mediaplayer and (or?) nas
Hi

I have been using XBMC for a while now on my computer and it works awesome!
Recently though I have bought a HDTV and I am looking to make my experience with XBMC even better.

So, first of all what I want is that my storage is no longer in my computer, at the moment all my hard disk slots in my computer are filled up and I can't put any more in, so i'm thinking about buying a NAS for this purpose. But I also want my NAS or mediaplayer (which i both don't have right now) to run sabnzbd / sickbeard / couchpotato.

My question is now is it best to buy an expensive NAS, use it for storage and sabnzbd, sickbeard & couchpotato, and buy a cheap mediaplayer just to stream all of it to my HDTV, or can I better buy a cheap NAS for storage only, and buy an expensive mediaplayer (htpc) to run sabnzbd / sickbeard & couchpotato.

Both should be quiet though since they will be stored in the same room where I sleep, i don't mind a little noise but I don't want a big fan spinning loudly all night and keeping me awake.

I don't have any experience with building HTPC's or NAS, or linux, so I would like to buy something that is ready-to-go. Just unpack, hook it up, configurate it and done.

Can anyone help me? I'm a total noob at this, have been reading a lot of threads here already.

Thanks in advance and excuse me for any grammatical errors, English is not my native language.

Budget for the both devices together is €600
we'll need some more details:
you already have hard drives, how many and are they of same size?
What would you like to play?
Does size/looks matter?
In my computer right now i have 3 x 1TB drives, I think i'm going to buy 2TB ones and sell my 1TB drives. all of them are 3.5 (the hard disk drives should not be included in the €600 budget) I would like to fit 3 or 4 drives in the NAS
I would like to play 1080p rips, (8-16GB rips)
Looks doesn't really matter, size does though, I don't want it to be too big since I don't have much space here.

Everything is also going to be wired on a gigabit network, so no need for wireless.
Then take a look at my builds - change motherboard and cpu for fm2 socket and you have a nice and cheap htpc.
NAS is a little harder on your budget - if you can get a synology or qnap with a Intel prosessor with at least 4 bays for a reasonable price you should be good to go but drives may get expensive (nas usually don't like cheap drives)
Thanks for the help so far but i would like a pre-made system, (unless you guys can really convince me otherwhise why I shouldn't).
The thing is that i have no experience what so ever with linux and other stuff, and that's why I think a pre-made HTPC would be better for me.

I just looked up some prices for a NAS with 4 bays and they are indeed very pricy.
I'm thinking about buying a NAS with 2 bays now, 4TB should be plenty enough space for my media.
Any recommendations on a cheap NAS that can run sabnzbd (+ unrar) / sickbeard & couchpotato while streaming content to my (future) htpc?

Also i have been reading a lot on this forum about unRAID, is there any NAS from synology or qnap that can handle unRAID?

I'm sorry for my noob questions, i have no experience what so ever with NAS
I just checked some pre made HTPC's out and stumbled upon the xtreamer ultra 2.

Does anyone here have any experience with this HTPC for running xbmc + sab / sick / couch ?
If I read that correct you have 1 TV and want 1 Mediaplayer.
If thats true I dont really see why you should buy a NAS/Server.

I am running this setup:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...post938719 (some other hardware but basically the same).

1 SSD + 3 HDDs (WD 3TB) flawless 1080p playback (mostly remux so 15-40gb with dts-hd) and no problem with sab/sb.
(2012-11-06, 03:04)TeKo Wrote: If I read that correct you have 1 TV and want 1 Mediaplayer.
If thats true I dont really see why you should buy a NAS/Server.

I am running this setup:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...post938719 (some other hardware but basically the same).

1 SSD + 3 HDDs (WD 3TB) flawless 1080p playback (mostly remux so 15-40gb with dts-hd) and no problem with sab/sb.

Wow, that looks very slick. How do you control it though? is there any way to add a remote to this setup? If yes, can I boot the system up with the remote without actually booting it on the device?
Is the 1080p playback flawless while downloading and / or unrarring in sab?

Thanks a lot for the info , I think i'm going to go this route. It seems perfect and not too expensive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mediaplayer and (or?) nas1