HTPC with Digital Audio Out?
HI.

So I'm looking to replace my WDTV (hacked with b.rad), and am looking at few options:
1) Popcorn A300
2) Dune Hdtv301
3) xbmc

XBMC is looking the most appealing right now. I've gone thru the where to start post, and figured I'm in Group #3 for now. Looking at recommended HTPC boxes (Group #4 and up) tho, I see that all of them have HDMI out, and none (that I was able to find anyway), have a separate audio out (coax or optical). Also, my TV only has stereo audio out. (Yes it is HD, but it's an older 1080i tube type.)

The problem there is that my receiver does not do HDMI, so I need the separate audio connection. Do any of those sleek little boxes have audio out?

Will the Apple TV (v1) output audio over optical with that Broadcom card that ATV requires? My receiver does do 5.1/7.1 DTS, so I definitely want that.

Or do I need to start from scratch, picking out MB, CPU, case, video card, etc? (Which I'm fine with doing, I'd just prefer a nice base from which to start.)

For the record, I will use this for playing USB attached movies and for local wired streaming. I have no desire to stream anything outside except possibly youtube, and even then hardly ever. No netflix, etc. Overwhelming format of my collection is MKV, VC1 and h264 (from blu-rays and a few HD-DVDs), plus MKVs of SD-DVDs. DTS audio where possible, tho I have ripped the HD audio as well. Also, Linux only; no windows.

Thanks,
John

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC with Digital Audio Out?0