Should I Bi the Pi?
(Bad spelling intentional! Tongue)

So, I have a very nice running HTPC which I used to use for some gaming as well. It is a very capable HTPC, but nowadays, I am only using XBMC on it. I'd like to start conserving some power, reduce noise, and frankly free up some space in my entertainment center. I started looking at different options, and the Raspberry Pi seems like a good alternative for a cheap and dedicated XBMC platform. I use a Denon receiver to decode my audio. I'm wondering what the negatives are in moving from a full blown HTPC to a Raspberry PI, keeping in mind I will ONLY use it to run XBMC. Are there better options for a dedicated XBMC box that I should consider (jailbroken AppleTV, Port of XBMC to the Samsung Smart TV (DREAMING of course).....lol!
Rather than reinvent the wheel, you may want to browse through some of the existing threads in the Raspberry Pi Support subforum for comments/questions from existing Pi owners regarding how well XBMC runs on it, any issues, limitations, etc.

Unless you'll be paying an arm and a leg for shipping/handling on top of the purchase price of $35, the cost is so low it may be worthwhile to just buy it and try it. If it doesn't perform well for your XBMC needs, you can redeploy it for some other purpose, such as file and/or print server.

If your need is not immediate, you may choose to wait until XBMC for Android is ready for primetime and then low-cost devices such as the Pivos XIOS may be viable options.
xbmc is still in ALPHA version
raspbmc,openelec,xbian are all three in beta versions.
raspberry pi is not stable, u will not have a peace of mind...
my opinion stay with your current build until further notice.
Further to the above.

Assuming you use openELEC, which version of XBMC do you use, sounds like theres a version for openELEC, however where is the download for it?

I notice the RSS feed says theres an openELEC v11 with PVR support, however how do i find the download?

I assume you just load openELEC on the RPI then copy XBMC on to it, however how do you "install" XBMC on to a RPI?
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2016 - www.ashleygriffin.ca
Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#Install (wiki)
You can find latest builds at http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/

As for the original posters question. I ordered an original pi when they were first announced and then bought a 512mb one as a dedicated xbmc box after i'd played about with the 256 model.

For me it was a no brainer. My main PC which had acted as a media server to my smart TV/PS3 is a bohemoth of a power hog with 3 monitors, sli'd gfx cards, and multiple hard drives which was being left on 24/7 even tho i hardly used it (admitedly i was too lazy to keep switching it on and off Smile ). The opportunity to swap out this for something that consumes no more power than a mobile phone charger was just too tempting to pass up. Sure its not as fast as XBMC on a "proper" PC and some of the heavier themes will slow responsiveness down but it is no slower than the UI on my Sony smart TV and for watching movies/TVshows it is perfect for my needs.
I have a 256mb Pi with Raspbmc running, usually, the latest nightly builds. It's over clocked to the "super" profile and is my main media centre now replacing my long serving htpc.

I use the iOS remote app to queue media and this negates the sluggish UI becoming a headache. For £30 you can't go wrong to give it a try - infact I urge you to do so!
Asus P8H77-V LE, BIOS 0237 | Intel i5 3470 3.2ghz | 8GB RAM | TX750W Corsair PSU | 60GB OCZ SSD | 500GB data drive
nooone mentioned a pivos xios yet?

They are standalone boxes that are very small and inobtrusive and the company supports xmbc development.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I Bi the Pi?0