My new server (windows 8 based)
So I just finished my new windows 8 based server and wanted to show you guys how it turned out.

Spec: (I do know it's overkill)
7 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB (cheap, fairly quiet, pretty fast and not power hungry)
1 SAMSUNG 830 SERIES 128GB SSD SATA/600 MLC (nice and fast)
1 LIAN LI PC-V2120B FULLTOWER BLACK (the best of the best with noise cancellation and a lot of space for hard drives)
1 INTEL CORE I3 3220T 2.80GHZ 3MB S-1155 IVY (doesn't use power, stays cold and stays quiet)
1 CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (4X4GB) (excellent ram)
1 COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO HYBRID 850W (so overkill but so perfect: can power a 40hdd+ server, fan-less mode, quiet, platinum (ish) efficiency, fan controller included and fully modular)
1 ASUS P8Z77-V Z77 S-1155 ATX IVY (8sata ports, wifi, cold, excellent quality and a lot of fancy functions I'll never use)

The case comes in a box bigger than most east European countries

Removable motherboard tray

Hard-drives

CPU and ram installed (take note of the tiny T series cooler from intel - actually lower than the low profile ram)

Cable management done and everything is (fairly) nice and clean

Case closed and ready to go

Gonna post some more pictures and screenshots a bit later.
Nice hardware, what made you choose Windows 8 and not Server 2012 or even a solid BSD variant? Smile
windows 8 = 40$
windows 7 + software raid = 200$
whs 2012 = 800$
unraid = 200-400$ in work hours to get perfect (my private tracker would require me to port a supported client from linux)

WHS 2012 is awesome but i don't need the pricy futures.

For me it was a simple choice...
I'll be very interested to hear your experiences with Storage Spaces.

Nice build.
What did this system set yeah back? Looking to do a nas to put all my dvd blu-ray back up all pc's music etc.
Nice looking build. Let us know how the Storage Spaces works if you intend on using it.

I think you could have got WHS 2011 for around $49.99 also.

It cost me about 15500nok = 2000eur = 2800 usd in Norway so prices will definitely be better in other countries...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My new server (windows 8 based)0