Win Frodo beta 1
For anyone with video and or audio playback problems. Please provide your audio settings (Settings -> System -> Audio output) and a Debug log (wiki) from XBMC starting, starting playback of a file and then stopping it and closing XBMC.

After I first installed the Beta 1 on Windows 7 I didn't get any passthrough sound either (non-passthrough worked fine) and I changed my audio output from WASAPI to DirectSound and then it worked. After watching a movie I changed back to WASAPI and then it worked as well. Maybe you can try that (please AFTER providing the Debug log (wiki) in case this solves your problem).
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Further to the above, for anyone using ATI/AMD graphics for your HDMI out then use the AMD High Definition Audio drivers, do not use the Realtek HD Audio drivers as they do not work with Frodo.
(2012-11-17, 09:47)Mati24 Wrote: How you do that ? I don't understand

Videos --> Files --> Press 'C' and select 'Set Content' --> Select 'None' and push OK --> Allow XBMC to remove the items from library and wait for it to finish --> Set the content to whatever it was before
(2012-11-16, 20:58)gmc99 Wrote: Exactly the same jerky and stuttering video for me. Playback of all files affected. These were mkvs and worked fine yesterday in previous version of xbmc. They were also fine in vlc today too.

Sorry but I also reinstalled over the top and previous version is working fine.

Video card is ATI Radeon HD5450. Window 7 64 bit.

If you want me to reinstall Frodo and try again and let you have a copy of the log please let me know but I won't be able to do so until Monday.

I reinstalled Frodo and played a video with the same result; ie jerky video and no sound

Windows 7 64 bit
ATI Radeon HD 5450

XBMC Settings
Render auto detect
Allow hardware acceleration DXVA on
Adjust display refresh rate off
Sync playback to display off
Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars none
Display 4:3 Normal

System video
Display mode full screen #1
Resolution 1920x1080p
Use a full screen window rather than true full screen off
Vertical blank sync always enabled

Audio output optical.coax
Speaker configuration 5.0
Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver on
DTS capable receiver on

The debug log is at: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=14874

Although I will be switching back to the old version of XBMC, if there is anything else you want me to do, I can easily switch back.

Looking at the log I see at least two problems:
  1. XBMC doesn't find the audio output that is stored in the settings file from Eden (probably because AE handles this differently, I don't know, will have to ask someone else) and therefore can't initialize the output.
  2. When starting to play a video initialization of WASAPI in exclusive mode fails. Please try to set the audio output to DirectSound and report back if audio works or not and if video is still jerky or not.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I reset the sound to Directsound for passthrough as requested.

Audio now works fine and video playback is also working without any jerking.
So there's either something wrong with how you have configured your passthrough settings (i.e. your receiver does not support AC3 and/or DTS) or your driver has a problem with WASAPI. I'll see if I can get someone with more knowledge on this to look into it.
I must confess audio settings confuse me no end.

My amplifier does support both AC3 and DTS.

I don't know if it matters but I use HDMI for video only and and optical cable for the audio to my amp.
(2012-11-18, 16:08)gmc99 Wrote: I must confess audio settings confuse me no end.

My amplifier does support both AC3 and DTS.

I don't know if it matters but I use HDMI for video only and and optical cable for the audio to my amp.

Any reason why - seems a more rounded solution to allow HDMI to do both?
I wish I could but my amp doesn't have HDMI inputs only optical.
(2012-11-18, 15:53)gmc99 Wrote: Thanks for your suggestion.

I reset the sound to Directsound for passthrough as requested.

Audio now works fine and video playback is also working without any jerking.
It could be that sound is not correctly configured in Windows, see Post #3 on how the Windows setting should look like http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1202209

It could the two Exclusive Mode boxes are not ticked.

Have a look through and if you have to change anything in Windows give WASAPI another go.

I have had a look at my settings from the linked item.

As I dont use HDMI for audio, I have looked at the SPDIF setting though rather than HDMI.

I looked in there and the supported formats shown are DTS audio and Dolby Digital which are both ticked. Microsoft WMA pro audio is not ticked.

In the advanced property, allow applications to take exclusive control, give exclusive mode applications priority and enable audio enhancements are all ticked.

I therefore haven't had to change anything unless you can think of something I have missed.
It's a long shot, try closing XBMC then go into you Userdata folder look for guisettings.xml and rename it to something like guisettings-old.xml, launch XBMC again and a new guisettings.xml will be created.

Doing this will default all the Settings unfortunately but will prove whether something was not right with the old file, once you've checked out the audio either re-enter all settings, or delete the new guisettings.xml and then rename guisettings-old.xml back to guisetting.xml to restore all settings.
Just thought, something else maybe worth trying first.

Set passthrough back to WASAPI then make sure all capable receiver items (Dolby Digital, DTS...etc) are not selected so XBMC is doing the decoding. If you have success with that then enable them one at a time, note that as you're using SPDIF the Multichannel PCM, TrueHD and DTS-HD have to remain unselected.

Your long shot paid off.

I renamed the GUI file and started XBMC again.

I went into the audio output settings and had to change them to Optical/coax

I then had to change Audio output and pass through output to WASAPI SPDIF - SPDIF Interface (TX0)(VIA High...)

The sound works fine and the video is good too.
Great Big Grin Glad you've got it sorted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo beta 10