Build Critique
So, I have decided to knock out Comcast cable. They will probably offer me a lower rate but I am sick of dealing with it and don’t need all the crap anyway. I currently pay $80 a month for TV so I should bank around $800 in twelve months after increased cable fees. More if I can cut a deal or drop down from Blast! With that, I am relatively new to the HTPC scene and want to make sure I am not going overboard here. I currently have a Boxee Box but that does not do DVR functions, it also has a crappy browser and limited apps. Thinking I will ether sell or pass along the Boxee Box.

What I would like the HTPC to do:

• Stream 1080P videos from the NAS/PC
• Perform DVR functionality from OTA antenna and QAM (wake up to record, channel listing, record…)
• Play DVDs, BRDVDs, CDs…
• Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc.…
• Emulate up to PS2, or at least GC Games
• Play basic steam games (SMB, Binding of Issac, Braid…)

So I have priced this box out, any suggestions? Puts me around $600 +drives.

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
FSP Group FSP450-60GHS(85)-R 450W Micro ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model MV-3V4G3D/US
ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz HD Graphics 4000
• 60GB SSD for OS/Games
• 1TB Green/Red or other for DVR
LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive Model UH12LS29
SILVERSTONE Black Grandia Series GD06B or
SILVERSTONE Black Series ML03B
• XBMC and either MythTV for back end DVR or with Windows MCE?

I want to move the movies and TV from my main desktop, it is a very power hungry gaming pc. I figure a DS212J with 6TB is more than enough for now (and the cheapest way to go) as I only have 1.6TB of shows currently. Hoping BF/CM will have some deals, if not I will probably just hold off on the NAS. Thanks.
That my friend is an excellent build. I use the same gpu for a workstation and it offers me a nice experience even when I'am playing a bit of Diablo 3 Smile. So it will do anything you have listed with ease.

Dont know what you want to be helped with? It seems like you have it down cold.

The case question is about taste and here, you are the final judge.
just a heads up, the mobo is full ATX, it won't fit into ML03B if you decide to go with that
Ah yeah nice catch, thought I had MicroATX selected. Any recommendations?
I just put together a similar build. I went with this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157303

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Critique0