Linux New 'full' htpc build question
Brick 
Hey all,

I know, this has to be the n-th thread with guys asking for advice for hardware questions, but I did some research upfront and hope you all can help me fill the gaps.
I already have a ZBox ID80 running on my flatscreen in the bedroom running XBMC/OpenElec flawlessly and really enjoying it. After attaching the CEC Adaper, even handling it got very easy without having to grab my phone and the XBMC remote app every time Wink

So now I want to take an approach to the big goal: the HTPC for the living room enjoyment. Two things are important. Low energy footprint and near silent operation. I like the system to run Ubuntu 12.04 because of LTS (I'd run 12.10 if you think that would go better, but as XBMC builds are normally less frequent than new Ubuntu versions I think sticking with a solid base like the LTS would be better). Also I want it to have a bit of resources left, to actually be able to do a few things beside HTPC business (using it as a fallback-workstation for example, as I'm doing much working with Linux desktops at work).

I also want to "throw out" (nearly) all other devices, like the old Boxee Box (didn't work out that well in the end, as I'm located in Germany but most updates stuck around US or UK based services, so pretty much useless for me), the BluRay Player (I'll hold on to it as fallback, but want to run that inside XBMC, too) and the TV tuner (german DVB-S based satellite TV). The last one is very cheap and can't handle HDTV so I was thinking of recycling it anyway but before I buy some new device, I'd like to run it inside XBMC, too.

Media comes via either NFS or SMB from a Synology NAS (a DS1010+) which works great with the OpenElec Box ATM.

My shopping list until now after hours of surfing around this forum is:
  • Silverstone ML03 HTPC case
  • Intel Core i3-3220T
  • Scythe Kozuti low profile cooling fan (as I didn't know if the Shuriken would fit)
  • Sharkoon WPM400 400W PSU with cable management (to reduce clutter in the small case)
  • ASUS P8B75-M LX Mainboard
  • Kingston HyperX DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (as said, I like having a few resources and RAM doesn't cost that much these days)
  • Intel® 330series 2,5" SSD 60 GB (fast boot and a bit space for additional packages and gimmicks in Ubuntu)
  • ASUS GT610-SL-2GD3-L (because of passive cooling, low profile and for a bit of very light gaming in Ubuntu - Minecraft anyone?)
  • Pioneer BDR-207DBK for BluRay playback

What now? I would really appreciate any insights into this build, if there are any known problems when running it with Ubuntu etc. I was going for Intel with dedicated NVidia GPU as - proprietary drivers aside - I had the least trouble getting NVidias drivers to work under Ubuntu and Linux in general as with any others (AMD drivers, Intel bugs etc.)
If someone has some ideas or comments, please don't stop to drop a note. Also, what is still missing is a working DVB-S2 card or USB adapter for working with XBMC/TVHeadEnd (as that seems the way to go with the PVR builds?) so any suggestion for a non-expensive but good and working solution would be greatly appreciated.

And at last but not least I want to thank Eskro for

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...post843683

and

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

as that was of very much help for me in choosing my first box (the ID80) and once again the first posts I went for.
Hoping for comments and suggestions,

Greets,
Jens
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S...ifications

Do you need HDMI? The P8B75-M LX motherboard does not have HDMI. The P8B75-M LE and P8B75-M do however.

When you go with Linux you will have problems replacing your standalone Blu Ray player because Linux does no support playback of Blu Rays :-( At the monent this is only possible with external players ( TMT 5, PowerDVD ) under Windows.
(2012-10-29, 08:06)Dougie Fresh Wrote: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S...ifications

Do you need HDMI? The P8B75-M LX motherboard does not have HDMI. The P8B75-M LE and P8B75-M do however.

That is why I included the extra NVidia Card for. It has VGA, DVI and HDMI.
I would even include a board without video at all but that's hard to find ;-)

(2012-10-29, 08:41)sfuchs Wrote: When you go with Linux you will have problems replacing your standalone Blu Ray player because Linux does no support playback of Blu Rays :-( At the monent this is only possible with external players ( TMT 5, PowerDVD ) under Windows.

Why so? IMHO it is possible using the workaround with MakeMKV and the bluray plug in. OKAY, initial reading will take around 60s according to the docs I found but as I don't watch those regularly that would be a compromise that would work for me.
Oh almost forgot: Any recommendations for a good TV card working with XBMC/tvheadend and europe/german dvb-s(2)?
@j3gr I can recommend this DVB-S2 L4M-Twin S2 ver 6.2 I had it shipped from Germany to the UK. Its great because you can expand it ie add another 2 tuners further down the line.

Admittedly I use VDR but as it has Linux drivers I don't see why it wouldn't work with tvheadend

For no particular reason, I would always get a mobo with an HDMI port. I guess just in case I want to redeploy the machine at a future date, but that's just me
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New 'full' htpc build question0