Pivos xios or g-box
Did not know this existed. Gives jailbroken apple tv a run for the money. Might have to think about this as a better alternative. If you just want low cost you can get the first generation apple tv for less than $50 and jailbreak it to put XBMC on it.

But think might have to buy a PIVOS and experiment
which is better the pivos or the g box ? I am in the market to buy. Sounds like the pivos has better support but the g box has better specs. Which is overall better ? I am not very good when it comes to hacking these boxes as I had an apple tv 1 and tried to jailbreak it and wasn't successful. I ordered a apple tv2 and haven't opened it yet because im wondering if the pivos or g box will blow it out of the water . Please let me know what you guys recommend overall ? Thanks in advance !!
(2013-07-02, 21:52)jyoung1418 Wrote: which is better the pivos or the g box ? I am in the market to buy. Sounds like the pivos has better support but the g box has better specs. Which is overall better ? I am not very good when it comes to hacking these boxes as I had an apple tv 1 and tried to jailbreak it and wasn't successful. I ordered a apple tv2 and haven't opened it yet because im wondering if the pivos or g box will blow it out of the water . Please let me know what you guys recommend overall ? Thanks in advance !!

It depends on how you intend to use it. Both have their own set of issues(and you are at the mercy of their support forums) but IMO pivos is better than gbox.
(2013-07-02, 23:34)milli Wrote:
(2013-07-02, 21:52)jyoung1418 Wrote: which is better the pivos or the g box ? I am in the market to buy. Sounds like the pivos has better support but the g box has better specs. Which is overall better ? I am not very good when it comes to hacking these boxes as I had an apple tv 1 and tried to jailbreak it and wasn't successful. I ordered a apple tv2 and haven't opened it yet because im wondering if the pivos or g box will blow it out of the water . Please let me know what you guys recommend overall ? Thanks in advance !!

It depends on how you intend to use it. Both have their own set of issues(and you are at the mercy of their support forums) but IMO pivos is better than gbox.

The main thing I would use it for would be to watch movies and tv. I dont have cable right now so im looking for a cable alternative. Do any of these boxes play live tv or do u you just select from a list and pick which episode you want to watch? I have a wd live tv 1 terabyte which I transfer my movies to after i download them this works well for watching movies. Do you have a apple tv2 ? if so which do u like better the apple tv 2 or pivos?
I was looking on amazon there were a few diff. pivos for sale what is the best model ? and is it easy to jailbreak it or should I buy one with everything installed already ? Thanks
Best post I've read in a long time.
Loved it Wink
Also answered my question about Pivos as a few of the threads on here were starting to make it sound like they had indeed bought XBMC.
Thanks for answering so frankly/directly without being all P.C. - clarified nicely Smile

(2012-11-06, 07:41)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 20:29)Dave_qp Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: Pivos did not 'buy' it

They might as well have, ARM support here seems to be just an extension of the Pivos sales team

(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: What Pivos will not do is provide prebuilt binaries to competing hw vendors.

Competing hardware vendors should be linking to the XBMC ARM android/Linux build guide here on the download page... oh wait...

Unfortunately I am now resigned to wait for Ouya

You're pissing off the guy who's working to make XBMC run on all boxes, and who's one of the first people to make sure that Pivos makes all their code available to the public.

I'll tell you this, I don't get a single dime from Pivos, and it doesn't matter to me personally if they are successful or burn to the ground. I'm a cheap SOB who has little regard for brand loyalty and only cares if it works or not. I think it's great that Pivos is working so well with the open source community, but I do not feel indebted to them. When I recommend a Pivos box to someone it is because it is the best option right now. I've been burned on cheap Android boxes before, and some of this stuff isn't even safe to connect to your TV.

At the same time, I've encouraged discussion on getting other Android boxes to work, and I've even donated a little money to other people's efforts to bring quality Android box hardware to market. I'm not alone on that either.

Allwinner A10 Android boxes (like the MK802) had great potential to be another key XBMC target, and we had developers specifically going after them and asking Allwinner for help and support. You know what Allwinner did? They lied to our developers and strung them around. So don't go blaming Team XBMC for not having other ARM chips being supported.

The unfounded paranoid bullshit spewing from your mouth and the mouths of others like you is one of the reasons it is so hard to get open source groups and companies to work together. A lot of developers don't want to deal with the baseless accusations, and development suffers for it.

Pivos is not just building XBMC binaries, they're also testing them, tweaking them, and doing a ton of leg work needed to make a polished distribution. They also build and test and tweak the Android FW for their boxes too, and pay for licenses for various codecs so they can legally sell their hardware, as well as make sure their hardware conforms to the standards of those codecs. They also make sure that whatever factory is building their box isn't taking shortcuts like not installing voltage circuit protection to save money (Most MK802 sticks that run A10 chips do not have voltage protection on their HDMI port, meaning they could potentially fry your TV). Code is open source, but the time and effort to make sure it works well and that people are happy is not open source.

When other companies start doing their own leg work and QA testing, and actually have a nice working product, then I would be glad to recommend them as well.
(2013-07-03, 00:06)jyoung1418 Wrote:
(2013-07-02, 23:34)milli Wrote:

The main thing I would use it for would be to watch movies and tv. I dont have cable right now so im looking for a cable alternative. Do any of these boxes play live tv or do u you just select from a list and pick which episode you want to watch? I have a wd live tv 1 terabyte which I transfer my movies to after i download them this works well for watching movies. Do you have a apple tv2 ? if so which do u like better the apple tv 2 or pivos?
I was looking on amazon there were a few diff. pivos for sale what is the best model ? and is it easy to jailbreak it or should I buy one with everything installed already ? Thanks

What kind of movies? if they are dvd/bluray iso's both have issues playing them. I don't use it much for live tv but it depends on the add-ons available for the channels you would want to watch. Addons themselves rely on someone else streaming them for free and most of the time I find them totally unreliable. I question when someone says replace your cable with XBMC box unless you have paid subscriptions such as hulu, netflix etc. To me it is definitely not a replacement.

Xios DS is the latest one from pivos I was referring to earlier but again only their linux xbmc is more usable than android based which comes installed. You would have to install the linux version from a micro SD card. But it is much easier than jailbreaking an Apple TV and then installing XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pivos xios or g-box0