Pivos xios or g-box
Smile 
I have a Mac mini ppc and when streaming hd video it buffer. DVD quality is fin. My question is how's the streaming for the two product. I heard xios heats up right since there's no built in fan. How about gbox can u surf net with gbox.?
pivos rules, gbox drools.
(2012-11-05, 02:47)cman44 Wrote: G-BOX has better specs, and all the software updates for pivos work on G-box

not the next one Smile
Go pivos. The support has been fantastic.
i dont own either one but going just by the 2 threads i see nothing but strugles with the g-box. With lack of support for the g-box it just seems like a big cluster xxxx. just my oppinion
(2012-11-05, 03:03)davilla Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 02:47)cman44 Wrote: G-BOX has better specs, and all the software updates for pivos work on G-box

not the next one Smile

good for you guys. why should another hardware company that provides absolutely no support benifit from all the hard work you guys have done.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-11-05, 03:03)davilla Wrote:

not the next one Smile

and here was me thinking XBMC was open source, when did Pivos buy it?
Pivos did not 'buy' it, in fact pivos has gone out of it's way to make sure that all xbmc code is pushed open. Including the major work that got XBMC onto android platform in the 1st place.

What Pivos will not do is provide prebuilt binaries to competing hw vendors. They will have to build and provide their own solution and not parasite off what Pivos provides to its customers. This is not an 'open source' issue, the source code is out there, provided by Pivos in fact. This is a company embracing open source and not allowing others to parasite off what it provides to its customers.

What you should be asking is when will g-box/oval elephant step up and start providing their own binaries and actually contributing to XBMC source code like Pivos does rather than trying to make a quick buck in the market.
(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: Pivos did not 'buy' it

They might as well have, ARM support here seems to be just an extension of the Pivos sales team

(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: What Pivos will not do is provide prebuilt binaries to competing hw vendors.

Competing hardware vendors should be linking to the XBMC ARM android/Linux build guide here on the download page... oh wait...

Unfortunately I am now resigned to wait for Ouya
(2012-11-05, 20:29)Dave_qp Wrote: Unfortunately I am now resigned to wait for Ouya

Why not provide binaries and/or a build guide yourself?
I owned both. If you were to buy the Gbox get the Midnight and NOT the Dyno.

The Gbox runs the Android system much better than Pivos. All apps runs smooth and great.
Web browsing, games, and flash video site perform better due to the superior chipset. Oh and Gbox xbmc actually runs better than Pivos.

The only complaint I have is every three or four minutes of playing video there is a slight hitch, barely noticeble unless you are a videophile like I am.
But when I watch movies with friends and family they don't notice those hitches. They actually think I'm crazy or seeing things.

Because of that reason alone I'm not ready to put the Gbox as my main media player, but my family and friends are crazy about it. There so many thing that device could do.

For now I stick with the Pivos with the Linux-xbmc version to play my favorite 1080p movies but I will be keeping a keen eye on the further developement of the
Gbox Midnight as I think it has great potential.
(2012-11-05, 23:20)twelvebore Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 20:29)Dave_qp Wrote: Unfortunately I am now resigned to wait for Ouya

Why not provide binaries and/or a build guide yourself?

I think it would be an idea for me to use Linux or android first, before writing guides for other people
(2012-11-05, 20:29)Dave_qp Wrote:
(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: Pivos did not 'buy' it

They might as well have, ARM support here seems to be just an extension of the Pivos sales team

(2012-11-05, 06:19)davilla Wrote: What Pivos will not do is provide prebuilt binaries to competing hw vendors.

Competing hardware vendors should be linking to the XBMC ARM android/Linux build guide here on the download page... oh wait...

Unfortunately I am now resigned to wait for Ouya

You're pissing off the guy who's working to make XBMC run on all boxes, and who's one of the first people to make sure that Pivos makes all their code available to the public.

I'll tell you this, I don't get a single dime from Pivos, and it doesn't matter to me personally if they are successful or burn to the ground. I'm a cheap SOB who has little regard for brand loyalty and only cares if it works or not. I think it's great that Pivos is working so well with the open source community, but I do not feel indebted to them. When I recommend a Pivos box to someone it is because it is the best option right now. I've been burned on cheap Android boxes before, and some of this stuff isn't even safe to connect to your TV.

