Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?
Just wondering who if anyone is running XBMC on Win 8 on their HTPC?

I ran one of the pre-release Win 8's and though it worked great I could never get the audio right.
No matter how many times I set it to use the nvidia driver it always defaulted back to a generic windows driver and would only output 2 channel.

Anyone?
I'm very tempted to pick up a copy (seeing as it's only $40 for an upgrade license), and dual-boot to check it out.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I switched to win8 3 months ago. Everything is working as it should.
Since the option to run WMC on boot is gone, I won't be able to use Win8 for my cable TV HTPCs. I was going to try it on my office PC but the upgrade advisor told me a bunch of the apps I use everyday aren't compatible. It looks like it's Win7 for the time being.
Quick question for everyone. I scored 4 full windows 8 pro keys through IEEE and have updated my systems in other rooms which work great and faster now. My main question in if I update my main living-room PC from W7 to W8 will I lose all the setting and programs such as SAB and Sick-beard etc? My main pc is what all other devices stream from and it is all set up with those programs and I don't really feel like having to go through the set up process again. Does anyone have any experience in updating there system? Did the old settings with SAB, Sick-beard and xbmc remain? Also MySQL databases? Let me know.
(2012-10-26, 21:14)dtviewer Wrote: Just wondering who if anyone is running XBMC on Win 8 on their HTPC?

I ran one of the pre-release Win 8's and though it worked great I could never get the audio right.
No matter how many times I set it to use the nvidia driver it always defaulted back to a generic windows driver and would only output 2 channel.

Anyone?

I'm running windows 8 on my bedroom htpc with xbmc and it works great. Start up is faster, no issues running xbmc for me.
(2012-10-27, 00:28)Palmer Wrote:
(2012-10-26, 21:14)dtviewer Wrote: Just wondering who if anyone is running XBMC on Win 8 on their HTPC?

Anyone?

I'm running windows 8 on my bedroom htpc with xbmc and it works great. Start up is faster, no issues running xbmc for me.

Is that with AC3 and DTS or just stereo?
Thanks
In bedroom it's just running sound through the stereo tv speakers, still waiting to find good deal on a decent soundbar.
I'm running a windows 8 build at the moment picked it up yesterday works fantastic except for sound over hdmi problems will be a driver problem.
I have it set up to auto boot into xbmc and use flirc with my normal tv remote the whole thing just works great would recommend win 8 definitely
It's just driver support was my biggest headache running with compatibility set to windows 98 me, fixed it for my asus h55d-m evo mobo
Yeah my bedroom HTPC boots in 10 seconds with W8. The system is a Celeron G540, 4gm ram, and an 90gb ssd. Ive just been using the remote to select the xbmc on the first tile to use xbmc, haven't bothered figuring out how to auto boot into xbmc yet as its so fast booting and with just a click of the remote xbmc comes up.
(2012-10-27, 20:08)ZombieRobot Wrote: I'm running a windows 8 build at the moment picked it up yesterday works fantastic except for sound over hdmi problems will be a driver problem.
I have it set up to auto boot into xbmc and use flirc with my normal tv remote the whole thing just works great would recommend win 8 definitely
It's just driver support was my biggest headache running with compatibility set to windows 98 me, fixed it for my asus h55d-m evo mobo

Seems like the same issue I had...I couldnt get surround sound over HDMI.
Was a driver problem also.
I updated to test it out and ended up rolling back to W7. It looks promising, but I ran into the following issues:

- You are not able to navigate most Metro UI apps using just a keyboard/remote. I had updated hoping to use the Metro interface as a great HTPC frontend to easily switch between XBMC and the Metro Netflix app. Unfortunately, the Netflix app requires a mouse to start recently watched items.
- Speaking of the Netflix app, I couldn't actually get it to work. It logged in fine and I was able to browse the catalogue, but when I tried to play a video it would give me an error code. I tried to search for more info online, and while I found others with the problem, there were no solutions on how to fix it.
- I couldn't find a way to start Eventghost on launch, even though it was in the startup folder. You might be able to schedule a task to do it, but I was incredibly annoyed that something as simple as launching a program on startup/login was such a pain-in-the-ass to get working.

