Why not separate ms code from xbmc logic?
ok, first thing that needs to be said is that i can hack my way around in c, but i still lose every clue when it comes to low-level stuff like memory allocation/paging and dynamic loading of code. so i apologise in advance when this sounds like total nonsense and feel free to point out my mistakes Smile

i'm sure that most people here heard of game mods. some of the bigger game companies (eg. id software) give out an sdk for their game (eg quake iii) after a while, which contains source code for the game logic. with this you can compile a dll file that integrates into the game engine, so you use the services the engine provides (e.g. collision detection or bsp (map) loading functions) and describe how the game works. the actual engine is closed-source and separated from the open-sourced game logic.

so i was thinking, isn't it possible to do the same thing on xbox? build an .xbe that loads .dll files, provides functions for memory allocation, opening files, streaming sound, network functionality, controller input stuff and provide a buffer that you could fill with a 2d bitmap that appears on the screen.

the .xbe would still contain all the ms code and needs to be distributed "underground" (by other party's). but the .dll's can be distributed without legal consequences. so once the .xbe is stable, it won't need much maintenance or updates, and people could just hit an "update me" button to download the new xbmc .dll files (from sourceforge or any http server) for new functionality.

when documented, it could even be a simple framework for people that want to develop for xbox but don't have a devkit.

i have no idea if this even makes sense, or if this would be useless cause of the impact this would have on xbox system resources. lemme know Wink
bloody awesome idea

your welcome to implement it!

after a few days of figuring out everything that needs to be exported u'll probably give in however.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not separate ms code from xbmc logic?0