AirPlay video quality
(2013-07-08, 00:51)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-07-07, 22:05)Memphiz Wrote: *reading in the background until something to grasp comes up*

Aye aye. I was just letting Ghostdivision know that he wasn't forgotten Smile

I'll have logs and more in a bit. Though, I get the feeling it's going to be something like YouTube doing something stupid. Ever since their official app, YouTube has been a pain in the ass in general. I really hate their iOS app.

(2013-07-07, 23:19)Ghostdivision Wrote: Just so i am clear it did airplay HD with youtube app but on the ipad? I am looking at an ipad mini. Is it possibly an iphone thing? Unless I am reading it correctly hd airplay'd with the youtube app fine on the ipad, but was airplaying SD on the iphone?

It would do HD on both, but I suspect the lack of the "quality" button might be a factor. A 3rd party YouTube app had issues when though, and it didn't before, so it could also be YouTube messing with stuff on their end. These are all guesses at this point. I'll see what I can find out with some better staged tests.

Yea I suppose it could be youtube.

I would blame the app but it also did not work in safari. I dont have a jailbroken iphone so people suggested an app called jasmine you can select the playback resoltuion, just my luck on the latest version appears to hang if you ever select 720p or 1080p. But I cant get it to airplay in safari in hd with HQ selected either...

I dont know if these logs will help.

This first is an HD file thats airplaying as standard definition in 480 quality or worse.

http://pastebin.com/jXNPTifJ

The second is an hd file that will airplay in 1080p.

http://pastebin.com/kcmNDTtt

Both of these are from the official youtube app.

This probably wont help solve anything but in my log the HD file airplaying in SD is showing this line

12:43:39 T:4620 NOTICE: fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 640, pheight: 360, dwidth: 640, dheight: 360

And the one airplaying in 1080p is showing this

12:59:46 T:4160 NOTICE: fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 1920, pheight: 1080, dwidth: 1920, dheight: 1080
Yeah no m3u8 but 2 different sorts of youtube urls ... no clue why those are different...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Have any of you guys actually done any network sniffing to see what is going on?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Network sniffing might be outside my boundaries as a very general computer user of xbmc, but what would that entail?

Will be interesting if ned gets a chance to try to airplay the same videos on his atv 2 if atv airplays the same videos in SD like xbmc is. If that is the case i dont think there is anything that could be done, but I am guessing it will airplay in hd.

I am also noticing not many m3u8 file types being reported by xbmc as i browse and test random videos.

Every video I do test that is m3u8 will airplay in 1080p however, just did one now, but they seem extremely rare on youtube right now in my testing.
(2013-07-09, 12:51)Memphiz Wrote: Yeah no m3u8 but 2 different sorts of youtube urls ... no clue why those are different...

Forgive me if i am misunderstanding but I did see this in the paste bin log for the file that did airplay in 1080p above.

index.m3u8?dnc=1&cpn=G8Qgn1n6JRmjPzAp&ibw=701401|User-

Every file that wont airplay in HD seems to be lacking that index.m3u8 so far in my limited testing.
ops didn't scroll to the right. Well m3u8 basically contains stream/bandwidth combinations from which xbmc can select based on bandwidth limit ... without that "list" xbmc is not able to know the different stream urls. The question is why youtube sometimes sends m3u8 lists and sometimes direct stream urls...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Does this make it impossible then for xbmc to be able to select better quality streams?

In my limited testing i am rarely coming across videos with that m3u8 url in it sadly.
Looks that way. I'm seeing the same thing in my logs. XBMC can't switch to a higher quality stream without knowing what that higher quality URL is.
Just curious ned if you were able to try the native atv 2 outside xbmc to see if its selecting the highest quality airplay stream?

If it is i wonder how its doing it.

I was trying to investigate how youtube works, and it led me to a youtube developer area where I thought I might ask given the information on here, but I was a bit hesitant as I felt out of my element. It was under ask an API question.

Memphiz mentioned HLS last page, i dont really know what that is, but its coming up alot for youtube in how it handles streaming videos.

I dont know if this link helps, again im out of my element.

http://piased.blogspot.ca/2013/01/youtub...s-for.html
HLS is http live streaming. It is a technology that allows streaming via http://

It involves a list of streams in an m3u8 file which specifies a number of streams and their bandwidths. There is a process of negotiation where the best stream for your bandwidth is chosen. Or at least that's how it SHOULD work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If it works on ATV2 it somehow might have an mechanism to get the m3u8 when it receives a direct stream url (where XBMC would just play that direct stream url). The question is - how does it get the m3u8 - a wireshark network trace would maybe show something - maybe not ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AirPlay video quality0