My first media server - which components to choose
Here is what i have in mind for my multimedia server:

Case:
Fractal Design Define XL wich at some point should be fully loaded with HDDs

Mobo:
P8Z77-V LE

CPU:
Intel Core i3-3220 (maybe Intel Core i3-3220T but there probably isn't any difference)

Cooler:
Cooler Master Hyper 412 Slim or Cooler Master Hyper 612S

HDD:
SAMSUNG 830 Series 128GB SSD (Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD or SOCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD)

RAM: Is there anything that should look for? I suupose evey RAM stick would do.
KINGSTON HyperX Genesis 2X4GB, 1600MHz or HyperX PnP module? (or CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ 2X4GB, 1600MHz).

PSU: Now here is where i have no idea what to choose - how powerfull PSU i would need at all?
CM Silent Pro Gold 600W
, CM Silent Pro M600, Corsair HX750(Silver but does have 12 SATA Connectors), or Thermaltake TPG-750M

Please correct what needs to be corrected.
The server should be able to hold 15 HDDs (2 of them 2.5'') and stream (also transcode audio and HD video). I would like to start a SSH server, http server and probably something else.
Build looks good. Check out this site to help with working out which psu to get. Make sure you get enough fans to keep all those HDD's cool. If youre going to be transcoding alot of HD material maybe look at a better cpu...
I wont need more fans (i suppose) at least for now - will start with 3 hdds Smile just wanted to build it once and then just add and add hdds. As for the transcoding - it wont be used a lot just when i am not at home and have to kill some time.

According to the Power Supply Finder i need 550 up to 650W PSU.
I suppose CM Silent Pro Gold 600W will be able to provide enough connectors for 15 hdds (+/- a DVD drive) and one additional fan.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first media server - which components to choose0