How to move mySQL setup from Eden to Frodo?
Currently I have:

- Database on mySQL server
- Mainly use my linux HTPC - that's what I use to scan stuff, so all the fanart/thumbnails are on there
- A couple of Macs that can access the mySQL library, but are missing artwork and such
- I never synced the art, because I wanted it on my HTPC's SSD, not slowly pulling it over the netwrok

I've been excited for Frodo's new art syncing capabilities, but what do I do to set it up? When I scan a movie on my HTPC, will the artwork automagically show up on the other computers?
Is there anything I need to do to migrate, other than just installing the Frodo beta on all my boxes?
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
If you don't have path substitution for art then just install Frodo and the database will update. If you're currently using path substitution for artwork then delete the substitutions from advancedsettings.xml first.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
I have same type setup using mysql on a synology NAS unit. I just installed the Frodo beta 1 on my mac mini, and I went into the advancesettings.xml file and deleted the pathsubstitution fields in that file, and it did a scan the first time pretty quickly of my files but when I got to my TV shows the banners and fanart are not showing up, and Movies the movie posters and fanart are not showing up there either. I am not sure if I should do something else, to fix the artwork issue. Thanks.
You have to be a little careful in just killing your art off arbitrarily, particularly if it was a long time ago that you scraped, and you don't have local art.

If you have local art + nfo files, then the easiest thing to do is to just rescan (set content to none, say yes to clean it out, set content back to movies/videos and say yes to scan).

If you don't have local art or nfo files, then I would suggest:

1. Update a single client. If you go to Videos, it'll prompt for rescan of art. Wait for it to do it's think (should only be a minute or so).
2. Copy your pathsubstituted thumbnails folder onto all clients. You can get rid of the video/ and music/ subdirectories if you want.
3. Remove path substitution. Everything should still work for that client.
4. Update the rest of the clients, and copy across the Textures13.db and thumbnails folders onto them.

Reason on being careful is that the URLs stored in your database may no longer be live, thus, we want to preserve your local art during the transition.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-11-16, 03:18)jmarshall Wrote: You have to be a little careful in just killing your art off arbitrarily, particularly if it was a long time ago that you scraped, and you don't have local art.

If you have local art + nfo files, then the easiest thing to do is to just rescan (set content to none, say yes to clean it out, set content back to movies/videos and say yes to scan).

1. Update a single client. If you go to Videos, it'll prompt for rescan of art. Wait for it to do it's think (should only be a minute or so).
2. Copy your pathsubstituted thumbnails folder onto all clients. You can get rid of the video/ and music/ subdirectories if you want.
4. Update the rest of the clients, and copy across the Textures13.db and thumbnails folders onto them.

Reason on being careful is that the URLs stored in your database may no longer be live, thus, we want to preserve your local art during the transition.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the tip.. I was also having the problem of no movie/TV posters showing up after the upgrade from Eden to Frodo (with a MySQL library).

I do have nfos and local art in each movie/tv directory so I was able to just do the forced rescan by setting content to None, then back to Movies/TV, and re-adding everything to the library.

Saved me a lot of time, thanks!

so I guess the message is to do an "export to separate files" on the video library before upgrading from eden to frodo.

Is there anything similar required for the music library?
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
(2012-11-16, 03:18)jmarshall Wrote: You have to be a little careful in just killing your art off arbitrarily, particularly if it was a long time ago that you scraped, and you don't have local art.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thank you for the instructions on fixing this. Can anyone tell me if doing this will reset the played count for my movies? Watched tag as well? The WAF is important and she would kill me if these were reset or changed in anyway.

Cheers,

Mych
Neither method invalidates watched status.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

should the watched status be pulled from the nfo? I have set Advancedsettings to import the watched status but I get none. I am using MYSQL - could this be the difference?
If you are simply doing an upgrade, the watched status is stored within the database (doesn't matter if it's MySQL or not) and should be reflected in the new database after upgrade.

The watched status will only be in the nfo if you have manually updated them or exported your library to separate files.

If you want to do a clean new install, you need to export your library to separate files, install the latest XBMC, be sure you have advancedsettings.xml in place with the <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate> tag, then import your (previously exported) library.
So I have a question, What happens if i leave pathsubstitution in the advancedsettings after i upgrade from eden to frodo?
And do i really have to Copy the entire pathsubstituted thumbnails folder onto all clients?
i was using path substitution as a way of keeping the HDD space available (or space used by xbmc) on my other light weight xbmc boxes to a minimum by allowing the streaming of the thumbnails. My main HTPC where my path substitution led to has 4.5gb of images. and currently my other boxes thumbnials are zero and have limited storage space, ie running of a thumb drive openelec and my windows boxes and my iphone. Can anyone shed light on this? or am i not misunderstanding the instructions?
Thanks in advance!
You can continue to use pathsubs for thumbs to save HDD space. XBMC devices might each try to re-download the image even though it's already there, but that shouldn't actually hurt anything. To prevent this from happening for your initial update, I would update one XBMC device like normal, keeping the pathsubs for thumbs, letting it update the artwork when it asks, and then copy the Textures13.db to each XBMC device (the textures db tells XBMC if it needs to download an image or not, among other things). Either way, the thumbs will still be saved to the remote pathsubb'ed location.
That is what i figured ( about leaving the path sub in) but one last question. After the first update, then moving of the Textures13.db to each XBMC device. How then do the textures13.db stay syncd? via mysql? follow me if you wil...
hypothetically, Frodo update on all xbmcs complete. main htpc downloads new movie/ tv shows info(scrapes artwork and nfo's etc..), it updates/downloads the art work to thumbnails folder and the textures13.db (on main pc). updates the video database in mysql ( now the main htc is all up to date).
Now say other htpcs xbmc instances are in sleep/stand by mode. Once woken up it reconnects to the mysql database and notices new movies, ( Eden path sub would then display the images accordingly) , How then in Frodo does the other xbmc htpc know where the files are since the textures13.db was updated when they were off? is this done in mysql ( dont think so)? or what happens then if an xbmc instances is sleeping/standy ? thanks for clarifying i just want to make sure i understand what and how the texutres.db and mysql and path sub now work together or not.
They won't know. They'll re-download the thumbnails again for each "client", overwriting the existing (but identical) images. It really won't have any major impact for updates. Think of it just like a web browser refreshing a page, and that's probably more data than the thumbs/art. If you only plan on doing library updates from one machine then you could make the thumbnail share read-only (well, read only for those additional clients). XBMC will have some errors in debug logs about it, but it won't actually hurt anything, I think.
Gotcha! that makes sense and that is what i thought would happen. hmmm is there any way u know to share/mirror the textures13.db ?
is it possible to share it in mysql?
or what about pathsubstitute jsut a single file ie. the textures file and not the whole database folder?
would either work?

I know i could always use Sync toy or Belvedere and have them check periodically for difference and copy from the main over to the other xbmcs but i would like to try and do it all via xbmc first

Your thoguhts? You have been very helpful!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to move mySQL setup from Eden to Frodo?0