• 3(current)
[Mini-ITX] A6-5400K + Radeon HD 7540D
(2012-11-07, 20:54)audiorealis Wrote:
(2012-11-06, 22:48)audiorealis Wrote: I intend to build a similar one of these using the same APU and Board, but in a Silverstone SG05 case instead. There's a few things I'm not completely sure of. My intended use of the PC is a bit of all in one, in that it'll be a download server (or at least downloads will be done directly to it, even if it's not always on), my only HTPC and as much gaming as I can realistically enjoy.

My intended build is:

Case: Silverstone SG05 300W
Mobo: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX FM2
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 PC3-14900
APU: AMD A6-5400K 3.60Ghz
HDD: two 'old' 5400rpm Seagate laptop drives I have lying around, one for the OS and one for storage (100gb and 500gb respectively)
Price: about €280 (I'm in Spain)

My intention is to start with the bare minimum and add pieces as I go. What I have listed above is what I figured would be acceptable as a bare minimum. Now, my questions:
- Will I get away with the stock cooler (bearing in mind the SG05 is an airier case with a big fan on the front)?
- Is there anything else anyone would consider a bare minimum for this build?
- The RAM listed in the OP is only available in a single 4GB stick, and I'm not 100% sure the RAM I have on my list is compatible with the board. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does anyone have any feedback on my build? Should I put it in its own thread?

Thanks

I'm not sure if silence is one of your priorities, but do you really need such a powerful PSU? Peak power demand of your system will be <100W, so you can go for PicoPSU.

Stock heat sink is ineffective. I'm not sure if you can turn off cooler on it and use only the case fan. Especially if the air cannot freely vertically move from one side of heat sink to the other (stock heat sink looks similar that one)

Decision on cooler you can make at the end. You will get stock cooler with your APU anyway, so you can check it Smile
(2012-11-07, 21:24)szulik Wrote:
(2012-11-07, 20:54)audiorealis Wrote:
(2012-11-06, 22:48)audiorealis Wrote: I intend to build a similar one of these using the same APU and Board, but in a Silverstone SG05 case instead. There's a few things I'm not completely sure of. My intended use of the PC is a bit of all in one, in that it'll be a download server (or at least downloads will be done directly to it, even if it's not always on), my only HTPC and as much gaming as I can realistically enjoy.

My intended build is:

Case: Silverstone SG05 300W
Mobo: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX FM2
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 PC3-14900
APU: AMD A6-5400K 3.60Ghz
HDD: two 'old' 5400rpm Seagate laptop drives I have lying around, one for the OS and one for storage (100gb and 500gb respectively)
Price: about €280 (I'm in Spain)

My intention is to start with the bare minimum and add pieces as I go. What I have listed above is what I figured would be acceptable as a bare minimum. Now, my questions:
- Will I get away with the stock cooler (bearing in mind the SG05 is an airier case with a big fan on the front)?
- Is there anything else anyone would consider a bare minimum for this build?
- The RAM listed in the OP is only available in a single 4GB stick, and I'm not 100% sure the RAM I have on my list is compatible with the board. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Does anyone have any feedback on my build? Should I put it in its own thread?

Thanks

I'm not sure if silence is one of your priorities, but do you really need such a powerful PSU? Peak power demand of your system will be <100W, so you can go for PicoPSU.

Stock heat sink is ineffective. I'm not sure if you can turn off cooler on it and use only the case fan. Especially if the air cannot freely vertically move from one side of heat sink to the other (stock heat sink looks similar that one)

Decision on cooler you can make at the end. You will get stock cooler with your APU anyway, so you can check it Smile

Thanks for the feedback. The power source is the one that comes with the case (or at least the smaller of two options, the other being 450W). I like the case because it's quite airy and has space for a dedicated graphics card should I change my mind with this and want to go down a more gaming route. My thinking was that having an FM2 mobo would allow to upgrade to a 65w quad core and get pretty decent gaming performance.

When I set out a few weeks ago on the idea of a HTPC, my thought was something as small and silent as possible. Then when I realised that fairly good gaming performance could be had for quite cheap, I've gone down the road of trying to get something that can operate as a HTPC, but also handle as much gaming as possible.

Thanks for the info on the stock cooler. That being the case, I'll probably give it an initial go with that and if it doesn't work out either due to noise or temperature issues, then a cooler will be one of the first upgrades.
(2012-11-07, 22:29)audiorealis Wrote: Thanks for the info on the stock cooler. That being the case, I'll probably give it an initial go with that and if it doesn't work out either due to noise or temperature issues, then a cooler will be one of the first upgrades.

