Feedback wanted on default behaviour for remote buttons
It seems like the default small skip/large skip direction pad behavior is vestigial from XBMC's XBOX roots, where this was a logical use of the analog pad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any consumer electronic device where the arrow pad is used this way. Up/Down working as they do only makes sense because there is nothing else for them to do in most current full screen video views.

Like others, I'm a long term XBMC user, and I've gotten used to this behavior on my Harmony and come to expect it. However, I've never seen anyone else intuitively use my remote this way, and (even after years with XBMC) my wife still uses the Fast Forward/Rew keys to move forward and backwards in the stream. I doubt many users find this functionality right away.

Most PVRs I've used use Up/Down to bring up a navigation mode, where the user can browse what is on other channels without bringing up a full screen guide. If you want the PVR functionality to be intuitive to users familiar with other PVRs, this is probably the best way to implement it. If, instead, you want it to be intuitive to the smaller number of users with a long history with XBMC, I would move keep the skip functionality and map channel browsing to Channel Up/Channel Down.

Quote:Most PVRs I've used use Up/Down to bring up a navigation mode, where the user can browse what is on other channels without bringing up a full screen guide.

I have been selling PVRs since the move to digital when they first came out. The point about existing PVRs allowing users to 'surf' a mini EPG (banner at the bottom of the screen) is a very good one. As it has been suggested, it would seem more beneficial for users who are already accustomed to PVRs to use this existing PVR architecture.

On most PVRs, the user can, of course, just bring up the full EPG to 'surf' and select from there as well.

I´ve configured skip next and previous tracks as "small skip" -buttons for my Humax PVR on Harmony remote. It´s very handy when jumping over commercials etc. I don´t know why this wouldn´t work also in XBMC? You don´t have any use for skip -buttons when watching TV anyway?
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
I used to have my skips setup to 30 seconds foward and 8 seconds back. Perfect for correcting that "oops, I skipped too far but I don't need to go a full 30 seconds in reverse". I need to dig out my config files and find that again.

You know, maybe I should start a thread where we can post our PVR related keybord/remote.xml files. I heard someone got the record button working while watching LiveTV.
I would prefer this:

UP = Bring up channellist and select previous channel in the list, other presses will go up in the list, eg from channel 9 to 8
DOWN = Bring up channellist and select next channel in the list, other presses will go down in the list, eg from channel 9 to 10
LEFT = Change channel group while in channellist
RIGHT = Change channel group while in channellist

(NOT 100% sure on this one)
LEFT = Display OSD from previous channel and when pressing OK go to that channel, you can browse the channels without channellist open, multiple presses goes back in the channels
RIGHT = Display OSD from next channel and when pressing OK go to that channel, you can browse the channels without channellist open, multiple presses goes forward in the channels

CHAN + = Go directly to next channel
CHAN - = Go directly to previous channel

GUIDE = Show some sort of guide, full or mini, i prefer mini

1,4,7 = Skip back according to their values, eg 5sec, 60sec, 5min, but user definable
3,6,9 = Skip forward according to their values, eg 5sec, 60sec, 5min, but user definable

>> = Fast forward
<< = Rewind

>>| = Skip to next marker
|<< = Skip to previous marker
(2012-11-24, 11:33)ocram Wrote: UP = Bring up channellist and select previous channel in the list, other presses will go up in the list, eg from channel 9 to 8
DOWN = Bring up channellist and select next channel in the list, other presses will go down in the list, eg from channel 9 to 10
LEFT = Change channel group while in channellist
RIGHT = Change channel group while in channellist

(NOT 100% sure on this one)
LEFT = Display OSD from previous channel and when pressing OK go to that channel, you can browse the channels without channellist open, multiple presses goes back in the channels
RIGHT = Display OSD from next channel and when pressing OK go to that channel, you can browse the channels without channellist open, multiple presses goes forward in the channels

CHAN + = Go directly to next channel
CHAN - = Go directly to previous channel

GUIDE = Show some sort of guide, full or mini, i prefer mini

+1 on all of the above

(2012-11-24, 11:33)ocram Wrote: 1,4,7 = Skip back according to their values, eg 5sec, 60sec, 5min, but user definable
3,6,9 = Skip forward according to their values, eg 5sec, 60sec, 5min, but user definable

>> = Fast forward
<< = Rewind

>>| = Skip to next marker
|<< = Skip to previous marker

I'd prefer the Mediaportal style skipping/ff/rew proposed somewhere above.

/D
my vote is to keep it consistent with the rest of xbmc. I feel this is a must, having it different in some areas to other areas is just a user nightmare.

so
left/right = small skips (if doesnt support time shift, then dont do anything)
up/down = large skips (if doesnt support time shift, then dont do anything)
ok = bring up osd as standard

channel up down - change channel honouring the delay you can set, so can press channel up 5 times and after "configured delay" (i set mine to 2000ms) change channel
guide button - bring up the mini guide where you can use left/right to change channel groups.
My 2 cents :

- please keep the number buttons to change channel. By the way, the actual behavior is to valid a change of channel with number button by pressing enter/ok/select button. Is it possible to do it automatically ?
- for the rest as i dont use timeshift cant really say anything.