In short... it has promise, but right now it's just simply not quite there.
I have to chime in with Marchan:

I tried it yesterday since Netflix have released a app which actually can use the GFX cards Video Decoding feature. So I wanted to boot into the gui formerly known as "Metro" (Modern UI) and create only the tiles for Netflix XBMC and a few others I might Need. It is actually a nice interface IF it was optimized for use with a remote.

Problem No. 1: Because XBMC isn't a Modern UI app the Modern UI Gui minimizes and display the desktop and then starts XBMC. When I exit XBMC Windows displays the Desktop and not Modern UI and I have no means of getting back to the Modern GUI without grabbing my Keyboard or mouse.

Problem No. 2: The Tiles on the Modern UI is not made for use on a Big TV since I only have 3 or 4 tiles it is a very little area of the screen being used. The Store has a nice layout with a lot bigger Tiles but the option to use these on the main Screen is not present. Shortcuts created for a program like XBMC is only able to be a square. Only Modern UI specific Apps can have the wide tile which sucks because I want the biggest possible tiles when using my Big screen TV

Problem No. 3: Not a Windows problem but a Netflix App problem, You have to tab to go between the sections of the App. If I have highlighted a movie but want to go to the genre I have to use the Tab key on my Keyboard or my mouse to choose it... This isn't possible with a regular Windows Mediacenter Remote, not as far as I know.

All of this means that I have to get my Keyboard or my mouse if I want to use the Mediacenter and this is why I opt. for a dedicated box instead of using my Laptop and just hooking that up to the TV, I just want to be able to navigate using the Remote.

I might as well just install Openelec again and buy an AppleTV to handle Netflix which isn't practical but it works a lot easier than the Modern UI Gui.

Maruchan: you should be able to get auto startup using the path here: "C:\Users\<User Profile folder name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
[quote='maruchan' pid='1225026' dateline='1351479663']
I updated to test it out and ended up rolling back to W7. It looks promising, but I ran into the following issues:

- You are not able to navigate most Metro UI apps using just a keyboard/remote.[QUOTE]This is so stupid, I mean - really, really stupid.
I thought to myself: This is easy. My XBOX360 is being controlled Metro-Style using my controller. Since I can connect my controller to my PC, I should be able to control Windows, or at least the Metro-Screen, with my XBOX360-Controller. But no. That's not working. Seriously, how stupid is that from MS?

[quote]- I couldn't find a way to start Eventghost on launch, even though it was in the startup folder. You might be able to schedule a task to do it, but I was incredibly annoyed that something as simple as launching a program on startup/login was such a pain-in-the-ass to get working.[/quote]Mhm, that's strange. Ran Win8 for a few weeks (and still in a testing-env), all my applications started fine from the startup-folder...

[QUOTE]In short... it has promise, but right now it's just simply not quite there.
[/quote]I tried it. I really tried it, despite the fact that my brain screamed "IDIOTIC" as soon as I heard from Metro. I got into it, I didn't hate it (which - reading comments on other forums/blogs - is something uncommon, apparantly?), but I also saw exactly NO benefits in using it. It wasn't faster as my Win7 installation - in no way (although I'm running on a SSD, that probably takes away the performance-enhancements Win8 got), it wasn't easier or nicer to use, etc.
All in all I'll be staying at 7 at least until SP1 hits. Maybe we'll see some improvements there.

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

I upgraded my server, if you will, from windows 7 to windows 8 pro.

I then went and turned on a client machine, if you will, to see if it was seeing the media over my network, it is not, on the client machine it says something is locked and is asking for a username and password, what does this mean?

thanks
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?0