Bedroom build
I built a box for my living room. I just want a little box to run in my bedroom.
I have a few questions. Do I need a low profile fan for this box? The stock fan is too loud. I found this out on my living room box. Can I fit in a dvd drive? If not it is not a huge deal. I plan on retiring my dvd collection. I will run the box with a harmony one like I am doing in my living room.

ram is fine
change mb for H77
cpu is fine as long as you're aware of the limitations
stock cooler is fine
stock cooler is fine
go agility 3/Samsung 830/crutical m4
Silverstone /Thermaltake/antec/Lian Li and others make great cases take a look before you decide Smile
Why go to a H77? Will it make that big of a difference?
The limitation is no 3D if I am correct. I don't even care about seeing 3D at the theater.
The stock cooler is too loud for my taste. I don't mind spending 10 bucks.
As for the agility 3. I got that for my living room. Is it a big deal? I assume the crappy one is plenty fast.
I know there are better cases. I want cheap and small. I hope this one gets the job done fine.
Which case are we talking about here?
H61 is not future proof, prone to SATA issues and not a lot cheaper than H77
celeron is also a bad choice for streaming video from outside your local network
the stock cooler can't be heard more than 30cm away om my i3s at least. and if you want silent a included psu normally isn't the way to go
agility 3 is a lot faster and just a few bucks more
I've built many H61/G530 HTPCs (including two for myself) and I've never had SATA issues and I can play Netflix, Xfinity, Hulu, etc. w/o problem. No one I've built them for complained about these kinds of issues either.

I can up the CPU to the 35W sandy bridge and the faster ocz.

The case is...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811154087
(2012-11-01, 00:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I've built many H61/G530 HTPCs (including two for myself) and I've never had SATA issues and I can play Netflix, Xfinity, Hulu, etc. w/o problem. No one I've built them for complained about these kinds of issues either.

Just to confirm; g530 can handle 1080p silverlight?
H61 is prone to issues with sata controllers but its usualy spesific to cheaper brands/models and older models.
(2012-11-01, 10:05)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Just to confirm; g530 can handle 1080p silverlight?
H61 is prone to issues with sata controllers but its usualy spesific to cheaper brands/models and older models.

Yes. I've tested with the G530, G540 and G620. It handles it easily since the CPU is so powerful. It might be called "Celeron" but it's still a dual-core 2.4GHz SB processor. Did you find it doesn't work with the Celeron that you tested with?

What motherboards did you have SATA problems with? I've used the GA-H61N-USB3 and ASUS P8H61-I r1.0 and r2.0 without any issue as well as the P8H61-M and P8H61-M/CSM.

So, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157303.

More money more money. Then again this whole box is what I spend on a weekend of partying.

http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ht80.html

This case. I can use a harmony one instead? I like the fact that it has a IR built in. I have a slot load dvd in my old dead laptop I can tear out.
(2012-11-01, 16:32)Schumacher Wrote: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ht80.html

This case. I can use a harmony one instead? I like the fact that it has a IR built in. I have a slot load dvd in my old dead laptop I can tear out.

You can but it's a wee bit tricky. There's a thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135416 with some information. The remote/receiver are recognized as USB HID keyboard/mouse, not an RC6 receiver. Honestly though, the receiver/remote is such a small part of the cost if you really wanted to just add a new internal receiver like the Inteset one you would not be wasting much. The part that's hard to find is the case has the IR receiver window.
(2012-11-01, 16:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-01, 10:05)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Just to confirm; g530 can handle 1080p silverlight?

Yes. I've tested with the G530, G540 and G620. It handles it easily since the CPU is so powerful. It might be called "Celeron" but it's still a dual-core 2.4GHz SB processor. Did you find it doesn't work with the Celeron that you tested with?

What motherboards did you have SATA problems with? I've used the GA-H61N-USB3 and ASUS P8H61-I r1.0 and r2.0 without any issue as well as the P8H61-M and P8H61-M/CSM.

ASUS, gigabyte and msi H61s where returned to the service department where I worked (a lot of them actually).
This might be have been solved at a later point with newer batches of the controllers.
I built some celeron builds there and some of them where returned due to them not working with the local streaming services (NRK, TVN, VIASAT, SF etc)

Edit:
After checking some of my old service records I suspect the issues with celeron streaming might be due to an already heavy application running in the background (old editions of Norton etc) of the users computers.
Guess I can move to a K3 or i5 and use a usb IR.
nothing wrong with a usb ir Smile
I think I have a plan. Thanks for upping my budget by 150. Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bedroom build0