A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!
Updated OP

I TYPED THIS FROM MY AWESOME NEW HTPC
Congrats! The only thing your OP is missing is some pictures of your beautiful HTPC Smile
Pics added, they're a little big. Let me know if I should downsize them at all.
(2012-12-07, 03:18)Joe K Wrote: Pics added, they're a little big. Let me know if I should downsize them at all.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing those!
More updates have been added, working on making it easier to read.
@Joe K
I hope you don´t feel like I´m hijacking your Thread. If so, please tell me and I will remove this post.
Since my built is very similar to yours I didn´t see the point in opening my own.

My parts:
CPU: A10-5700
COOLER: Scythe Shuriken Rev.B (SCSK-1100)
MB: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 (ITX)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB DDR3-1866 CL9
SSD: Crucial C300 128GB (had it lying around)
CASE: Realan E-I7
PSU: PicoPSU shipped with Realan E-I7 but with 120W/10A AC-Adapter instead of 84W/7A
IR: FLIRC
Remote: Harmony One
Differences to Joe K´s built are red

Some pictures:
parts:

space available for RAM:

cooler:

not possible to use the graphics port with this cooler:

I´m going to mill additional ventilation holes into the top cover
and add two be quiet! Silent Wings 2 PWM 80mm case fans. Because it can get pretty damn hot inside.

For everyone who is curious about the power draw I´ve made some videos:
BIOS 3.4GHz SystemBoot
(RAM @1833, everything else is default)

BIOS 2.4GHz SystemBoot
(Turbo mode deactivated, clocked at 2.4GHz, RAM @1833, everything else is default)

Looks like underclocked there is a slight power consumption increase while playing a video: (link to the Jellyfish testfile)
Jelly 3.4GHz withTurbo ~35Watt

Jelly 2.4GHz noTurbo ~39Watt

First of all sorry for the very amateurish videos, still figuring this out.
I also made videos of the comparison watching these files but these had pretty much the same result as the one above.

Kind of interesting that sitting in the xbmc-gui is drawing about 15Watt more than playing a video.Huh

btw the glaring blue led on the picoPSU was really bugging me, but I thought killing it wouldn´t be
very wise so I put a small plastic lid on it.

If I find more time, i´m going to do more testing. If someone wants something specific feel free to ask.

since there are only 6 images allowed...here is the rest:
a very tight fit of the cooler:

and the complete built:
I think it's awesome you have a Big Shuriken in that case. My guess is there is not enough airspace above the fan to draw air down so the heat gets trapped. I'll be curious to see the result of your milling the top and hear about how you do that.
No worries, happy someone else is doing a similar thing!

That Shuriken is definitely a bit oversized for the case. I would be interested in hearing what your temps are once you mill out the top of the case.

Also, make sure you update your chipset for that mobo! After updating my chipset from the default one Windows 7 gave my temps dropped pretty drastically, I'm sure power draw would drop as well as a direct correlation. Also keep in mind the temps are TCTL, so having a reading of 0 is normal! (doesn't mean 0degC)

Another good option for fans would be http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produ...d=9&lng=en
Using it at L.N.A. (medium fan speed) produces 39 m³/h of airflow with only 10 dB(A)
Compared to 44.2 m³/h at 15.5 dB(A) from the be quiet! fan. A pretty stiff jump in noise for not much more performance.
(2012-12-14, 07:20)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think it's awesome you have a Big Shuriken in that case. My guess is there is not enough airspace above the fan to draw air down so the heat gets trapped. I'll be curious to see the result of your milling the top and hear about how you do that.
That is exactly whats happening. I really hope the additional holes are enough
I´ve already made two versions of the top cover:
v1:
v2:

I think i´m going with v1. I´ve ordered some dust filters for underneath the top cover and for the sides from
http://www.demcifilter.com/
(2012-12-14, 07:48)Joe K Wrote: Also, make sure you update your chipset for that mobo! After updating my chipset from the default one Windows 7 gave my temps dropped pretty drastically, I'm sure power draw would drop as well as a direct correlation. Also keep in mind the temps are TCTL, so having a reading of 0 is normal! (doesn't mean 0degC)

