Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
16GB NAND Flash
1GB DDR3
3 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x SD card reader
1 x Ethernet port
802.11 a/b/g/n

Does anyone know if this will run XBMC Linux?
good luck getting support
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
From what I hear, Rockchips hasn't had the greatest of relationships with open source software.
they seem to be getting on well with android
(2012-10-28, 04:52)Dave_qp Wrote: they seem to be getting on well with android

Apps on Android can be closed source, so that doesn't really mean anything. The big thing is if we can get access to Rockchip's VPU for hardware decoding.
Seems this NEO X5 can run XBMC, see the review here:
http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/201...ox-review/

(2012-10-27, 06:20)Dave_qp Wrote: MINIX NEO X5

Dual Core Cortex A9 (Rockchip RK 3066)
Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
16GB NAND Flash
1GB DDR3
3 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
1 x SD card reader
1 x Ethernet port
802.11 a/b/g/n

Does anyone know if this will run XBMC Linux?

xbmc, yes,

but 1080P using xbmc, no
Software decoding + Ethernet can do 720p mkv no problem, if I had a 1080p tv I would test but unfortunately I do not ;( There has been significant progress made towards getting rk3066 socs to run linux so linux for xbmc could be a possibility on this device but as fard as hw decoding who knows, even without it it still serves a lot of ppls interetests (the average user) just fine though\

On another note: Does anyone know what the recovery hole on the back of this thing does?
So there this guy called AndrewDB who is busy porting Ubuntu to the Rockchip RK 3066 chipset. If all goes to plan we will be able to dual boot between android and ubuntu and while running ubuntu we should get full hardware acceleration for XBMC and all the other awesome bits.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/40717-ub...the-ug802/

The reason he is able to do this is because he had some old(ish) source code but then Andy Kirby from Rikomagic sent him the latest source code for the rk 3066 which is freaking awesome!!
I just bought a Minix Neo X5. Any progres with h/w on xbmc ?
Will this device play mkv 720p and 1080p on Android without any lag ? Can this device pass dd or dts via optical out to ampli receiver ?
Two fantastic infos from Minix Facebook page:
1) huge progress! the coming firmware decoder is almost perfect now. all going to be released this month! stay tuned!
2) another huge progress! xbmc beta with our own hw decoder is also coming soon! already testing!!

When this will be done - only passthrough DD and DTS through optical out and we will have a perfect device Smile
follow their facebook page!
(2013-01-17, 13:26)scOOtt Wrote: Two fantastic infos from Minix Facebook page:
1) huge progress! the coming firmware decoder is almost perfect now. all going to be released this month! stay tuned!
2) another huge progress! xbmc beta with our own hw decoder is also coming soon! already testing!!

When this will be done - only passthrough DD and DTS through optical out and we will have a perfect device Smile

Seriously - they get those two things happening and i'll part with my money. I've got a full desktop tower parked in the living room at the moment, almost exclusively running xbmc. I'd love to get rid of that and just have a nifty little box running android. I just need it to play HD content and have optical out for my old boy receiver. I take it the minix can already deal with a usb IR receiver and MCE remote?
let us know
(2013-01-17, 02:13)scOOtt Wrote: I just bought a Minix Neo X5. Any progres with h/w on xbmc ?
Will this device play mkv 720p and 1080p on Android without any lag ? Can this device pass dd or dts via optical out to ampli receiver ?

Shouldn't you have asked these questions before buying one?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO X51