Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?
I'm having trouble with XBMC in Win 8. All was running fine on Windows 7. I did a clean install with Windows 8 and with the same XBMC settings and build. In Win 8 when a video first starts, the video will play for a few seconds and then it will restart. I have also had it skip forward a few times now. I keep trying but I can't make this go away. I don't want to have to re-image my PC back to Win 7. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Is that with an nvidia card?
I had the same problem when I upgraded to the Win 8 306.02 drivers.
When I reverted back to the 302.82 drivers the problem was solved.
Haven't tried the 306.97 or the beta 310.33 drivers so can't comment on those...
(2012-11-07, 21:02)cyradix Wrote: Is that with an nvidia card?
Haven't tried the 306.97 or the beta 310.33 drivers so can't comment on those...

No, it's happening with onboard Intel HD 4000 on a i5-3570k. But you may have a point, I should try another video driver. I haven't tried that!
(2012-11-08, 17:52)pbmpharmacist Wrote:
(2012-11-07, 21:02)cyradix Wrote: Is that with an nvidia card?

No, it's happening with onboard Intel HD 4000 on a i5-3570k. But you may have a point, I should try another video driver. I haven't tried that!

Nope, that didn't work either. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. I'm so tired of this problem!
Finally figured out my problem with file skipping. If it happens to you, try changing your audio device and then watching the offending video. Try each and every one. That's what worked for me.
Went ahead and switched over to Windows 8 last night and all went smooth.
I did a clean install and happy to say everything is working as it should.

Boot times seem a little bit quicker and all menus scroll fast and smooth.

For 39.99 direct from Microsoft I'm happy.
I also was a little hesitant to switch over to Win8, but now I am glad I did. Everything is working great. I had a little trouble with my HD Homerun PRIME, but Silincondust already has a troubleshoot guide for Win8 that fix it right away.
I figure it's better to join this thread than starting a new one. I don't have an htpc in the "traditional sense", but I use my desktop pc as both work computer and media center connected to different screens so basically it's 50% htpc. Anyhow, I did a clean format c: upgrade to win 8 pro 64-bit about 3 weeks ago and well, everything works, but just not as good as it did with win 7. I have to run basically all my software (I use a lot of legacy software) as administrator to not have issues so in my opinion MS has made windows even more unfriendly for power users.

XBMC is no exception. Running it as administrator is mandatory to get everything to work. But the one thing I haven't figured out is that when watching movies (x264 1080 or 720 mkvs) I get choppiness in both video and audio about 3 to 4 times during a movie. It only lasts around 10 seconds each time but this never happened with win 7 64-bit. I suspect it is because of the DAC as it runs with win 7 drivers and I have noticed some problems when playing mp3's too, but I haven't been able to confirm this as it is very random. I'm running spdif passtrough to get DTS or AC3.

How can I try to pinpoint the real cause?
Curious if anyone here is running MySQL to synch multiple instances of XBMC? I have 3 systems running XBMC and the one I updated to Windows 8 is having a problem with the artwork. Since the only difference in the 3 systems is the OS, I am curious if that is the root of the problem. The other 2 systems are on Win7 64bit and work perfectly.

The problem is as follows. I add content to my server, then update the library via one of the Win7 PC's. When I start XBMC on the Win 8 PC it shows the newly added content, but it has no artwork. The content will play, and the description from the scrape is in place and correct, so all the data is there just no images and the show or movie will play fine. So it sees the DB, connects to the DB and gets the updated library, just no artwork. I can go to each movie or show that has been added and tell it to get thumbnails, fan art or whatever and that works, but it somewhat defeats the purpose of the synch.

I am not hard pressed to find a solution, but I would like to know if there is some incompatibility with the MySQL synch of XMBC and Windows 8.

Thanks!
(2012-11-27, 01:14)Merdique Wrote: I figure it's better to join this thread than starting a new one. I don't have an htpc in the "traditional sense", but I use my desktop pc as both work computer and media center connected to different screens so basically it's 50% htpc. Anyhow, I did a clean format c: upgrade to win 8 pro 64-bit about 3 weeks ago and well, everything works, but just not as good as it did with win 7. I have to run basically all my software (I use a lot of legacy software) as administrator to not have issues so in my opinion MS has made windows even more unfriendly for power users.

