Windows 8 launch metro app with advanced launcher?
Hi

Just upgraded to Windows 8 pro and checked out Windows store and found the Netlix metro app.
It's really cool and since we don't have a Netflix app that works fully with XBMC, I wanted to hear if its possible to launch Metro apps from within XBMC?

Thanks..
That's a tricky question...
However - I certainly know that it is possible with the method IApplicationActivationManager::ActivateApplication.
This _should_ be invokable by the powershell.

Edit:
Scratch that, there is indeed a way to do this directly:
http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/2012/10/2...mand-line/

He even describes how to set this up for netflix... You then would be able to launch the created shortcut via an add-on like AdvancedLauncher.
Another solution is similiar to how I setup my "SkyGo"-Access directly from XBMC, I added "html" for video-extensions and just used a simple html-site which redirects to a SkyGo link.
Now - in this case you would simply redirect not to a webpage but to a netflix://-link. That should work with Win8
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-10-29, 15:58)HenryFord Wrote: That's a tricky question...
However - I certainly know that it is possible with the method IApplicationActivationManager::ActivateApplication.
This _should_ be invokable by the powershell.

Edit:
Scratch that, there is indeed a way to do this directly:
http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/2012/10/2...mand-line/

He even describes how to set this up for netflix... You then would be able to launch the created shortcut via an add-on like AdvancedLauncher.
Another solution is similiar to how I setup my "SkyGo"-Access directly from XBMC, I added "html" for video-extensions and just used a simple html-site which redirects to a SkyGo link.
Now - in this case you would simply redirect not to a webpage but to a netflix://-link. That should work with Win8

Thank you!!

I can't figure out how to launch it from inside XBMC using advanced launcher, can you help me out?
It seems that Advanced launcher doesn't recognize the shortcut I make.

Update:

Figured it out, made a batch file with the command START netflix://
works like a charm!
Hi guys, I'm glad you found my site. Anyways, I was planning to make an autohotkey script that would help automate this whole process as it is the exact reason I wanted to figure this out. I'm not great with programming so If someone wants to make a "proper" program that would be great, otherwise I'll try and have the script up soon.
(2012-10-29, 21:57)nrk112 Wrote: Hi guys, I'm glad you found my site. Anyways, I was planning to make an autohotkey script that would help automate this whole process as it is the exact reason I wanted to figure this out. I'm not great with programming so If someone wants to make a "proper" program that would be great, otherwise I'll try and have the script up soon.
I'd certainly be willing to look into it - since this is Windows-Specific anyhow, I'd bring up some C#-stuff to do this. What exactly do you have in mind? I just skipped through your page because I'm currently not using Win8, but I'd be willing to dig into it...
I'd guess it's just about tying the links like netflix:// to an application which would be done simply by adding a registry-key?
Give me some input on your thoughts what the program's features should be and I'd take a look into it.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

I don't have windows 8 on my HTPC yet so I'm not 100% sure how the integration would work. But, I imagine there is no easy way to exit Netflix and go back to XBMC with a remote. That would be the main thing.

At the moment I have a script that starts Netflix, and then closes it when escape is pressed ("clear" on my remote). The problem seems to be that I cant get it to focus back on XBMC afterwards. It quits Netflix to the metro start screen.

The other thing that I'm not sure is even possible without scripting mouse movement, is somehow allowing the recently played videos to be selected with a remote. Currently with the keyboard it is not possible that I can tell. Touch or mouse is needed.
Ok, well I made a script that will work for any metro app for anyone interested.
Download or source and instructions here: http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/2012/11/0...-launcher/

Unfortunately the Netflix metro app is not very remote friendly in my opinion, but someone might find this useful. It can also be used with many other apps too that may work better with a remote.
I have just wroten a small tutorial explaining how to start Windows 8 Metro applications directly from Advanced Launcher without the need of any script : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1246914
Great! I didnt know that alt+esc would exit metro and go back to the originating app. Exiting was the big reason I made the script.
i hate that hulu plus doesn't work very elegantly. has anyone tried registering the metro hulu app as a protocol handler so that it can be launched using nrk112's method?
(2013-02-02, 11:18)cracksloth Wrote: i hate that hulu plus doesn't work very elegantly. has anyone tried registering the metro hulu app as a protocol handler so that it can be launched using nrk112's method?

There is a problem with that. In order to register something to launch with a protocol, you need regular command line capabilities. Which is what we are trying to create in the first place. Unfortunately, I dont know how an app is registered when its created so I havent been able to accomplish this.

However, to solve your original problem, you can go to my downloads page and use metrolauncher2.
http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/downloads/

When you download it, just rename it to "hulu plus" and then it should work. It just automates searching for and running whatever program you rename the metrolauncher2.exe to.

thanks for the reply. i'm aware of your autohotkey workaround which works great but i just hate being pulled into the start menu so i was looking for other options. for reference, i was trying to figure out how netflix does it (registering itself as a protocol without referencing an executable). it certainly looks to be possible - i just can't make sense of it.
Start Metro-style apps - New method

Here is a new method to start Metro-style apps from Advanced Launcher (thanks to wolfodeiwolfy). The idea is to create file shortcuts (.lnk) of these apps using the OblyTile applications, and then, start these file shortcuts (.lnk) like any other file shortcuts (.lnk) with Advanced Launcher.

The explaination and tutorial are on the corresponding Advanced Launcher wiki page : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...style_apps
(2014-01-06, 03:21)Angelscry Wrote: Start Metro-style apps - New method

Here is a new method to start Metro-style apps from Advanced Launcher (thanks to wolfodeiwolfy). The idea is to create file shortcuts (.lnk) of these apps using the OblyTile applications, and then, start these file shortcuts (.lnk) like any other file shortcuts (.lnk) with Advanced Launcher.

The explaination and tutorial are on the corresponding Advanced Launcher wiki page : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...style_apps

One step further. Create a new text file named Netflix.bat inside the file using notepad type START netflix:// save and close. now use advanced launcher to link to the .bat file you made to link it to your home screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 launch metro app with advanced launcher?0