At the same time, I've encouraged discussion on getting other Android boxes to work, and I've even donated a little money to other people's efforts to bring quality Android box hardware to market. I'm not alone on that either.

Allwinner A10 Android boxes (like the MK802) had great potential to be another key XBMC target, and we had developers specifically going after them and asking Allwinner for help and support. You know what Allwinner did? They lied to our developers and strung them around. So don't go blaming Team XBMC for not having other ARM chips being supported.

The unfounded paranoid bullshit spewing from your mouth and the mouths of others like you is one of the reasons it is so hard to get open source groups and companies to work together. A lot of developers don't want to deal with the baseless accusations, and development suffers for it.

Pivos is not just building XBMC binaries, they're also testing them, tweaking them, and doing a ton of leg work needed to make a polished distribution. They also build and test and tweak the Android FW for their boxes too, and pay for licenses for various codecs so they can legally sell their hardware, as well as make sure their hardware conforms to the standards of those codecs. They also make sure that whatever factory is building their box isn't taking shortcuts like not installing voltage circuit protection to save money (Most MK802 sticks that run A10 chips do not have voltage protection on their HDMI port, meaning they could potentially fry your TV). Code is open source, but the time and effort to make sure it works well and that people are happy is not open source.

When other companies start doing their own leg work and QA testing, and actually have a nice working product, then I would be glad to recommend them as well.
Also, XBMC has provided a build guide since day one: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ME.android (that link is in the Android FAQ (wiki), too).
I've got 4 XBMC boxes all running on HTPCs in the house right now, and I'm building a new box for the in laws so they can stream some International TV easily in their living room as they are both pretty technology impaired. Picked the Pivos XIOS over the G-Box after going through the Pivos & G-Box forums, I find the fact that pivos is supporting the box and building custom Linux builds with XBMC on it for the Pivos box shows how much support they have for their products where in the G-Box people are just using the Pivos stuff. Thats just plain lazy. Anyways I just ordered a Pivos Xios should be here in a day or two, can't wait.
Thumbs Up 
(2012-11-06, 07:41)Ned Scott Wrote: You're pissing off the guy who's working to make XBMC run on all boxes, and who's one of the first people to make sure that Pivos makes all their code available to the public.

I'll tell you this, I don't get a single dime from Pivos, and it doesn't matter to me personally if they are successful or burn to the ground. I'm a cheap SOB who has little regard for brand loyalty and only cares if it works or not. I think it's great that Pivos is working so well with the open source community, but I do not feel indebted to them. When I recommend a Pivos box to someone it is because it is the best option right now. I've been burned on cheap Android boxes before, and some of this stuff isn't even safe to connect to your TV.

At the same time, I've encouraged discussion on getting other Android boxes to work, and I've even donated a little money to other people's efforts to bring quality Android box hardware to market. I'm not alone on that either.

Allwinner A10 Android boxes (like the MK802) had great potential to be another key XBMC target, and we had developers specifically going after them and asking Allwinner for help and support. You know what Allwinner did? They lied to our developers and strung them around. So don't go blaming Team XBMC for not having other ARM chips being supported.

The unfounded paranoid bullshit spewing from your mouth and the mouths of others like you is one of the reasons it is so hard to get open source groups and companies to work together. A lot of developers don't want to deal with the baseless accusations, and development suffers for it.

Pivos is not just building XBMC binaries, they're also testing them, tweaking them, and doing a ton of leg work needed to make a polished distribution. They also build and test and tweak the Android FW for their boxes too, and pay for licenses for various codecs so they can legally sell their hardware, as well as make sure their hardware conforms to the standards of those codecs. They also make sure that whatever factory is building their box isn't taking shortcuts like not installing voltage circuit protection to save money (Most MK802 sticks that run A10 chips do not have voltage protection on their HDMI port, meaning they could potentially fry your TV). Code is open source, but the time and effort to make sure it works well and that people are happy is not open source.

When other companies start doing their own leg work and QA testing, and actually have a nice working product, then I would be glad to recommend them as well.

Nice post! Thumbs up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pivos xios or g-box0