XBMC is no exception. Running it as administrator is mandatory to get everything to work. But the one thing I haven't figured out is that when watching movies (x264 1080 or 720 mkvs) I get choppiness in both video and audio about 3 to 4 times during a movie. It only lasts around 10 seconds each time but this never happened with win 7 64-bit. I suspect it is because of the DAC as it runs with win 7 drivers and I have noticed some problems when playing mp3's too, but I haven't been able to confirm this as it is very random. I'm running spdif passtrough to get DTS or AC3.

How can I try to pinpoint the real cause?

Did you do a PC refresh? You shouldn't have to do that much administrative control to make everything work properly. Just backup everything first as I found it uninstalls some programs even though it isn't supposed to.

Also you will have to reinstall some if your drivers so just start with your video and audio.

(2012-11-27, 01:24)Diggs Wrote: Curious if anyone here is running MySQL to synch multiple instances of XBMC? I have 3 systems running XBMC and the one I updated to Windows 8 is having a problem with the artwork. Since the only difference in the 3 systems is the OS, I am curious if that is the root of the problem. The other 2 systems are on Win7 64bit and work perfectly.

The problem is as follows. I add content to my server, then update the library via one of the Win7 PC's. When I start XBMC on the Win 8 PC it shows the newly added content, but it has no artwork. The content will play, and the description from the scrape is in place and correct, so all the data is there just no images and the show or movie will play fine. So it sees the DB, connects to the DB and gets the updated library, just no artwork. I can go to each movie or show that has been added and tell it to get thumbnails, fan art or whatever and that works, but it somewhat defeats the purpose of the synch.

I am not hard pressed to find a solution, but I would like to know if there is some incompatibility with the MySQL synch of XMBC and Windows 8.

Thanks!

I got it on my win 8 PC which also works with my raspberry Pi. No issues but are you running Frodo? If not, you should switch. If you already are, double check your advancedsettings.xml file to make sure it doesn't have any of the legacy lines required for previous versions.

If everything seems correct, try running XBMC in windows 7 mode.

(2012-11-07, 19:44)pbmpharmacist Wrote: I'm having trouble with XBMC in Win 8. All was running fine on Windows 7. I did a clean install with Windows 8 and with the same XBMC settings and build. In Win 8 when a video first starts, the video will play for a few seconds and then it will restart. I have also had it skip forward a few times now. I keep trying but I can't make this go away. I don't want to have to re-image my PC back to Win 7. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try a PC refresh. Back everything up first. That should fix it. You will have to redo video and audio drivers though.

Also, you may need to have XBMC run in windows 7 mode.
(2012-11-27, 04:06)Monkeysweat Wrote: Did you do a PC refresh? You shouldn't have to do that much administrative control to make everything work properly. Just backup everything first as I found it uninstalls some programs even though it isn't supposed to.

Also you will have to reinstall some if your drivers so just start with your video and audio.

Nope, as I said, clean format installation and all apps installed from scratch.

Here's a simple example, it's no biggie but just weird that it has to be like this, I run a touchpad server so I can control my pc from my nexus 7, sometimes it's easier to use this in XBMC instead of the official xbmc remote control app, e.g. when changing some settings. This didn't work at first, when starting xbmc the touchpad app stopped working. So I restarted the touchpad server as administrator, and it worked.

And with xbmc itself I couldn't at first access any of my drives, despite that I had turned off UAC. So I restarted XBMC as admin and voila, I could access everything. And now that I think of it, I think the android remote control didn't work at first either until I started running XBMC as administrator.
What is a 'PC refresh' Huh I've never heard of it...
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
i am running windows 8 on my desktop with start8 and couldn't be happier as it gives it a start menu and disables all the charm menus. as for my HTPC, I think I will buy another copy of win8 for it as well.
Just setup a new box - Acer Aspire AX3470 with AMD 6530 GPU and win8 - works great. HD audio and plenty fast - good boot time and silent.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Wish I could get the Metro Netflix App to work...

This guy claims to have it working with his remote. I have it about 60% working but you can't search for anything or get to recently played (among other things)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1305434
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Who is running Windows 8 on their HTPC?0