Advanced WOL
Hello,

I am using Frodo Beta 1 and mysql as my database. The mysql server is on a different computer from xbmc client. I want to wake up the computer from xbmc if this is possible. I have set my MAC and IP address and have added it to my favorites along with modifying the running script RunScript("script.advanced.wol",ActivateWindow(xbmc_video72),True) so according to the instructions. When I launch xbmc it goes non responsive at the xbmc logo and eventually I have to terminate the program. I have waited 3 min after I launched xbmc to terminate the program to be sure the mysql server would have a chance to be booted. When the mysql server is already running I get the default video ect. screen and the advanced WOL does load and attempt to start the already running system. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Michael
Hmm... not sure why you're launching Advanced WOL add-on from Favourites with a script. Can't you simply use the Advanced WOL add-on's built-in setting to send the WOL packet to your server upon XBMC startup?
(2012-11-15, 23:42)artrafael Wrote: Hmm... not sure why you're launching Advanced WOL add-on from Favorites with a script. Can't you simply use the Advanced WOL add-on's built-in setting to send the WOL packet to your server upon XBMC startup?

I was following the directions/example from herehttp://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ake_On_Lan

Quote:As an example, you could add the following entry to your favourites.xml:
"RunScript("script.advanced.wol",ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary),True)"

This would attempt to wake the remote computer configured in the "Advanced Wake On Lan"-Settings, wait until it is awake, and only then launch the XBMC-Video-Library.

Maybe I miss understood what I need to do.

I removed it from favorites and I still encounter the same problem.

Ty for your assistance.

(2012-11-15, 15:43)m1975Michael Wrote: RunScript("script.advanced.wol",ActivateWindow(xbmc_video72),True)
I don't believe xbmc_video72 is a valid XBMC window name (see here: Window_IDs (wiki)). You can check your debug log (wiki) to confirm if this is where the add-on is barfing.

Do you have any objection to waking up your server whenever XBMC starts? If not, the solution is much simpler. I assume you're already familiar with the Advanced WOL settings page since this is where you had entered the MAC address of your server. Click the Autostart tab on the settings page and you can select "Activate wake-on-launch" (and, if desired, "Activate wake-after-standby" as well as other options on that page). Once this setting is enabled, every time you start XBMC, the Advanced WOL add-on automatically sends a WOL packet to your server.

(2012-11-16, 02:50)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-11-15, 15:43)m1975Michael Wrote: RunScript("script.advanced.wol",ActivateWindow(xbmc_video72),True)
I don't believe xbmc_video72 is a valid XBMC window name (see here: Window_IDs (wiki)). You can check your debug log (wiki) to confirm if this is where the add-on is barfing.

Do you have any objection to waking up your server whenever XBMC starts? If not, the solution is much simpler. I assume you're already familiar with the Advanced WOL settings page since this is where you had entered the MAC address of your server. Click the Autostart tab on the settings page and you can select "Activate wake-on-launch" (and, if desired, "Activate wake-after-standby" as well as other options on that page). Once this setting is enabled, every time you start XBMC, the Advanced WOL add-on automatically sends a WOL packet to your server.

Actually that is exactly what I want. I have those settings already set but when I start XBMC it just hangs on the logo screen. I know it takes about 67 sec for the server to wake up with solar winds WOL utility. I wait about two minutes and then have to terminate XBMC as it is no longer responsive.

When the server is running it goes to the default video, music etc screen and I see the advanced WOL popup in lower right corner. The only think I can think of is that it is looking for the MySQL databases and since they can't be found that is why it is hanging.

I ran XBMC in debug mode while the server was turned off. I terminated XBMC because it hung. I found this error at the end of the log file.
Quote:ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music28 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.50.53' (10060))
I can see why it is hanging now. The music database name is xbmc_music30 not xbmc_music28. When I installed Frodo Beta 1 I deleted the existing databases so i had a fresh start.

Yes, looking in the debug log is usually the best bet as far as eliminating the guesswork on the root cause of a problem. Glad you got it sorted.
(2012-11-16, 07:04)artrafael Wrote: Yes, looking in the debug log is usually the best bet as far as eliminating the guesswork on the root cause of a problem. Glad you got it sorted.

I'm not sure how to really solve the problem though. I do not know why it would be looking for a different database name. XBMC adds the number to the database. Also the WOL is still not working. I'm not sure when the add-ons load. It doesn't seam load until the main XBMC screen is displayed. If it doesn't load until it finds the database then the WOL will never be initialized. Thank you for your responses.

