PVR streaming recommendation
Hi,

In the new house I am building, I would like to build a server that will stream TV out to about 4 clients via XBMC however I this is all new to me and after having a look at backends/add-ons, I'm still unsure about the best way to go about it.

As I said, this is all new to me so I have a couple of dumb questions..
  1. How many TV tuners would the server need? ie. If 3 different channels were being watched in the house and 2 OTHER channels were being recorded, do I need 5 TV tuners?
  2. Which combination of backend/add-on is the most simple/effective? allowing me to - pause live TV (then resume from playback) and schedule recordings all within XBMC (not fussed about other functionality).

I am especially curious to know the answer to the first question so I can get the sparky to install an appropriate amount of TV ports in my office.

If anyone can think of any other gotchas or must-dos while the house is being built that might save me a few headaches down the track, please also let me know your thoughts! (I'm running CAT6 to each TV)

Thanks in advance!
(2012-11-11, 12:40)Bocky Wrote: Hi,

In the new house I am building, I would like to build a server that will stream TV out to about 4 clients via XBMC however I this is all new to me and after having a look at backends/add-ons, I'm still unsure about the best way to go about it.

As I said, this is all new to me so I have a couple of dumb questions..
  1. How many TV tuners would the server need? ie. If 3 different channels were being watched in the house and 2 OTHER channels were being recorded, do I need 5 TV tuners?
  2. Which combination of backend/add-on is the most simple/effective? allowing me to - pause live TV (then resume from playback) and schedule recordings all within XBMC (not fussed about other functionality).

I am especially curious to know the answer to the first question so I can get the sparky to install an appropriate amount of TV ports in my office.

If anyone can think of any other gotchas or must-dos while the house is being built that might save me a few headaches down the track, please also let me know your thoughts! (I'm running CAT6 to each TV)

Thanks in advance!

1. Many tv-cards today is dual-tuners wich means you can watch 2 different channels at the same time. So five different channels at the same time would mean 3 tuners. But it depends on wich tv-card you choose. Also all channels would need to be free, since i'm guessing you can't decode 5 channels at the same time. Without doing stuff that aint allowed to talk about on this board.

2. Depends on what OS you'll be running. For windows i'm using mediaportal as backend, nextpvr looks promising but is still new. Timeshifting is "working" with latest xbmc builds, but not very well. Scheduling and other treats works very good.

In Linux, i used tvheadend as backend, it's very simple to configure, and has a nice web ui. Not sure about timeshift there. Scheduling works really well, and other things as well.
1. You need 1 tuner for every transponder. If you watch 2 channels from the same transponder, you only need 1 tuner for that. A dual-tuner card can get 2 transponders at once. In worst case you need 5 tuners. If you'r lucky you only need 1.

2. I'm using tvheadend. Very easy to use. Timeshifting is still on the to-do list.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR streaming recommendation0