No audio and video stutter DTS-MA
(2012-11-22, 10:54)steelman1991 Wrote: You might also want to try the suggestion by Thrak here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145917 post #4. I know its for 'stuttering' issues, but it might just free up the problem - long shot I know, but might be worth a try. Other alternative is to switch to 'Direct Sound' see what happens, and if it works switch back to WASAPI.
That would be my next 2 suggestions as well.

The fact Windows sees DTS-HD and all the other formats rules out EDID in my mind.

Seen the guisettings.xml cause strange things related to audio so certainly worth a try, and WASAPI can get stuck in a strange states so again toggling between Directsound & WASAPI may cause something to re-initialise.

Would be inclined not to rule anything out jjd - particularly where Onkyo's are concerned Wink, but your right that the recognition of the supported formats should rule out EDID issues.
Ok, I've tried:

-Toggling DirectSound and WASAPI
-Deleting the guisettings.xml
-Changing the HDMI cable

Switching to DirectSound made it even worse; regular DTS files gave the same problem, switching to WASAPI solved the problem for regular DTS files again. Toggling during playing a file resulted in a hanging XMBC, but this is not that strange I guess?
I've reinstalled my pc less then a month ago, and only tried the frodo alpha's and now the first beta, that's the version I am currently testing. (beta 1 repacked)
Not sure about displaying my output sound, windows states only AMD HDMI sound and not the name of my receiver, dont know how to fix this or if it is even possible?
Not tried the EDID override jet, I hope I can give this a try tomorrow or is this not applicable any more?

Is there something else I can try to fix this or get more debug information? it sound assumable that XBMC doesn't seems to recognize my receiver/windows capabilities, but i there some way the I can verify this?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for this thread, you helped me out too.

In my case the Nvidia HDaudio (part of their driver) did not installed for some reasons, so the audio was a generic microsoft windows 8 driver and it was not listing DTS-MA.

After re-installing the drivers (including the audio drivers), it listed DTS-MA properly and video started to play smoothly.

Thanks! (This should be sticky or in a guide that is sticky) Smile
(2012-11-23, 01:15)jasper_online Wrote: Ok, I've tried:

-Toggling DirectSound and WASAPI
-Deleting the guisettings.xml
-Changing the HDMI cable

Switching to DirectSound made it even worse; regular DTS files gave the same problem, switching to WASAPI solved the problem for regular DTS files again. Toggling during playing a file resulted in a hanging XMBC, but this is not that strange I guess?
I've reinstalled my pc less then a month ago, and only tried the frodo alpha's and now the first beta, that's the version I am currently testing. (beta 1 repacked)
Not sure about displaying my output sound, windows states only AMD HDMI sound and not the name of my receiver, dont know how to fix this or if it is even possible?
Not tried the EDID override jet, I hope I can give this a try tomorrow or is this not applicable any more?

Is there something else I can try to fix this or get more debug information? it sound assumable that XBMC doesn't seems to recognize my receiver/windows capabilities, but i there some way the I can verify this?

Thanks in advance!

Why not - on the basis that you've tried everything else, I would suggest that you have nothing to lose with the EDID override (Onkyo amps were particularly susceptible to EDID issues at one time - though I had an 805 with no issues). Other possible is a complete uninstall, re-install of xbmc - back up your library first (either to the individual movie/tv folders or 1 file - System\Settings\Video).
(2012-11-23, 01:15)jasper_online Wrote: Is there something else I can try to fix this or get more debug information? it sound assumable that XBMC doesn't seems to recognize my receiver/windows capabilities, but i there some way the I can verify this?

Thanks in advance!
I've never seen it before where Windows reports a supported format but XBMC doesn't, as they should be seeing the same info from the audio driver.

My last throw of the dice would be the possibility of something on the receiver causing something XBMC doesn't like.

On your Onkyo in "Hardware Setup -HDMI" do you have:

Audio TV Out - Off
HDMI Control (RIHD) - Off
Power Control - Off
TV Control - Off

This is basically all the intelligent HDMI stuff that may cause handshaking issues, if setting all of those off doesn't do anything then look into EDID override, although I don't believe it to be this, if still no change after all that then I'm stumped.

