WIP Finding it hard to navigate forum wiki talk
Hi all,

exactly what it says on the tin above. I find this forum really easy to nav about UNTIL I try to find wiki talk things! I am an admin over on NextPVR wiki. So do understand wiki isues....

I have just spent 1/2 hour trying to follow what I thought were wiki threads. It gave me a good handle (I think) but IMHO not really easy to follow?

Could not the forum discussion be further broken down to make it more clear?

cheers all, and love this work over @ xbmc

steeb
what do you mean - a dedicated subforum or maybe a topic tag [wiki] (like [Feature request], [WIP], ...)?
Hi da-anda

I couldn't be clear/say what I meant because it is much easier over at NextPVR! We do not have to deal with the amount of traffic you lot do over here @ xbmc :-)

I would have thought along the lines of a sub-forum? That way it woyuld be much easier to navigate straight to everything that was within a wiki forum other than just bundled into a general:

"Website and Forum issues or Suggestions"

where there is no specific trace for wiki talk?

Just ideas, I am finding it hard navigating your wiki talk, but then you lot know your forum well, I don't ;-)

cheers

What wiki talk? This is a support forum. Wiki is completely separate from the forum. If you think something is missing in the wiki just register and update it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Generally speaking, we've simply used whatever forum was related to the page being edited. For example, there's a thread in the PVR forum about getting the PVR wiki guide written. When the iOS FAQ was written we made an iOS Help Forum post, etc. If people are unsure where to post about the wiki they can always post in this forum for "website issues". I have no opposition to something more organized, but so far there doesn't seem to be enough wiki-specific discussion for a wiki-specific forum. I'm totally open to ideas, though.
(2012-11-14, 00:40)Martijn Wrote: What wiki talk? This is a support forum. Wiki is completely separate from the forum. If you think something is missing in the wiki just register and update it

Thanks Martijn for your comment. How do you see a wiki about using xbmc as separate from a forum that discusses using xbmc? I do not see your point? I could go mad editing the xbmc wiki to my heart's content, and then probably mess some things up in the meantime, that if I had discussed on the support forum first to reach some kind of agreement may have helped people to help me to understand what the possible protocols were etc and save a load of people a load of time cleaning up after me?

A wiki is of course just a documentation tool but it is still possible to have a community feel for it? And that was my point?

cheers

steeb
(2012-11-14, 02:06)Ned Scott Wrote: Generally speaking, we've simply used whatever forum was related to the page being edited. For example, there's a thread in the PVR forum about getting the PVR wiki guide written. When the iOS FAQ was written we made an iOS Help Forum post, etc. If people are unsure where to post about the wiki they can always post in this forum for "website issues". I have no opposition to something more organized, but so far there doesn't seem to be enough wiki-specific discussion for a wiki-specific forum. I'm totally open to ideas, though.

Hiya Ned Scott,

yes I do see this and how you have used it. Just IMO that appears quite hard to navigate? Is it possible that partially there is not enough wiki-specific discussion due to the fact that it is hard to find where the wiki is discussed? That of course may not be true as many people don't even bother reading a wiki and most just like to read them and not actually talk about how the content is arranged?

Just throwing questions out Confused

I still do not see how Martijn thinks that wiki talk about xbmc is nothing to do with a support forum ABOUT xbmc Huh

Where else would people discuss it?

Is not the wiki about xbmc essentially the manual (do I dare call it that?)

In that instance I would have thought that a landing place specific to the wiki manual would be handy, rather than having to chase hundred's of threads down about specific parts of xbmc?

Once again just an opinion but from the main forum there is nothing specific that really leads anyone to anything about a wiki/manual or documentation....

cheers

steeb

Hi all,

back again. Been working my way around the wiki tonight again. I cannot see how a Raspberry Pi is a backend?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...spberry_Pi

I thought it was a frontend? How do I get a Pi to have anything other than a USB receiver installed on it? As a frontend xbmc client however?

I have also been told that the map at the top of this page regards world signal sources is not accurate?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend

I understand that this is a wiki but also wonder why I could just go in and edit and mess it up (or not) is the preferred option rather than somewhere to chat about this stuff before implementing changes.

Please do not get me wrong. I just need someone to explain to me!

cheers and Merry Christmas etc
Due to the low price and standard hardware, the Pi makes for an easy recommendation for users who need a low-power/always-on backend server when paired with a USB tuner. While the easiest ways to install PVR servers that can run on the Pi are using OpenELEC, it should be easy to find/create a distro that a user can just go and write to an SD card, slap it in, slap in the USB tuner, and go, just as one would for some of the ready-to-go hardware PVR backends, like the Njoy. In other words, the Pi wouldn't even need to be running XBMC at all.

At least that was my thinking on it. I'm sure it could be better explained, or moved to another page that says something like "need an alternative solution? try this", etc.
Thanks Ned Scott. Understand your thinking here now. I do not think it is quite clear but really appreciate all the work you are doing on this. I guess a 'limitations' info about the Pi may help? For instance as a PVR server I don't think a Pi could handle 6 x USB TV Cards plugged into it running at one time?

Fully appreciate that this PVR stuff is very new to xbmc, but already exciting the PVR community!

cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finding it hard to navigate forum wiki talk1