A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!

(2012-12-15, 07:03)bluray Wrote: I installed on both intake and vent ports. The filter on the vent port is need it to prevent dust from getting in when the PC is off. I noticed dusts before I installed the filter at the vent port...

It's debatable... I would think the positive air pressure on the inside of the case would carry more dust out while it's on compared to the amount of dust that gets in while it's off. I suppose it would matter how often you have your computer on and how much air intake you have.
(2012-12-15, 22:54)Joe K Wrote:
(2012-12-15, 07:03)bluray Wrote: I installed on both intake and vent ports. The filter on the vent port is need it to prevent dust from getting in when the PC is off. I noticed dusts before I installed the filter at the vent port...

It's debatable... I would think the positive air pressure on the inside of the case would carry more dust out while it's on compared to the amount of dust that gets in while it's off. I suppose it would matter how often you have your computer on and how much air intake you have.
When there is hole, the dusts will find its way in there....you can minimize it by place the filter infront of it.....before I placed the filter in front of the vent, there were a lot of dusts getting through it.....

You can do your own experiment by having filter in front the intake port and not having the filter in front the vent.....you can open the case six monts to a year later to verify it. Blow all the dusts out and place filters infront of the intake port and vent, and open the case six months to a year later. You'll see which one idea have less dusts in the PC......

I did the experiments on equipments and computers at work several years ago....I end up installing filters on both the intake and vent ports.....we remove the filter and blow off the dust from the filter every six months...

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Updated OP regarding Dolphin (Wii emulator). Just in case anyone was wondering.
I am going to have to try the PK-1. I see it in the chart for the Indigo Extreme. These A10-5700/E-i7s need every degree C reduction I can get out of them!
Great looking build Joe K so the temps don't run to high while running 1080p or gaming with Dolphin?

Also looks very tight inside can you still use a optical drive or not?

This looks like the build i would like to do.

Dougie what temps would you like to see?
With a Scythe Kozuti there is room for an optical drive. Even the stock Trinity cooler will fit and allow a drive.

To help with temps with a taller cooler like those you can mount the SSD vertically with one screw from the top mounting plate or even simpler with a little velcro or double-sided tape against the side of the case. Place it where the internal power cord is and then have a fan or two on the opposite side of the case where it's more open.

Temps under 60C make me happy but for gaming if it spiked up but still under 70C I'd be ok with that.

If i use an optical is that going to make my temps worse? I plan on building a couple of these one for my uncle one for me i doubt he will do much if any gaming but i probably will and i like the small size of this.

Also it will do it all correct?

1080P
3D
HD audio bit-streaming
emulation
If you don't use an optical drive you can remove the optical drive tray and put a larger CPU cooler in like the Scythe Shuriken Rev.B SCSK-1100 or even the Big Shuriken.

For an A10-5700 in the E-i7 you need a 150W AC adapter.
I read somewhere one complaint about this motherboard was the cheap audio? Will this affect the ability to bitstream through HDMI?
I've posted this elsewhere about temps:

I finally was able to type the correct keywords and get some useful information about the temperatures.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1330946/amd-t...ture-guide

It seems that the newer processors are using a different temperature scale based on TCTL. The fact that I'm getting 0 (using CoreTemp) just means that was the start of the scale that was put on my processor, and 70 (for the A10-5700) is the max using the same scale. Also note that HWMonitor does not show the tctl scale from what I have seen.

Publication # 42300 from the following link explains the tctl scale on page 133.

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/...h&items=20

Assuming the TCTL_max is 70 for my processor, having a reading of 40 on the TCTL scale means I am 30 below the max, which is definitely in the safe zone from what I've researched. Within 20 of the max is where it starts getting into questionable territory.

I tend to get around 45 in CoreTemp when playing games, and 10 or less when watching movies (ambient temp of ~65F).

As for audio, if you could provide a link to that complaint I would love to see it. I was able to bitstream through HDMI just fine with this motherboard, and because it is a digital signal being sent I don't see how the motherboard could degrade that signal or anything of the sort.
Those are awesome temperatures for a quad-core in that case. Thanks for helping to validate it can be done.
I bought this setup however i am getting a wierd buzzing sound when i move the mouse around and also i get a humming sound while in XBMC watching a movie. Any suggestions?
(2013-02-09, 22:14)tazz0710 Wrote: I bought this setup however i am getting a wierd buzzing sound when i move the mouse around and also i get a humming sound while in XBMC watching a movie. Any suggestions?

I'll assume this buzzing is coming from your speakers.

Are you hooked up via HDMI or 3.5mm?

If you are hooked up via 3.5mm then chances are you may have a grounding issue. I had this problem with my laptop to a small extent when hooked up to a 3.5mm. It was too loud and sounded just like static. I was able to make it quieter (relatively) by turning up the volume on the computer all the way and controlling volume in XBMC (with +/- or a remote that controls it in XBMC). When you turn up the volume of your TV (or AVR) the sound probably gets higher, that's why you would turn up the rest of your machine first.

Unfortunately I do not have this problem with my setup, and I will note I am hooked up via HDMI (which sends a digital signal as opposed to analog of 3.5mm jack).

One more option would be to get something that acts as a ground to get rid of the static noise, just search for computer grounding buzz or something along those lines, there are some solutions out there.

To summarize some solutions:
Connect via HDMI if you aren't already
Turn up volume of your computer as much as possible before turning up your TV/AVR
Get something to help ground your device
Hi!

I'm quite fascinated by this build - looks great. I'm wondering how I could take this build and tack on a slim Blu-ray drive? I suppose the cooler would need to be smaller and the PSU more heavy duty? Any great suggestions - the Scythe Shuriken seems to be discontinued everywhere.

Also:
I can't find a slim internal Blu-ray drive anywhere - any pointers?
I saw some folks complaining about the audio chipset on the MSI board. This ASRock board (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A75M-ITX) uses something slightly different - is it a better option?

Thanks!
(2013-02-13, 22:51)constantcarnage Wrote: Hi!

I'm quite fascinated by this build - looks great. I'm wondering how I could take this build and tack on a slim Blu-ray drive? I suppose the cooler would need to be smaller and the PSU more heavy duty? Any great suggestions - the Scythe Shuriken seems to be discontinued everywhere.

Also:
I can't find a slim internal Blu-ray drive anywhere - any pointers?
I saw some folks complaining about the audio chipset on the MSI board. This ASRock board (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A75M-ITX) uses something slightly different - is it a better option?

Thanks!

You can find the build as a barebones here: E-i7 AMD Trinity mini-ITX barebones HTPC
Or, you can find the chassis/PSU/blu-ray here: Realan E-I7 mini-ITX HTPC / desktop computer case (add the 150W PSU and Blu-ray options).

The Scythe Kozuti will fit with a blu-ray installed. Clearance is 42mm +/-. There is also a Noctua cooler that is 37mm high. The PSU can stay the same -- 150W. If you put it together yourself a 80mm case fan is highly recommended.

The ASRock board you linked is an FM1 motherboard, not FM2 so it would not be compatible with the A10-5700. The ASRock FM2A75M-ITX is not recommended for use with the E-i7 chassis/power supply. If you don't need all the bells-and-whistles of the MSI, customers have reported success with the Zotac FM2 A55-ITX motherboard. If you're using sound over HDMI then the on-board sound chipset doesn't matter since it's all driven via the GPU when over HDMI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A10-5700 Mini ITX Build! Medium Gaming Graphics!0