Bibi
I also just wanted to add to this thread - why is the programme info popup the default action on the EPG timeline? If I hit OK, I'm asking for action, and I'd think the default action would be play/switch, not programme info. We already have Menu/Info (and the latter also pops the programme info), so requiring an extra button press for switch is inconsistent with XBMC conventions.
(2012-12-08, 01:37)sPOiDar Wrote: I also just wanted to add to this thread - why is the programme info popup the default action on the EPG timeline? If I hit OK, I'm asking for action, and I'd think the default action would be play/switch, not programme info. We already have Menu/Info (and the latter also pops the programme info), so requiring an extra button press for switch is inconsistent with XBMC conventions.

Look here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1288264

I've just tested it, works fine with Frodo RC3
(2012-11-27, 05:02)reven Wrote: my vote is to keep it consistent with the rest of xbmc. I feel this is a must, having it different in some areas to other areas is just a user nightmare.

so
left/right = small skips (if doesnt support time shift, then dont do anything)
up/down = large skips (if doesnt support time shift, then dont do anything)
ok = bring up osd as standard

channel up down - change channel honouring the delay you can set, so can press channel up 5 times and after "configured delay" (i set mine to 2000ms) change channel
guide button - bring up the mini guide where you can use left/right to change channel groups.

That's also my opinion.

(Big)Step forward/reverse works in watching all kind of media's (dvd, avi, mpeg ..., recording), why not in live-tv? Not supporting it makes no sense for me
Kodi 18.6 @ openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 - Asus E35M1-I DELUXE | 8GB Ram | 240G 2.5" SSD
Kodi 20.2 on 1st Raspberry Pi B @ XBian | Kodi 20.2 on Raspberry Pi 3B+ @ XBian | Kodi 21a2 on Raspberry Pi4B @ XBian | Kodi 19.0 on SolidRun i.MX6 @ XBian
VDR 2.4.5 & Tvheadend4.3-1917 (for recording) on Cubieboard2 @ Debian Buster
I tried to set it up like a typical cable PVR remote. I know that isn't very practical for defaults given that a lot of xbmc remotes will not have the same amount of buttons. I use up/down to bring up the EPG timeline over the currently playing show. I would prefer a smaller version but the OSD guide is rather lacking currently. 'Back' also bring up the same timeline since I ALWAYS start watching TV from the EPG timeline so in my case it makes sense. Right brings up the OSD channel list. since it shows up on the right side of the screen I figured this made sense. I use Aeon-Nox so I'm not sure if that is skin specific. I also have dedicated skip buttons for timeshift.

Also, am I missing something or is there currently no way to map anything to the "previous channel" (not one channel down but last watched channel)? For example: I'm watching a show on ABC and during commercials I switch to ESPN. This is something that really holds back the WAF if you ask me. After remapping a lot of the stuff in this is the only thing I still get complaints about.

I would think my case isn't that atypical but I guess the defaults need to be tailored to the lowest common denominator. I guess my vote for defaults would just be to keep it as consistent with the rest of xbmc as possible. The best part is that with the ability to remap everything to exactly how you see fit it can be whatever the end user thinks is best.
I hope I'm not too late on this topic, but I've been using the MythTV PVR plugin (in the Gotham build), and it would be great if by default the "Commercial Skip" feature was linked to the >>| (skip plus) button. (I mapped this by hand - but I didn't do it correctly, because it only worked when no transport controls were being displayed).

Here are the changes I made on a RaspberryPI:
Code:
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

containing the following:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <remote>
       <!-- support commercial skip via skip and replay buttons on remote -->
       <skipplus>nextscene</skipplus>
       <skipminus>previousscene</skipminus>
    </remote>
  </global>
</keymap>
I think its too late as the PR has been merged, but I feel that the direction buttons should be inline with the rest of xbmc's video controls. I like the idea of CH+/- bringing up a small osd and being able to scroll through a channel listing using the same buttons - it would help with back ends with slow channel changes. Anyway, its easy enough to configure how you would like it.

(2013-07-14, 09:32)bhamail Wrote: I hope I'm not too late on this topic, but I've been using the MythTV PVR plugin (in the Gotham build), and it would be great if by default the "Commercial Skip" feature was linked to the >>| (skip plus) button. (I mapped this by hand - but I didn't do it correctly, because it only worked when no transport controls were being displayed).

Here are the changes I made on a RaspberryPI:
Code:
/storage/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

containing the following:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <remote>
       <!-- support commercial skip via skip and replay buttons on remote -->
       <skipplus>nextscene</skipplus>
       <skipminus>previousscene</skipminus>
    </remote>
  </global>
</keymap>

Nice, i didnt know this was possible. To have it work with the osd you may need to map next/previousscene under the videoosd tag.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feedback wanted on default behaviour for remote buttons1