+1
I am going to build my first HTPC with the Silverstone Case, AMD A6-5400, and the ASRock FM2A75M-ITX, just have couple questions

How's the Scythe SCBSK-2100 compare to COOLER MASTER GeminII M4 RR-GMM4-16PK-R2(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103177)?

Any difference between the following RAMs:

Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) $52
BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT1TX0
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820148560

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Plug n Play $47
KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820104264

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) $47
F3-1866C9D-8GAB
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6820231550

Thanks in advance!
It's safe to say that the majority in this forum is using Scythe. As far as the three RAM's in your list, the only thing I see different is Cas Latency. The lower Cas Latency suppose to be slightly faster.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Crucial Ballistix is FTW!
Hi eskro,

first off, thanks for all your work and time on this forum - you inspired me to build HTPC!

a quick question to you about the motherboard - I see only 2 reviews on newegg, and one is bad. Did you have any issues with yours? I think MSI will release soon their FM2 board so not sure If I should wait a bit.

Also as far as the heatsink...do I have to buy it or I can leave with the stock one?

thanks again!

Oh you did one yourself too? Smile Or just list the updated build? Still wondering if it consume more energy compare to the original A6-PACK. I am still waiting and hesitating between the pico 120w or pico 90w. Got myself a Kill-a-watt so I might just test it when it's up and running with the 65w from antec. I'm clueless.
(2012-11-12, 19:34)boriskey Wrote: Also as far as the heatsink...do I have to buy it or I can leave with the stock one?
Some users are okay with the stock heatsink. You can give the stock heatsink a try first. If you are okay with the noise, it should be good to go....

(2012-11-12, 19:42)Xexiz Wrote: I am still waiting and hesitating between the pico 120w or pico 90w. Got myself a Kill-a-watt so I might just test it when it's up and running with the 65w from antec. I'm clueless.
The price and power usage are not that much different. I would go with Pico 120W package.....it'll give you some rooms for upgrades too.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-12, 19:49)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 19:42)Xexiz Wrote: I am still waiting and hesitating between the pico 120w or pico 90w. Got myself a Kill-a-watt so I might just test it when it's up and running with the 65w from antec. I'm clueless.
The price and power usage are not that much different. I would go with Pico 120W package.....it'll give you some rooms for upgrades too.....

120 / 120 right? (http://www.short-circuit.com/combo/picop...-acdc.html)
And, do you know how much power a bluray consume? That's my big problem I know nothing about power consumption. And I don't know if I will put a slim bluray in there, when I find one since there's not a lot of slim drives.
(2012-11-12, 20:09)Xexiz Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 19:49)bluray Wrote:

And, do you know how much power a bluray consume? That's my big problem I know nothing about power consumption. And I don't know if I will put a slim bluray in there, when I find one since there's not a lot of slim drives.

It is ok to buy the 120W kit.... no problem and it comes with the right barrel end so you don't have to drill on the case....
But remember to buy this...
http://www.short-circuit.com/product/4pin-p4.html

You will need it .....

the 90w kit comes already with it.
(2012-11-12, 20:34)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 20:09)Xexiz Wrote:
(2012-11-12, 19:49)bluray Wrote: The price and power usage are not that much different. I would go with Pico 120W package.....it'll give you some rooms for upgrades too.....

It is ok to buy the 120W kit.... no problem it comes with the right barrel end so you don't have to drill on the case....
But remember to buy this...
http://www.short-circuit.com/product/4pin-p4.html

You will need it ..... the 90w kit comes already with it.

I was about to ask the same question, thanks! Will 120W one sufficient to power up A8-5500?
Yes the A8-5500 is 65W.... I see why not! So the 120W kit would be perfect...
Something to know about the 120/120 combination is the harness (what connects the picoPSU to the external power jack) is only rated for 8A so you can only exceed 96W for short periods on time. I confirmed this with mini-box, the makers of the picoPSU.

I have an A6-5400K now and will test the power consumption when I get a chance.
(2012-11-12, 20:51)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Something to know about the 120/120 combination is the harness (what connects the picoPSU to the external power jack) is only rated for 8A so you can only exceed 96W for short periods on time. I confirmed this with mini-box, the makers of the picoPSU.

I have an A6-5400K now and will test the power consumption when I get a chance.

Oh man... so it is useless if you need the power over 96W.... thank you for this info. Wink
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mini-ITX] A6-5400K + Radeon HD 7540D0