Michael
When XBMC is launched and the homepage displayed, you should see a notification pop up on the lower-right corner of your screen telling you a WOL packet has been sent and it will then count down the specified number of seconds to wait for the server to wake-up. If you don't see the pop-up, then you either didn't set it up to launch at XBMC startup or you had disabled the notification in the setting. You should also review all the available settings on each of the add-on's settings tabs, especially the timing and host-up check options; used appropriately, they help ensure your server is available before you proceed.

Have you tried launching the add-on manually (from the XBMC homepage: Programs > Advanced WOL) to see if that wakes up your server? I'm assuming you've already specified your server's MAC in the add-on settings? Have you tried to wakeup your server using some other tool to send a WOL packet? If WOL doesn't work in general, then you have bigger issues that are beyond the scope of the add-on and XBMC.
(2012-11-16, 11:18)artrafael Wrote: When XBMC is launched and the homepage displayed, you should see a notification pop up on the lower-right corner of your screen telling you a WOL packet has been sent and it will then count down the specified number of seconds to wait for the server to wake-up. If you don't see the pop-up, then you either didn't set it up to launch at XBMC startup or you had disabled the notification in the setting. You should also review all the available settings on each of the add-on's settings tabs, especially the timing and host-up check options; used appropriately, they help ensure your server is available before you proceed.

Have you tried launching the add-on manually (from the XBMC homepage: Programs > Advanced WOL) to see if that wakes up your server? I'm assuming you've already specified your server's MAC in the add-on settings? Have you tried to wakeup your server using some other tool to send a WOL packet? If WOL doesn't work in general, then you have bigger issues that are beyond the scope of the add-on and XBMC.

I know the WOL works as I can have used Solar Winds WakeOnLan utility to start the server. When the server is running and I start XBMC I do see the WOL load in the bottom right corner. When I manually run the add-on it also works. In the add-on settings under advanced I the Host-up Check is set to 120 seconds. The problem is when the server is turned off I never get to the homepage screen. XBMC goes non responsive at the XBMC logo before it ever gets to the homepage screen. That is where I am stuck. I found some new errors in the log file that might be helpful.

Quote:07:00:48 T:4372 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music30 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.50.53' (10060))
07:01:09 T:4372 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music29 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.50.53' (10060))
07:01:30 T:4372 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music28 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.50.53' (10060))

It appears to me that since XBMC can not find the databases (because the server is off) it doesn't get to the homepage and therefore the add-on does not load. The xbmc_music30 is the correct database name. XBMC appears to be trying different combinations of the database name to fine the database on the server.

Maybe this additional information will be helpful in solving this problem.[/code]
Ah, okay, I see what you mean now. Maybe you should use a startup script that is executed when you boot up your XBMC system. This script will issue the WOL packet to wakeup the server and perhaps pause a certainly number of seconds before launching XBMC. You will need to use a standalone WOL utility rather than the Advanced WOL add-on.

Not sure which OS you're running, but here are some examples for XBMCbuntu/Linux: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138387
(2012-11-16, 19:47)artrafael Wrote: Ah, okay, I see what you mean now. Maybe you should use a startup script that is executed when you boot up your XBMC system. This script will issue the WOL packet to wakeup the server and perhaps pause a certainly number of seconds before launching XBMC. You will need to use a standalone WOL utility rather than the Advanced WOL add-on.

Not sure which OS you're running, but here are some examples for XBMCbuntu/Linux: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=138387

I am using windows. I know how to make simple batch files but have not worked with scripts.
(2012-11-16, 19:52)m1975Michael Wrote: I am using windows. I know how to make simple batch files but have not worked with scripts.

Same idea. You just want to run a job that sends a WOL packet, waits a bit and then launches XBMC. If you want to bootup your system directly to XBMC, you'd add this job to your autostart list. If you prefer launching XBMC manually from the Windows desktop, you can create a desktop shortcut to run this job.
BTW, this is veering away from the Advanced WOL add-on, so you may want to take this discussion over to the Windows Support subforum.
(2012-11-16, 20:33)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-11-16, 19:52)m1975Michael Wrote: I am using windows. I know how to make simple batch files but have not worked with scripts.

Same idea. You just want to run a job that sends a WOL packet, waits a bit and then launches XBMC. If you want to bootup your system directly to XBMC, you'd add this job to your autostart list. If you prefer launching XBMC manually from the Windows desktop, you can create a desktop shortcut to run this job.
BTW, this is veering away from the Advanced WOL add-on, so you may want to take this discussion over to the Windows Support subforum.

I want to thank you for taking your time to assist me in this problem. Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced WOL0