Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?
Running Kodi on a Win8.1 works fine except I have to reboot overtime I want to watch a show or whatever.
My HTPC is running 24/7 (for downloading) and when I finish watching I just turn off the receiver (Marantz SR6006, connected through HDMI) and TV.
When I want to watch something I turn on the receiver and TV again and then the audio output is set to stereo instead of 5.1 surround.

Every time I turn off the receiver, W8 doesn't see the receiver anymore and switches from 5.1 to stereo.
Can't find a way to force it to stay on 5.1
Now I have to reboot every time I want to watch something with 5.1 sound.......that sucks big time.....or leave the receiver on 24/7.....

Anyone has a solution for this problem??
(2015-01-02, 20:44)Ridder Wrote: Running Kodi on a Win8.1 works fine except I have to reboot overtime I want to watch a show or whatever.
My HTPC is running 24/7 (for downloading) and when I finish watching I just turn off the receiver (Marantz SR6006, connected through HDMI) and TV.
When I want to watch something I turn on the receiver and TV again and then the audio output is set to stereo instead of 5.1 surround.

Every time I turn off the receiver, W8 doesn't see the receiver anymore and switches from 5.1 to stereo.
Can't find a way to force it to stay on 5.1
Now I have to reboot every time I want to watch something with 5.1 sound.......that sucks big time.....or leave the receiver on 24/7.....

Anyone has a solution for this problem??
Update your graphics driver? What type of CPU or GPU are you running? On my machine, I have a Pentium G3220 and had a similar issue under W8.1. In my case, if I powered off the receiver (a very similar Marantz model) and/or TV, when it came back up, I'd have no audio at all - Intel Display Audio would just be disabled in Device Manager. Intel updated their driver around June this year, and ever since I've been relatively problem-free.
My HTPC has a FM2A75 Pro4-M mobo with A10 proc and integrated AMD Radeon HD 7000 series graphics in A-series APU.
AFAIK I have the latest graphics driver, but I will have a look at it......never looked in the graphics department for sound problems....
Updated the Radeon drivers, but still the same issue: when I turn off the receiver and back on, it switches from 5.1 to stereo.....and stays on stereo.....only a reboot fixes this.
Now I have to reboot every time I want to watch something with surround sound.
Or leave the receiver on 24/7.....
Should have gone with Intel
(2015-02-19, 05:57)rasstar Wrote: Should have gone with Intel

No. I use AMD 5400 series cards in all my HTPCs, they're only £18 and work fine (all connected to AVRs).
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2015-01-03, 14:11)Ridder Wrote: Updated the Radeon drivers, but still the same issue: when I turn off the receiver and back on, it switches from 5.1 to stereo.....and stays on stereo.....only a reboot fixes this.
Now I have to reboot every time I want to watch something with surround sound.
Or leave the receiver on 24/7.....

i'm aware of this problem and did a few years ago a search on the big www.
On the avsforum there was a post about edid override. They shared a *.inf file for my marantz receiver and a panasonic plasma tv.
This *inf file was for an one year older receiver and tv, but i installed this and have no more problems with losing my connection with my receiver.

Sorry for my bad english.Tongue

edit this is the link to the thread on avsforum edid override
Using Windows 8.1 for Media Center. Looks perfect in a LCD TV.
Same here. I use win 8.1 just for wmc which is imo the best pvr software.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?0