Help With Altering Home Window Buttons
Hi

I am a Noob when it comes to XBMC, and very much so with skinning, and righting code, but I'm trying to learn. I'm sorry if my questions are very basic and I seem a bit simple.

I thought it would be good to start by trying to edit an existing skin in a minor way, so I have been trying to alter the function of some of the buttons on the home screen in AEON MQ4.

I don't really have a lot of use for the images function, so wanted to change this to take me to a specific folder which holds my kids movies. To do this I have tried to follow the instructions here.

I have my sources set out as follows:

<sources>
<programs>
<default pathversion="1"></default>
</programs>
<video>
<source>
<name>MoviesDownloadsNAS</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://FREENAS/mediavolumeshare1/XBMC Media/Movies/</path>
</source>
<source>
<name>TVShowsNAS</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://FREENAS/mediavolumeshare1/XBMC Media/TV Shows/</path>
</source>
<source>
<name>KidsMovies</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://FREENAS/mediavolumeshare1/XBMC Media/Kids/Kids Movies/</path>
</source>
</video>
<music>
</music>
<pictures>
<default pathversion="1"></default>>
</pictures>
<files>
</files>
</sources>

And I believe the 'ActivateWindow' paths I am looking to alter for in MQ4 are found in the IncludesMainMenu.xml.

i have altered the code to what I believed to be correct as follows:

StringCompare(skin.s<include name="menu_pictures">
<label fallback="31008">$INFO[skin.string(pictures_label)]</label>
<icon>$VAR[value_mainmenubg_pictures]</icon>
<onclick condition="![Skin.HasSetting(custommode) | Skin.HasSetting(furnitureselectormode)]">ActivateWindow(videos,KidsMovies,return)</onclick>
<onclick condition="Skin.HasSetting(custommode)">Skin.SetString(custom_pos,menu_pictures)</onclick>
<onclick condition="Skin.HasSetting(custommode)">Skin.SetString(custom_bg,pictures_bg)</onclick>
tring(vpl7),mainmenu5) | StringCompare(skin.string(vpl8),mainmenu5) | StringCompare(skin.string(vpl9),mainmenu5) | StringCompare(skin.string(vpl10),mainmenu5)]] + [!StringCompare(skin.string(sublibraryvideos),pos0) | Skin.HasSetting(custommode)]</visible>
</item>

However, when I go into XBMC and select this button, I am taken to a blank list, and not the KidsMovies folder on my share.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself clearly, but does anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong?

I know that MQ4 is a much more advanced skin that that which is used in the tutorial, and I am most defiantly trying to run before I can crawl, but It would be brilliant if I could change this functionality.

Sorry again if you feel I am waiting your valuable time.

Thanks
Instead of using videos,KidsMovies,return try adding the kids movies folder to your favourites and then get the path from your favourites.xml.
(2012-11-05, 22:50)Hitcher Wrote: Instead of using videos,KidsMovies,return try adding the kids movies folder to your favourites and then get the path from your favourites.xml.

Hi Hitcher

Thank you very much for your reply.

I added 'KidsMovies to my favorites as you suggested, and it returned with the following path:

<favourite name="KidsMovies">ActivateWindow(10025,"smb://FREENAS/mediavolumeshare1/XBMC Media/Kids/Kids Movies/")</favourite>

I then added this in pl;ace of the previous path of videos,KidsMovies,return as shown below, but to no avail. I must have the code wrong somewhere.

<icon>$VAR[value_mainmenubg_pictures]</icon>
<onclick condition="![Skin.HasSetting(custommode) | Skin.HasSetting(furnitureselectormode)]">ActivateWindow(10025,"smb://FREENAS/mediavolumeshare1/XBMC Media/Kids/Kids Movies/")</onclick>
check the Debug Log Smile
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Hi Guys

I tired Hitchers suggested method again, but this time on the MQ4 skinners cut which I hadn't messed about with and it worked! Big Grin Thank you both very much for your help.

Could either of you recommend any type of tutorial or guide to help a novice like me pick up the basics of skinning?

Thanks again!
Don't know if you knew about these, but:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._Tutorials
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ing_Manual
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
XBMC Skinning Manual
Changes to the skinning engine for XBMC Frodo

By the way, you have picked one of the most difficult skins to start learning skinning. Confluence or Foundation is the best way to start.

Cheers
Nessus
(2012-11-07, 12:04)MassIV Wrote: Don't know if you knew about these, but:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._Tutorials
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ing_Manual

(2012-11-07, 12:15)nessus Wrote: XBMC Skinning Manual
Changes to the skinning engine for XBMC Frodo

By the way, you have picked one of the most difficult skins to start learning skinning. Confluence or Foundation is the best way to start.

Cheers
Nessus

Thanks guys. I'll get reading.

Yeah I know MQ4 is pretty advanced stuff. I wanted to change that specific path for my own use really.

I think I will take your advice, and try and start altering Confluence while I get to grips with the basics.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help With Altering Home Window Buttons0