Another good option for fans would be http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produ...d=9&lng=en
Using it at L.N.A. (medium fan speed) produces 39 m³/h of airflow with only 10 dB(A)
Compared to 44.2 m³/h at 15.5 dB(A) from the be quiet! fan. A pretty stiff jump in noise for not much more performance.
Thanks for the link, pretty convincing. The noctua is also cheaper and comes with a needed Y-Adapter.
Will order two.
I´ve installed everything for the mainboard from here
Not quite sure if maybe Catalyst 12.10 would be newer.
12.11 beta seems to fix an issue with xbmc.

some other things:
above mentioned simple LED solution

Windows 8 Performance Rating:
Very nice guys! Glad to see new builds... Wink Looking great!

Happy Holidays!!!!

@ Solidsatras...

Why not the Scythe BIG Shuriken Rev. 2B it is a little lower...
(2012-12-14, 14:59)solidsatras Wrote:
(2012-12-14, 07:20)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think it's awesome you have a Big Shuriken in that case. My guess is there is not enough airspace above the fan to draw air down so the heat gets trapped. I'll be curious to see the result of your milling the top and hear about how you do that.
That is exactly whats happening. I really hope the additional holes are enough
I´ve already made two versions of the top cover:
v1:
v2:

I think i´m going with v1. I´ve ordered some dust filters for underneath the top cover and for the sides from

How did you get these milled? Did you do it yourself? I wish I had access to that kind of equipment to make a mod like that.
(2012-12-14, 14:59)solidsatras Wrote: I think i´m going with v1. I´ve ordered some dust filters for underneath the top cover and for the sides from

Only buy air filters for intakes. Vents without fans blowing in will obviously be pushing air out, that means it is taking whatever dust made it through the intake filters in the first place, e.g. less dust in your case!

(2012-12-14, 14:59)solidsatras Wrote: 12.11 beta seems to fix an issue with xbmc.

What issue were you having?
(2012-12-15, 05:54)Joe K Wrote:
(2012-12-14, 14:59)solidsatras Wrote: I think i´m going with v1. I´ve ordered some dust filters for underneath the top cover and for the sides from

Only buy air filters for intakes. Vents without fans blowing in will obviously be pushing air out, that means it is taking whatever dust made it through the intake filters in the first place, e.g. less dust in your case!
I used the same air filter in the past, and it kept the dust out of the PC's. Since the frame is magnetic, you can simply stick it on the outer case cover.

I installed on both intake and vent ports. The filter on the vent port is need it to prevent dust from getting in when the PC is off. I noticed dusts before I installed the filter at the vent port......

I'm glad that you brought this up in here. It remind to get some filters for my current PC's......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-14, 15:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote: How did you get these milled? Did you do it yourself? I wish I had access to that kind of equipment to make a mod like that.
My university has nice equipment and I hope to get it done there.
I just have to provide the drawings. I´ve worked as a design engineer for a short time so thats not a problem.
(2012-12-15, 05:54)Joe K Wrote: Only buy air filters for intakes. Vents without fans blowing in will obviously be pushing air out, that means it is taking whatever dust made it through the intake filters in the first place, e.g. less dust in your case!
What issue were you having?
Will do, thanks.
Didn´t had any issues, was just suprised to see xbmc mentioned in the changelog.
(2012-12-15, 07:03)bluray Wrote: I'm glad that you brought this up in here. It remind to get some filters for my current PC's......
You´re welcome.
The good thing is they also come with an adhesive strip so I can put them on the aluminum cover.
(2012-12-15, 12:28)solidsatras Wrote: The good thing is they also come with an adhesive strip so I can put them on the aluminum cover.
I preferred the magnet, because the adhesive tend to leave sticky residue on the case cover....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!0