• 17(current)
Release XBMC LCDproc Python addon
(2014-06-15, 13:51)delinend Wrote: The "Dim/turn off - on screensaver" works fine :-)
But if I set "Dim on shutdown", the Backlight is NOT turned off, on shutdown. It work fine via my GPIO setup ?!? :-(

Probably the changed wiring/connection causes that the display is not powered off on shutdown, thus you're hitting the backlight/shutdown issue - see this posting for a workaround.

BTW, when speaking about RPi: Any chance you can comment on the hbar/icon workaround changes?

EDIT: Erm. Wait. Somewhat missed the "shutdown" word (in contrast to "suspend"). Are you sure your LCDd.conf is set up properly? This should be handled by LCDproc, e.g. when you terminate the LCDd process, it should take care of turning off the backlight.

nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Leia+VAAPI+HD-Audio+LCDproc addon,TVHeadend-master/DVB-C/T2+pvr.tvh addon on Ubuntu 18.04 (amd64)
(2014-06-15, 14:19)herrnst Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 13:51)delinend Wrote: The "Dim/turn off - on screensaver" works fine :-)
But if I set "Dim on shutdown", the Backlight is NOT turned off, on shutdown. It work fine via my GPIO setup ?!? :-(

Probably the changed wiring/connection causes that the display is not powered off on shutdown, thus you're hitting the backlight/shutdown issue - see this posting for a workaround.

BTW, when speaking about RPi: Any chance you can comment on the hbar/icon workaround changes?

EDIT: Erm. Wait. Somewhat missed the "shutdown" word (in contrast to "suspend"). Are you sure your LCDd.conf is set up properly? This should be handled by LCDproc, e.g. when you terminate the LCDd process, it should take care of turning off the backlight.

nst

The Dim on/off on screensaver, works fine on my new set up. So I don't think that I have made some wrong wirering.
It's only when I shutdown or reboot the RPI, the background light is always on.

When I used the GPIO setup, the backlight turned fine off, if I did a shutdown or reboot.

I use the same Display and the same LCD.conf, where I just has changed:
# ConnectionType=raspberrypi
# pin_D4=23
# pin_D5=17
# pin_D6=27
# pin_D7=22
# pin_EN=24
# pin_RS=25
# pin_BL=18
ConnectionType=i2c
Device=/dev/i2c-1
Port=0x20

Btw. This is my new setup: http://michlstechblog.info/blog/raspberr...h-i2c-bus/

This is set in my LCD.conf:
# Set master backlight setting. If set to 'open' a client may control the
# backlight for its own screens (only). [default: open; legal: off, open, on]
Backlight=open

Best regards
(2014-06-15, 15:58)delinend Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 14:19)herrnst Wrote:

nst

The Dim on/off on screensaver, works fine on my new set up. So I don't think that I have made some wrong wirering.
It's only when I shutdown or reboot the RPI, the background light is always on.

When I used the GPIO setup, the backlight turned fine off, if I did a shutdown or reboot.

I use the same Display and the same LCD.conf, where I just has changed:
# ConnectionType=raspberrypi
# pin_D4=23
# pin_D5=17
# pin_D6=27
# pin_D7=22
# pin_EN=24
# pin_RS=25
# pin_BL=18
ConnectionType=i2c
Device=/dev/i2c-1
Port=0x20

Btw. This is my new setup: http://michlstechblog.info/blog/raspberr...h-i2c-bus/

This is set in my LCD.conf:
# Set master backlight setting. If set to 'open' a client may control the
# backlight for its own screens (only). [default: open; legal: off, open, on]
Backlight=open

Best regards

Btw.
If I "killall LCDd" the display write "Thanks for using OpenELEC_Helix" and the Backlight is still ON :-(
When screensaver switch on and off, the Backlight is working fine, and is turning on and off.

Here my LCDd.conf: http://pastebin.com/Twke79J4

Best regards.
(2014-05-21, 21:49)herrnst Wrote: All (especially RPi'ers),

I've (finally, long time being lazy...) pushed the tryfix suggested by mike7 to a separate branch on GitHub. Can you please test and verify with this branch if the problem regarding progress bars not being shown if placed below any lines containing icons still occurs, or if it is even fixed?

Thanks for your feedback,
nst

Yes, I see the problem on 2.5.0 on my RPI. Where can I download 2.5.1 (zip) to test this fix?

Best regards.
(2014-06-15, 21:03)delinend Wrote: Yes, I see the problem on 2.5.0 on my RPI. Where can I download 2.5.1 (zip) to test this fix?

You can find the branch at https://github.com/herrnst/script.xbmc.l...efore-icon (downloadable ZIP-Archive). Still like to get some feedback on this before adding this to the addon repo.

