Win Does XMBC support MCE remote controller?
Dear all,

I'm going to install XMBC to my HTPC, but I have a couple of questions below, could you please help me out?

Does XMBC support MCE remote controller directly? If yes, do all buttons on MCE remote controller match related functions in XMBC? If not, how should I do to have my MCE remote controller work for XMBC?

Besides, the configuration of my HTPC is below, please advice if it is good enough to play full HD video by DVXA in XMBC?

1. CPU: AMD X2 240
2. Mainboard: GIGABYTE 785GPM with ATI HD4200 GPU
3. Memory: 2G DDR3 1333
4. Remote controller: Toshiba MCE remote controller
5. OS: Win7 ultimate 32bit

Thanks a lot!

Yep it will play everything you throw at (except bitstreaming and 3D)

mce remotes work out of the box, however some buttons launch the windows media center.

several ways you can change it, the easiest way is to use the mce remote addon from the repo, and let it modify the registry to fix the buttons launching windows media center
Thanks for your prompt reply.

One more questions,
1. Do I need to install extra Video or audio decoder to support playing full HD video by DVXA in XMBC ?
2. Does xmbc support DVXA in winXP?
3. What's bitstreaming?
1. No external codecs are needed for XBMC.
3. When you use bitsreaming, the audio formats like DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS HDMA, Dolby TruHD are not decoded by xbmc, but it is send untouched to an external decoder like an AV Receiver. The AVR will then decode the signal to audio.
(2012-11-09, 17:58)baijuxavior Wrote: 1. No external codecs are needed for XBMC.
3. When you use bitsreaming, the audio formats like DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS HDMA, Dolby TruHD are not decoded by xbmc, but it is send untouched to an external decoder like an AV Receiver. The AVR will then decode the signal to audio.

Thank you!

For 3#, Just double check, I have an AV receiver with 5.1 channel audio, you mean XMBC is not capable of decoding DTS, Dolby Digital..., but it can send untouched audio signal for AV receiver to decode, I can still enjoy full HD video with DTS,Dolby Digital audio, right?
Yes that's right.
Just to clarify, xbmc is capable of decoding them and sending them as PCM stereo or multichannel, depending on what you select in the settings. The HD bitstreaming I mentioned only applies to the HD audio codecs like TrueHD and DTS-MA. XBMC can probably software decode those and send them as PCM to the receiver with your setup, but not untouched. Regular DTS or Dolby can be sent either way.

In the audio settings of xbmc, you select hdmi (or spdif) 5.1 and then you can select whether your receiver is capable of decoding Dolby or DTS. If you select No for DTS, then xbmc will decode it and send it to the receiver as PCM. Your DTS light on your receiver will not light up, but you'll still get 5.1 audio as long as your receiver supports multichannel pcm. If you select yes, then it will send the dts signal untouched, the receiver will decode and the DTS light on your receiver will light up.

DXVA2 is not supported in windows xp. You need vista or higher for that. Your setup will play 720p and 1080p scene encodes without dxva, however it might struggle with full bluray rips. I strongly recommend win 7 and dxva2 enabled, then you won't have any problems.
You can also install this software for the MCE remote... in 2 easy steps and every button works correctly to XBMC....

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/
I appreciate for your kindly help. I'm enjoying XMBC now.
I have one more question, how to use MCE remote controller to open the pop-up menu in XMBC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XMBC support MCE remote controller?0