Audio issue on ATV 2
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help with this issue, I've started getting weird crackling and popping noises on tv episodes, haven't had it happen on a movie yet

I've tried changing all my audio settings one by one (cycled through HDMI, analog, etc) to see if any of the fixed it with no luck. I've gone back to stable versions and forward to the October monthly, again nothing seems to fix it. This isn't happening on a single fine, it's happening on almost every tv show I have and rendering them completely unwatchable.

I've played the same files through a WD TV, VLC on my mac and a Windows 7 PC and they play fine, the problem only occurs in XBMC.

UPDATE - As a little test I installed the stable release of Eden on my Mac Mini, file plays fine through that too.

I've included as much information as I can below,

AppleTV2
iOS - 4.2.1
Apple TV Software - 4.1.1
XBMC Version - XBMC 12.0-ALPHA6 GIT; 20121001-F4D8117 9Compiled: oct 1 2012
Darwin Kernel 10.4.0
AppleTV2 is connected directly to my TV and I'm using the speakers in the TV

Installed using instructions from October Monthly post (dpkg -i *xbmc*.deb)

Logs
Mediainfo here
xbmc.log here
Syslog (was over 19Mb so I just cut out everything from November 4) here

I looked for crashreporter log but could only find the log aggregated ones.

Thanks in advance
no one else is having this problem?
Either try enabling "AC3 capable receiver" or disable that option if it is enabled already in xbmc audio settings.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the reply Memphiz, I've already given that a try, both on and off (if was off initially) same with all the other audio settings, I've tried every possible connotation I can.
There must be a difference between on or off for sure. When turned off XBMC will decode AC3 5.1 to pcm 2.0 stereo and this will be passed via hdmi to the TV. If the setting is turned on the unaltered AC3 5.1 stream is passed through hdmi to the TV and the TV decodes the 5.1 to pcm 2.0. So this gives a completly different path of data flow.

If you get the problems on both cases - i would say your TV has an HDMI incompatibility issue with the ATV2. Apple fixed some HDMI handshake problems in older IOS versions. If you can (saved the SHSH blobs) try updating your ATV2 to 4.3 or maybe even 4.4 and try if it got fixed.

Comparison to windows or osx builds of XBMC doesn't bring anything here since the ios audio stuff is hardware related of course.

You could also try to turn this "boost volume on downmix" off or so. But as you stated you already diddled with the settings (did you try to switch to optical out already? - no worries audio will still come out on hdmi).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The audio did change when I went between the two settings, unfortunately it got worse Sad

I've tried switching to optical and redoing the other settings, I think the only other thing I can try at this point is upgrading the version of iOS, I'll give that a try this weekend and see how I go. Thanks again for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio issue on ATV 20