Dell Studio Hybrid 140G - $175 - Should I pull the trigger?
Tight budget and a friend offered me this for $175 to use as an HTPC. Worth it?

I want to be able to fit in with Group #6 in this thread.

I hope to swap in a SSD and haven't researched to see if it has any available pci slots but perhaps a fanless graphics card?

EDIT: I plan to run either XMBC or PLEX softwarewise with some emulators for gaming. I have an external 2tb drive that will unfortunately connect up via the USB 2.0 ports since it doens't have 3.0.

T5800 2GHZ 800 FSB
4 Gigs ram 800 mhz
250 gig Hard drive
Wireless N Intel 5100
DVD RW
5in1 card reader
Hdmi and Dvi out
5 usb ports
windows 7 64 bit
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Not one reply?!
It should handles blu-ray 1080P video fine, but it doesn't seem to support bitstreaming HD audio...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-11, 04:37)bluray Wrote: It should handles blu-ray up 1080P video fine, but it doesn't seem to support bitstreaming HD audio...

I wonder what percent of XBMC users require bitstreaming HD audio? That would be a good poll to start, bluray.

Also, an audio test for the people who say they have to have it, just to see if they can really tell the difference. The results would be interesting.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-11-11, 06:03)maddog808 Wrote:
(2012-11-11, 04:37)bluray Wrote: It should handles blu-ray up 1080P video fine, but it doesn't seem to support bitstreaming HD audio...

I wonder what percent of XBMC users require bitstreaming HD audio? That would be a good poll to start, bluray.

Also, an audio test for the people who say they have to have it, just to see if they can really tell the difference. The results would be interesting.
I'm almost sure that most users don't bitstream HD audio, because their HT component don't support it. For those with capable AVR, majority are bitstreaming HD audio to fully utilize their AVR......

I guess I fall into the minority of having capable equipment but not streaming DTS-HD and TrueHD. Even with an overall fairly capable audio system (Onkyo NR1007, Swans Diva 2.1 mains, C3 center, Sonance THX-SUR surrounds, Ascendant Avalanche XBL2 subwoofer) I've not been able to demonstrate an instance where HD audio was a noticeable improvement over DD/DTS. As such, I stick with DD and DTS to keep file sizes down.
(2012-11-19, 23:51)IsleOfMan Wrote: I guess I fall into the minority of having capable equipment but not streaming DTS-HD and TrueHD. Even with an overall fairly capable audio system (Onkyo NR1007, Swans Diva 2.1 mains, C3 center, Sonance THX-SUR surrounds, Ascendant Avalanche XBL2 subwoofer) I've not been able to demonstrate an instance where HD audio was a noticeable improvement over DD/DTS. As such, I stick with DD and DTS to keep file sizes down.
It's not all about sound quality but rather preferences.......Blu-ray soundtracks.....

(2012-11-20, 04:36)bluray Wrote: It's not all about sound quality but rather preferences.......Blu-ray soundtracks.....

Indeed. My preference is to not to chew up large amounts of disc space with uncompressed or lossless audio tracks that, to my ear, do not offer any added clarity, detail, depth, sound-stage, etc.
I currently use a Dell Studio Hybrid 140G to watch XBMC on a 46" Samsung lcd hdtv. The only issue I have encountered is with the audio. While watching any program on any XBMC channel the volume will go soft and loud spuratically. I have no idea why. Any thoughts?
(2014-02-19, 23:30)TxTrey Wrote: I currently use a Dell Studio Hybrid 140G to watch XBMC on a 46" Samsung lcd hdtv. The only issue I have encountered is with the audio. While watching any program on any XBMC channel the volume will go soft and loud spuratically. I have no idea why. Any thoughts?
Have you try analog?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dell Studio Hybrid 140G - $175 - Should I pull the trigger?0