Adding custom menus, sources, etc
I currently have a bunch of Documentaries and Skate videos in my library, which I would like to categorize separately so that they don't show up in movies.

What I would like to do is create separate sections in my home menu for Documentaries and Skate Videos. I would like these to have images and metadata pulled in, but I would also not want them to show up in the movies section.

Any ideas?

Smart playlists.

Create a new area to store them (outside of where your movies are). Create a playlist where "path..contains" the path to the root of your skate vids. Enable this playlist on your main menu. Do the same for each section.

Here is the key part. They will still appear in your movies so to stop this, create a playlist with "path...contains" the path to your actual movies. Enable this playlist and hide your standard "movies" item on the home screen.

I have done something similar using the Night skin to allow me to have Films, 3D Films, Stand-up Comedy, Sports without everything all appearing in just "Movies"

I can walk you through it if you like showing exactly where to go using the Night skin so you can try it in your chosen skin
That would be awesome...I attempted to use smart playlists before but I had little success
OK...here goes...Install the Night Skin first (as it's the skin I use and can therefore say precisely where to go, you'll have to find the equivalent options in your own skin, though the playlist we create should still be available) - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133768

Step 1 - Getting the media in the correct place
You'll need to have something like
C:\Movies\
C:\Skate\
C:\Documentaries\
I'll refer to them like this throughout, you can just substitute the paths you are using

Step 2 - Creating playlists
On the main menu go to Videos, Movies or TV Shows - go to the submenu and choose Files
Hit Backspace
Choose Playlists
Choose "New Smart Playlist"
Type = Movies
Name = Movies
"Add" a rule and choose (Paths) - (contains) - C:\Movies
"OK" and save it
DO the same thing again for "Skate", and again for "Documentaries"

Step 3 - Adding them to the homescreen
Go to Settings --> Skin --> Custom Home
Go to Custom Playlist 1 and hit Enter
Choose "Set Label" and enter "Movies"
Choose "Set Playlist" and choose Movies.xsp (this is the playlist we created in Step 2)
Go to Custom Playlist 2 and hit Enter
Choose "Set Label" and enter "Skate"
Choose "Set Playlist" and choose Skate.xsp (this is the playlist we created in Step 2)
Go to Custom Playlist 3 and hit Enter
Choose "Set Label" and enter "Documentaries"
Choose "Set Playlist" and choose Documentaries.xsp (this is the playlist we created in Step 2)

Step 4 - Getting rid of the original "Movies" option that would show everything together
Go to Settings --> Skin --> Home Window
Select which Menu Items you would like to hide (Definitely choose to hide Movies as this is the one that would show EVERYTHING all together)

I personally hide Videos, Movies, HD Movies, Pictures, Favourites, Weather, Shutdown

My homescreen shows Music, TV Shows, Films, 3D Films, Comedy, Sport, Addons, Settings (Films, 3D Films, Comedy and Sport are all playlists I created as described)

Let me know if you need any more help. If you struggle to get it to work with your chosen skin, let me know which skin you are using and I'll see what I can do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding custom menus, sources, etc0