Regarding your backlight problem: LCDproc needs to turn off your backlight when you terminate the LCDd process. AFAIK this can be easily achieved by setting "Backlight=open" in the global server config. A quick glance at the LCDd.conf manpage suggest to add "Backlight=yes" also to the hd44780 section, you might like to try that.

From my own experience, the "turn off backlight on shutdown" option won't help much, as the backlight state seems "just" to be a per-client setting, causing the state to reset when the client disconnects or even another client connects and turns on the backlight. Shutdown is subject to the former case, e.g. the script turns off the backlight and then disconnects from the LCDproc server, normally causing the backlight to be turned back on, so I really wonder why this should improve anything at all for you (I bet the "Backlight=open" setting is what made this work before you reconnected things).

So you really should try to get LCDproc to turn off the backlight on termination. You can do this quite easy: Stop script.xbmc.lcdproc (for safety), then do a regular stop of the LCDproc service (e.g. "/etc/init.d/LCDd stop"), change any options in LCDd.conf, then "/etc/init.d/LCDd start", wait for the LCDproc server screen to appear, then "/etc/init.d/LCDd stop" - backlight should turn off at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hardware to test and reproduce the problem here, so there's not very much I can do to help you resolve this.

Best regards,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Leia+VAAPI+HD-Audio+LCDproc addon,TVHeadend-master/DVB-C/T2+pvr.tvh addon on Ubuntu 18.04 (amd64)
(2014-05-21, 21:49)herrnst Wrote: All (especially RPi'ers),

I've (finally, long time being lazy...) pushed the tryfix suggested by mike7 to a separate branch on GitHub. Can you please test and verify with this branch if the problem regarding progress bars not being shown if placed below any lines containing icons still occurs, or if it is even fixed?

Thanks for your feedback,
nst

I can confirm, that this fix works Big Grin

XBMC LCDproc 2.5.0:

And here XBMC LCDproc with the fix (script.xbmc.lcdproc-hbar-before-icon.zip):

Great works, and thanks.

Best regards
(2014-06-16, 00:46)herrnst Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 21:03)delinend Wrote: Yes, I see the problem on 2.5.0 on my RPI. Where can I download 2.5.1 (zip) to test this fix?

You can find the branch at https://github.com/herrnst/script.xbmc.l...efore-icon (downloadable ZIP-Archive). Still like to get some feedback on this before adding this to the addon repo.

Regarding your backlight problem: LCDproc needs to turn off your backlight when you terminate the LCDd process. AFAIK this can be easily achieved by setting "Backlight=open" in the global server config. A quick glance at the LCDd.conf manpage suggest to add "Backlight=yes" also to the hd44780 section, you might like to try that.

From my own experience, the "turn off backlight on shutdown" option won't help much, as the backlight state seems "just" to be a per-client setting, causing the state to reset when the client disconnects or even another client connects and turns on the backlight. Shutdown is subject to the former case, e.g. the script turns off the backlight and then disconnects from the LCDproc server, normally causing the backlight to be turned back on, so I really wonder why this should improve anything at all for you (I bet the "Backlight=open" setting is what made this work before you reconnected things).

So you really should try to get LCDproc to turn off the backlight on termination. You can do this quite easy: Stop script.xbmc.lcdproc (for safety), then do a regular stop of the LCDproc service (e.g. "/etc/init.d/LCDd stop"), change any options in LCDd.conf, then "/etc/init.d/LCDd start", wait for the LCDproc server screen to appear, then "/etc/init.d/LCDd stop" - backlight should turn off at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hardware to test and reproduce the problem here, so there's not very much I can do to help you resolve this.

Best regards,
nst

Thanks nst.

I have tryed many combination, and none of them works with the I2C Connector type. Sad
I think the problem is in lcdproc, and the ConnectionType. The Backlight level is inverted in the I2C vs. raspberrypi.

When using ConnectionType=raspberrypi via GPIO ex. with pin_BL=18 , the level output is HIGH when the Backlight is ON, and Backlight turns OFF, on termination.
When using ConnectionType=i2c via the PCF8574 chip, the level output is LOW when the Backlight is ON. And the Backlight stays ON, on termination.

So there is a intarface differency on those to ConnectionType's. And I think, that lcdproc alway set the level to LOW when it's terminate. And this is a problem with the I2C, as this then will turn ON the Backlight on shutdown Confused

I just don't know, where to allocate this problem.

Thanks.
Best regards.
(2014-06-16, 06:31)delinend Wrote:
(2014-05-21, 21:49)herrnst Wrote: I've (finally, long time being lazy...) pushed the tryfix suggested by mike7 to a separate branch on GitHub. Can you please test and verify with this branch if the problem regarding progress bars not being shown if placed below any lines containing icons still occurs, or if it is even fixed?
I can confirm, that this fix works Big Grin

Thanks very much for testing, would be nice to receive at least another confirmative reply from another user so I can finally craft this up for repo inclusion.

nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Hi

I would like to ask for help with special characters.
I want to add degree sign ° to LCD display. I tried ° & # 233 and UTF-8 character in LCD.xml.

