Linux Auto-starting Xbmc with X doesn't work, but works fine when starting from terminal
Hello,

I have been experiencing a very strange bug. When I try to auto-start xbmc when the X server starts, I get a black screen and cannot do anything but reboot. On the other hand, if I replace the xbmc command with a command to open a terminal and then start xbmc manually from there, it works flawlessly.

More precisely, I am using systemd to auto-login a user called xbmc. I then use his .bash_profile to run startx, then start an openbox session with .xinitrc, and finally have the openbox autostart script start xbmc. Here are the various files:

[.bash_profile]
[.xinitrc]
[~/.config/openbox/autostart]

When I follow this process, I get a black screen and cannot do anything at all, by which I mean that I cannot even open a different tty or connect via ssh. I have to do a hard reset.

I've tried stopping at each step and using a manual command to continue the process, recreating the crash every time. Furthermore, if I replace the xbmc command with xterm and then manually run the xbmc command, it works fine. I've tried delaying the automated launch of xbmc by a minute, so I'm sure it's not that other services haven't had time to launch. I also get the same problem when starting xbmc-standalone from .xinitrc, or using systemd to launch it. Here is the xbmc log.

I'm running xbmc-11.0-12 on 64-bit x86 arch linux. I don't mind the problem so much as the computer is always on, but I've never had such a severe crash, so I'm curious as to what is causing it.

Cheers,
François
you are also affected by this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56684

You may want to comment on the bug, the more people confirm it and contribute information the better.
Try this xbmc autostart via upstart/xinit http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1225202

uNi
Thanks a lot. It does seem to be the same bug. I commented on the report. Moreover, since my original post, I downgraded to the LTS kernel (3.0.49-1-lts) to install ZFS and that removed the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto-starting Xbmc with X doesn't work, but works fine when starting from terminal0