Windows 8 launch metro app with advanced launcher?

(2014-03-01, 05:39)Wizard802 Wrote:
(2014-01-06, 03:21)Angelscry Wrote: Start Metro-style apps - New method

Here is a new method to start Metro-style apps from Advanced Launcher (thanks to wolfodeiwolfy). The idea is to create file shortcuts (.lnk) of these apps using the OblyTile applications, and then, start these file shortcuts (.lnk) like any other file shortcuts (.lnk) with Advanced Launcher.

The explaination and tutorial are on the corresponding Advanced Launcher wiki page : http://www.gwenael.org/xbmc/index.php?ti...style_apps

One step further. Create a new text file named Netflix.bat inside the file using notepad type START netflix:// save and close. now use advanced launcher to link to the .bat file you made to link it to your home screen.

Hello, I just got Xbmc today, I'm still learning the terminology. I'm trying to get the Windows 8 Netflix Metro app to launch in Xbmc. I followed the directions using Oblytile to get the .lnk. But I have no idea what to do with this information. Can someone explain it to me, as someone who doesn't know what Advanced Launcher is or how to use it? I would really appreciate it.
Look here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724
In the first post you will found link for manual, wiki page, FAQ, forums and video tutorials.
Thank you, Advanced Launcher looks pretty amazing, I will read all about it
In your case, you just have to create a stand alone launcher pointing to the created .lnk file.
Windows 8.1 with Update, XBMC Frodo Stable
  • ["C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" netflix://] link -- works from both desktop and Advanced Launcher, but, even after disabling UAC and every security setting I can find on IE, can't get rid of the IE security prompt.

• ["C:\Windows\Explorer.exe" netflix://] link -- Works from desktop, but not from Advanced Launcher.

• Batch file: START netflix:// -- popup black command windows make my HTPC look like a hack job. I'll only use this as a last resort.

Why doesn't the explorer.exe link work from Advanced Launcher?

In the meantime, I will be looking into PowerShell/VBScript equivalents of the batch command, to see if I can accomplish the same thing invisibly... Unless someone else has already figured it out. Anyone?
Mhm... did you try to use another browser instead of ie to accomplish it via the first method? So instead of using iexplore you'd use Firefox for example? Don't have an answer to why it doesn't work with explorer, though
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

I just tried on my desktop at work with Firefox and the MS-MAIL app. Firefox asked for a handler, and I chose explorer.exe. It did work, though I still need to try on XBMC.

If all it needs is some intermediary executable to launch that happens to not be explorer, then maybe I can just use wscript.exe with a vbscript that runs "netflix://" for maximum simplicity and minimum cruft. I will try that when I get home too.
I just installed advanced launcher, created the Netflix bat file........then inside XBMC created the Netflix launcher, made it a favorite and NETFLIX works seamlessly............absolutely a great "Team Effort"

Thank you all that shaped this together it really brings Netflix to XBMC!!
For those of us who hate popup black command windows as much as I do:
It also works with wscript.exe and a vbscript containing this: [CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "netflix://"]

Both the batch file and .vbs methods are slow for me with Advanced Launcher--it takes between 3 and 7 seconds for Netflix app to pop up, every time.

Offtopic: I also got both the batch file and wscript working with playercorefactory.xml (and it's lightning-quick, too), but then about half the time after I go back to XBMC, I see the "Click OK when playback has ended" prompt. I guess I'll start another thread for that.
(2014-04-23, 19:30)mesheree Wrote: For those of us who hate popup black command windows as much as I do:
It also works with wscript.exe and a vbscript containing this: [CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "netflix://"]

Both the batch file and .vbs methods are slow for me with Advanced Launcher--it takes between 3 and 7 seconds for Netflix app to pop up, every time.

Offtopic: I also got both the batch file and wscript working with playercorefactory.xml (and it's lightning-quick, too), but then about half the time after I go back to XBMC, I see the "Click OK when playback has ended" prompt. I guess I'll start another thread for that.

Please elaborate on your last sentence please or point me to new thread!!

Thanks!!
iblong: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=193001
(2013-02-02, 23:14)nrk112 Wrote:
(2013-02-02, 11:18)cracksloth Wrote: i hate that hulu plus doesn't work very elegantly. has anyone tried registering the metro hulu app as a protocol handler so that it can be launched using nrk112's method?

There is a problem with that. In order to register something to launch with a protocol, you need regular command line capabilities. Which is what we are trying to create in the first place. Unfortunately, I dont know how an app is registered when its created so I havent been able to accomplish this.

However, to solve your original problem, you can go to my downloads page and use metrolauncher2.
http://www.itsjustwhatever.com/downloads/

When you download it, just rename it to "hulu plus" and then it should work. It just automates searching for and running whatever program you rename the metrolauncher2.exe to.

This works great, though as cracksloth said, I'd like something that doesn't have to search for the app. I'm using the WatchESPN app in Windows 10. I was also wondering if there's an easy way to get it to open fullscreen instead of windowed?
You can create shortcuts to Metro apps in Windows 10 (just drag and drop from the start menu to a folder). The only problem I can see is that when I close the app, it doesn't return to Kodi. As for the fullscreen part, the only workaround I can find is to enable tablet mode and turn on auto-hide the taskbar. But that also forces you back to the start screen after closing an app, which is even worse in some ways.

I worked around this by pinning a Kodi shortcut to my start screen that I have just called "Return to Kodi."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 launch metro app with advanced launcher?0