that are pretty new to the motherboard game, using the same chipset.

Cant find anyone that stocks them though.

http://www.wibtek.com/

(2012-10-31, 19:18)Jeeebus Wrote: Check out these boards by Wibtek. Never heard of them but It looks like they build quality stuff, judging on the catalogue. Solid caps (not like the image on the site) and a realtek audio chip as opposed to the VIA chip on the ECS boards.

Right, that's the trick, finding stock at a retailer and finding it consistently and without it being ridiculously priced. I've found some great i3 mobile boards but they need to be imported from China and they aren't cheap. This is the first non-Atom, embedded Intel motherboard that's generally available and not a fortune that I've seen.

I am hoping this might be a trend and we'll see more embedded motherboards like this. This < $100 and a ULV i3 with HD4000 < $200 would be ideal.

Did I mention Netflix HD works?!
The only retailers I found selling Wibtek products are in South Africa and Turkey. I tried to email Wibtek to ask about retailers in the US and what the boards will cost but both their emaildresses don't work.

What kind of 1080p files did you try? I've got some high bitrate movies, between 18 and 40 Mbps, and I was wondering if this board would handle them.
I tried a MKV rip of Disney's Secret of the Wings and Tinkerbell's the Lost Treasure (there is a nasty panning scene at the beginning). It has Intel 2000 HD graphics so it's not a surprise. I'll look and see what else I have. Things are getting back to normal post-hurricane superfrankenstorm Sandy so I should be able to get back to some more testing.
Paired with a GT520 would this handle some really high bitrates without dropping frames?

I've got some MKVs with 70-80meg sustained for several minutes?
If there is a list somewhere of various movie bitrates I can look at the list and see if I have any high bitrate movies. I have Star Trek I can try. I've never paid attention to the bitrate of my rips. They just all play on anything I have.

[Edit] Found some samples here. I'll give the first one a try. http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-high-bitrat...le-videos/
I got the Scythe Mini Ultra Kaze (40mm x 20mm) and have replaced the stock HSF with it. It's almost silent! You have to put your ear right up to it to hear anything. Yay!

With everything installed into the S197-H80 (optical drive, SSD, cabling, fan) Prime95 large FFTs has it running up around 77C (max is 100C) according to Speedfan, though the case still feels pretty cool to the touch. I have a 40mm x 10mm I am going to install as a case fan to help with some ventiliation.

Awesome!!

I also downloaded and played the 40mbps "Birds" clip (1080p MKV h.264 high profile 4.1 40mbps) from the link above. It played absolutely flawlessly while using around 22% CPU. Intel 2000 HD GPU FTW!

[Edit] the VC-1 clip also plays without problem.

Some more Netflix HD testing. My HD choice is "Serenity". CPU ranges from 78%-95% and it plays as good as Netflix can play. Netflix is never smooth and perfect so this as good as it gets.
Nice Dougie... so what is your conclusion to this board?
For extreme testing I found these....

http://jellyfish.satch.com/

120 Mbps on the top end.
What is Intel HD graphics like in Linux? aka how would this handle OpenELEC?
(2012-11-02, 20:03)plupien79 Wrote: For extreme testing I found these....

http://jellyfish.satch.com/

120 Mbps on the top end.

I played the 80 and 120 clips and didn't see any artifacts, stuttering or anything like that so I guess it can handle it Huh.
(2012-11-02, 12:42)Beer40oz Wrote: Nice Dougie... so what is your conclusion to this board?

So far, so good. I can't speak for the longevity of it or how it works with XBMC or OpenELEC yet (those'll come next).

Pros:
- Faster than Atom/Zacate
- Plays Netflix HD (albeit at 90% CPU)
- Has Intel 2000 HD GPU so plays everything it does
- Very low power
- Inexpensive for CPU/GPU/motherboard combo
- Fits in very small cases where a desktop HSF would get in the way

Cons:
- Noisy stock fan
- Runs warm (although upper limit is 100C so maybe it's meant to)
- Apps are a bit slow to start (I worry about lag here for day-to-day stuff)
- Biostar brand doesn't have best reputation
On that recommendation, I'm gonna order one up.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini-ITX motherboard with Sandy Bridge mobile Celeron 847 and Intel HD Graphics1