File is parsed correctly but later I get an error.

Quote:26496 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError'>
Error Contents: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 6: ordinal not in range(128)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/lcdmain.py", line 144, in <module>
process_lcd()
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/lcdmain.py", line 106, in process_lcd
if handleConnectLCD():
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/lcdmain.py", line 127, in handleConnectLCD
ret = g_lcdproc.Initialize()
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/resources/lib/lcdproc.py", line 211, in Initialize
if LcdBase.Initialize(self):
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/resources/lib/lcdbase.py", line 212, in Initialize
if not self.LoadSkin(__lcdxml__, False) and not bGotDefaultSkin:
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/resources/lib/lcdbase.py", line 334, in LoadSkin
self.LoadMode(tmpMode, LCD_MODE.LCD_MODE_GENERAL)
File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/script.xbmc.lcdproc/resources/lib/lcdbase.py", line 392, in LoadMode
linetext = str(line.text).strip()
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 6: ordinal not in range(128)
-->End of Python script error report<--

Any idea how to display degree character using LCDproc Addon ?

Michal
(2014-07-04, 21:39)Miszka Wrote: I want to add degree sign ° to LCD display. I tried &deg; & # 233 and UTF-8 character in LCD.xml.
Did you also try to just put the plain degree character into the config file?

(2014-07-04, 21:39)Miszka Wrote: File is parsed correctly but later I get an error.
Can you reproduce this? If so, can you upload the LCD.xml somewhere, preferably zipped or tar'ed (or anything else)? Someone already reported this but so far I wasn't able to reproduce, but since this seems to be an issue, I'd really like to have this fixed...

nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Hi herrnst
Thanks for replay:

In my opinion it is a problem with conversion utf8=>ascii
done by str function in line 932 of lcdbase.py: linetext = str(line.text).strip()
Up to this point line read from LCD.xml is in UTF,
later it is translated to ascii ( code <-127 )

Degree sign has code 0xb0 and we have problem with it.

I am enclosing 3 LCD.xml.
1) working, base version
2) with degree sign UTF-8 code => UnicodeEncodeError:
3) with degree sign ascii (0xb0) => I get "Parsing failed from xml parser"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4278...CDdata.tar

Michal
(2014-07-06, 22:30)Miszka Wrote: I am enclosing 3 LCD.xml.
1) working, base version
2) with degree sign UTF-8 code => UnicodeEncodeError:
3) with degree sign ascii (0xb0) => I get "Parsing failed from xml parser"
Thanks, finally(!) I have a way of reproducing especially the python exception (LCDutf8.xml triggers it right after connecting to LCDd) - will see what I can do and eventually push out a fix.

EDIT: I have a feeling some bigger parts of all the string handling needs some overhaul... Anyway, can you try the version from this branch (installable ZIP) and post the results you get with the UTF8 file (and also maybe the others) ?

Regards,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Thanks a lot.

Works great.!!!. xbmc.log is clean and I can see °C in weather forecast.
I will make some experiments with other characters and report here.

To other things:
1)
I would like to ask you to reconsider your decision concerning
https://github.com/herrnst/script.xbmc.l.../issues/23
Please read my comment in this thread.

2)
I would like to display output from external command as a part of LCD page.
Is it possible somehow ?

Regards
Michal
i have imon lcd and works fine but when i change the menu language to greek lcd shows question marks,i tried all available charset nothing works,i know that imon lcd can display greek language under windows,is a limitation of lcdproc?
(2014-07-07, 22:28)Miszka Wrote: Works great.!!!. xbmc.log is clean and I can see °C in weather forecast.
The change (in a more cleaner form) is contained in 2.5.1, which should be available in the official addon repo by now.

(2014-07-07, 22:28)Miszka Wrote: I would like to display output from external command as a part of LCD page.
Is it possible somehow ?
No.

(2014-07-08, 16:02)leo06 Wrote: i have imon lcd and works fine but when i change the menu language to greek lcd shows question marks,i tried all available charset nothing works,i know that imon lcd can display greek language under windows,is a limitation of lcdproc?
This is a limitation of LCDproc and it's iMON support. The font used to render the characters is ISO8859-1 (or -15), and that bitmap font is hardcoded in LCDproc's iMON driver. However, I know some people modified the iMON driver to support loadable fonts which is then used to display cyrillic characters, something similar (a font with greek characters) should also be possible for your case. Dunno where I've seen that support/patch though, so google should help you in case you'd like to give it a shot.

@RPi'ers: Version 2.5.1 also has the workaround for the hbar/icon problem (with the hbar disappearing if placed below a line utilising the playpause icon stuff).

Regards,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC LCDproc Python addon2