If there any developer is passing by could you take a look at Jaspers log provided in Post #16 http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145277&page=2

Nor have I jjd - but it isn't going to cost the OP anything to try on the basis that he's exhausted all other avenues.
Ok, this seems unbelievable but I've got it working!!

yesterday I've reinstalled my AMD driver complete, just before reboot I uninstalled my drivers through device manager. After reboot windows gives a pop op which stated new detected hardware, a few moments later my desktop was ready again. When I went to device manager the default driver installed for HD sound wasn't AMD but realtek:o. Some weeks ago I've tried the realtek drivers as possible solution to fix my problem but even though I uninstalled the driver through device manager the software still seems to be on my pc.
After a quick search I've found the uninstaller and uninstalled the realtek drivers. A reboot later XBMC is working!

The supported codec tab at sound properties now gives me a extra sample rate of 192kbp/s just as yours. Maybe this could be a indicator to check if someone has corrected installed his drivers?
This topic seems to be very interesting for other which aren't able to get this working either, maybe some information could be updated in the AE wiki? It would be not a problem for me to contribute on that if possible.

Thanks for all your help steelman and jjd!!
Brilliant, glad you got it sorted & as I always suspected it turned out to be a driver issue, so I'm also glad that I'm going mad Smile
(2012-11-24, 11:28)jasper_online Wrote: Ok, this seems unbelievable but I've got it working!!

yesterday I've reinstalled my AMD driver complete, just before reboot I uninstalled my drivers through device manager. After reboot windows gives a pop op which stated new detected hardware, a few moments later my desktop was ready again. When I went to device manager the default driver installed for HD sound wasn't AMD but realtek:o. Some weeks ago I've tried the realtek drivers as possible solution to fix my problem but even though I uninstalled the driver through device manager the software still seems to be on my pc.
After a quick search I've found the uninstaller and uninstalled the realtek drivers. A reboot later XBMC is working!

The supported codec tab at sound properties now gives me a extra sample rate of 192kbp/s just as yours. Maybe this could be a indicator to check if someone has corrected installed his drivers?
This topic seems to be very interesting for other which aren't able to get this working either, maybe some information could be updated in the AE wiki? It would be not a problem for me to contribute on that if possible.

Thanks for all your help steelman and jjd!!

What driver did you use can you point me in that direction?
Sorry if my English is not quite right, it 's not my native language
Got latest OSMC running on Vero 4K+
Johan J:

AMD Catalyst 12.10

(2012-11-24, 16:53)jjd-uk Wrote: Brilliant, glad you got it sorted & as I always suspected it turned out to be a driver issue, so I'm also glad that I'm going mad Smile

NiceBig Grin
That should have been "not going mad" really should proof read more, lol Smile
Glad you got it to work Jasper.

Was that a 'Freudian' slip jjd lol,
Hello, I'm setting up a HTPC using XBMC and have the stuttering video and no audio issue with DTS-MA. I've read through this thread along with others and tried several things but still have not found a fix. Other DTS audio formats work correctly. My issue seems very similar to user "jasper_online" who's problem runs on pg. 3 and 4 of this thread.

Here's a rundown of my system -

Vista Ultimate (service pack 2)
Geforce 210 using HDMI out
HDMI into Marantz AV7005 pre-amp which has DTS-MA capability
XBMC Eden 11 + HD (tried Frodo as well but found it to have stability issues on my system)

Things I've checked/tried -

1. HDMI settings on Preamp (HDMI control set to "off" etc.)
2. Fullscreen mode in XBMC (tried both options)
3. Checked sound properties in control panel - I notice that DTS Audio is a listed supported format, however, when I try to generate a test tone using this format I get a error that it is not available/functioning correctly. The test tone works for Dolby Digital.
4. Switching between Direct sound and WASAPI.
5. Checked to make sure direct mode is enabled.
6. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Nvidia driver with no change.
7. Sound driver is Nvidia not Microsoft.

Other things to note -

1. I have a sound card installed that uses Envy 24 HF sound drivers. Not sure if this would cause any issues.
2. No Realtek drivers have ever been installed on this machine.
3. I ran debug and the following errors came up (I plan on posting the whole debug once I read through the formating/posting rules)-

ERROR: CWin32WASAPI::Initialize: Audio format not supported by the WASAPI device. Channels: 8, Rate: 192000, Bits/sample: 16.
ERROR: CWin32WASAPI::Initialize: WASAPI initialization failed.

4. I have relatively limited supported formats and sample rates in sound properties compared to others I have seen on this and other threads.

Here's what I have available -
DTS Audio
Dolby Digital
Microsoft WMA Pro Audio
44.1 KHz
48.0 KHz
96.0 KHz

Things I'm aware of I haven't tried -

1. EDID fix. Not sure if this fix applies to my issue so looking for some advice/help before trying EDID.

Anyway, tried to be thorough but sure I left something out. Thanks for assistance on this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio and video stutter DTS-MA0