XMBC + Raspberry for Advertising TV
Hello,

I'm about to get my first Raspberry B. My aim is to use the Raspberry with XBMC on a TV for some advertising purpose.

I would like to use this solution to :
- display advertising video or presentation (ppt or equivalent ...)
- shutdown the solution for example after 8:00 PM
- restart the solution for example on 08:00 AM and start the advertisement reading automatically ...

If possible, it would be great if the video advertisement update can be as easy as possible so every non-geek people can update the video.

Do you think it will be possible to achieve that with a Raspberry with XBMC ? If yes, do you some advice for me ...

Thank you in advance.

PS : I'm french so please do not focus on my spelling mistake Huh
You could create a playlist that loads on startup and loops. Why would you want it to stop at a certain time?
I want to stop all equipment on a certain time for some "Green IT" purpose....
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...63&t=18043
IIRC, since the Pi is on all the time, a scheduled shutdown/stop won't actually save any power for the Pi itself. It might be worth it if the Pi is able to stop the HDMI signal, which can trigger some TVs to turn off/sleep, but I don't remember if the Pi can do that or not (mine is dead and replacement is on backorder).

For easy updating, it depends on how you want to do it, but I can imagine several "newbie friendly" methods. One would be to make the playlist that joebrady talked about simply populate itself based on the contents of a USB drive. That way one would take the USB drive out, add or remove whatever videos they wanted, and put it back in, and XBMC would do its thing without having to touch anything on XBMC.
I just finish installing Raspbmc on my PI and it seems to be working quite well ...

Now, I need to configure Raspbmc to monitor the content of a folder, for example on the usb key, and to add the content to the playlist and read it in loops.

Do you have some advise to do that ?
(2012-11-11, 15:29)zeuss14 Wrote: I just finish installing Raspbmc on my PI and it seems to be working quite well ...

Now, I need to configure Raspbmc to monitor the content of a folder, for example on the usb key, and to add the content to the playlist and read it in loops.

Do you have some advise to do that ?

maybe a minimal distro (for example based on openelec) with omxplayer instead xbmc would fit your needs better, in this way you can create a script script which scans for files in a folder and play them in a loop via omxplayer

greetings, Stephan

What is better with omxplayer than the normal one in RaspBMC?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2012-11-11, 21:03)pettergulbra Wrote: What is better with omxplayer than the normal one in RaspBMC?

has nothing todo with raspbmc... but using xbmc for his needs is a bit overkill... i think a stable and robust distro with a standalone omxplayer and a autostart script to read the content from a folder or/and (alternativly) a playlist file - maybe together with a samba server to easy store the videos on the rpi and change/upload the playlist file will be a nice 10-15MB distro for his needs.
greetings, Stephan

OK, then I understand a little bit more. Thanks for the info :-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
Ok, I will try openelec and I think it will fit my need ...
If you are still interested in keepin' it green, consider using a MicroUSB cable to plug into the Pi and also the USB "Service Port" on the television. Most HDTVs have one of these, if not a "real" USB port for DLNA sharing. I use the service port with my Pi on my bedroom TV and it works great. Turn on the TV, wait for the Pi to boot and enjoy! And when my TV turns off automatically via the built-in sleep timer, the Pi is turned off as well.
@Gr8rtek :

This is a very good idea. Can you give me your TV model ?

Just a small question, how do you turn off your TV ? via your remote control (=you put the TV in "sleep mode") or completly off by turning off the power of the TV for example ?
I have USB "service ports" on my 32" LG and 42" LG, plus my 55" Samsung. All work in the same way. My bedroom tv is the 32" LG and it has a feature that I use to turn it off (standby) at midnight every night, as long as the internal clock is set to the correct time Wink It works very well for my needs.
(2012-11-11, 21:33)sraue Wrote:
(2012-11-11, 21:03)pettergulbra Wrote: What is better with omxplayer than the normal one in RaspBMC?

has nothing todo with raspbmc... but using xbmc for his needs is a bit overkill... i think a stable and robust distro with a standalone omxplayer and a autostart script to read the content from a folder or/and (alternativly) a playlist file - maybe together with a samba server to easy store the videos on the rpi and change/upload the playlist file will be a nice 10-15MB distro for his needs.

Wondering if someone can help me to access the built in video player in raspbmc from the command line. I read that it might be called paplayer but that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC + Raspberry for Advertising TV 0