• 11(current)
Linux Almost solved: PROPER Dual Audio on Linux
No, no weirdness with this configuration.

Yours encoutered weirdness may be due to CPU lack: on Acer revo there is an Atom 330 dual core CPU @ 1.60GHz.

Here the new version:
- Fix: the LFE (subwoofer) were not correctly forwarded on analog stereo output.
- DBII values have been reviewed with last reverse ingeenering values.

Code:
# Title: ACER Revo 3610 alsa configuration
# Author: stopdatrue
# Audio devices configuration:
# SPDIF(hw:0,1) connected to 5.1 Dolby Digital capable receiver.
# HDMI(hw:0,3) connected to 2.0(pcm) TV forwarding via SPDIF or Analog RCA to 5.1 Dolby Prologic II surround capable receiver.
# Analog(hw:0,0) connected to wireless stereo headphones.
#
# Note: - Dolby Prologic(not II) matrix is available on comment.
#       - Dolby Digital bitrate is set to 640Mbs, downgrade it to 448 if your receiver does not support.
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "all"
        channels 6
        }
}

pcm.all {
        type route
        slave {
                pcm "binds"
                channels 10
        }

# Keep 6 first channels unchanged for Dolby Digital output.
        ttable.0.0 1.0
        ttable.1.1 1.0
        ttable.2.2 1.0
        ttable.3.3 1.0
        ttable.4.4 1.0
        ttable.5.5 1.0

# Downmix using Dolby Prologic matrix on 2 channels (6,7)
    # ttable.0.6 1
        # ttable.1.7 1
        # ttable.2.6 0.707
        # ttable.2.7 -0.707
        # ttable.3.6 0.707
        # ttable.3.7 -0.707
        # ttable.4.6 0.707
        # ttable.4.7 0.707
        # ttable.5.6 0.707
        # ttable.5.7 0.707

# Downmix using Dolby Prologic II matrix on 2 channels (6,7)
    # ttable.0.6 1
        # ttable.1.7 1
        # ttable.2.6 0.866
        # ttable.2.7 -0.5
        # ttable.3.6 0.5
        # ttable.3.7 -0.866
        # ttable.4.6 0.707
        # ttable.4.7 0.707
        # ttable.5.6 0.707
        # ttable.5.7 0.707

# Downmix using Dolby Prologic II matrix on 2 channels (6,7)
    # Reviewed according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADolby_Pro_Logic
    ttable.0.6 1
        ttable.1.7 1
        ttable.2.6 0.872
        ttable.2.7 -0.490
        ttable.3.6 0.490
        ttable.3.7 -0.872
        ttable.4.6 0.707
        ttable.4.7 0.707
        ttable.5.6 0.707
        ttable.5.7 0.707

# Downmix on stereo without surround on 2 channels (8,9)
    ttable.0.8 1.0
        ttable.1.9 1.0
        ttable.2.8 0.5
        ttable.3.9 0.5
        ttable.4.8 0.707
        ttable.4.9 0.707
        ttable.5.8 0.707
        ttable.5.9 0.707
}

pcm.binds {
        type multi

slaves.digital {
        pcm "ac3"
                channels 6
        }

slaves.hdmi {
        pcm "hw:0,3"
                channels 2
        }

slaves.analog {
        pcm "hw:0,0"
                channels 2
        }

# Bind 6 first channels on digital(spdif) output
        bindings.0.slave digital
        bindings.0.channel 0
        bindings.1.slave digital
        bindings.1.channel 1
        bindings.2.slave digital
        bindings.2.channel 2
        bindings.3.slave digital
        bindings.3.channel 3
        bindings.4.slave digital
        bindings.4.channel 4
        bindings.5.slave digital
        bindings.5.channel 5

# Bind channels 6,7 on hdmi output
        bindings.6.slave hdmi
        bindings.6.channel 0
        bindings.7.slave hdmi
        bindings.7.channel 1

# Bind channels 8,9 on analog output
        bindings.8.slave analog
        bindings.8.channel 0
        bindings.9.slave analog
        bindings.9.channel 1
}

pcm.ac3 {
    # Process Dolby Digital encoding
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm {
            type a52
            # Some devices supports only bitrate <= 448
            # bitrate 448
            bitrate 640
            channels 6
            slavepcm "hw:0,1"
        }
        format S16_LE
        rate 48000
    }
}

And here my advancedsettings:

Code:
<audio>
        <resample>0</resample>
        <audiophile>1</audiophile>
        <audiosinkbufferdurationmsec>200</audiosinkbufferdurationmsec>
        <allowtranscode44100>0</allowtranscode44100>
        <streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
</audio>
If you dont need HD audio, you can now use pulseaudio for dual audio.

see PulseAudio (wiki) and look at combine sinks.
I just tried this with no luck. I'm assuming the advanced settings.XML file goes in the USERDATA folder which is present over samba? I do all config changes this way, much easier.

I do not get a "default" audio device. At the top of the audio output screen I have HDMI/optical/analog option. Near the bottom I have also just 3 options, analog/HDMI/spdif.

Not sure how I can check it's processing the two files. I have copied and pasted exactly as two posts ago.

BTW running 3.2.4 oe 64bit ion version.
Hi

I'm running OpenElec 3.2.4 Intel X64 (XBMC Frodo 12.2) on my HTPC in the living room, this is connected to a cheap Denon AVR-1513 via HDMI and a 5.1 speaker setup in the living room. There is no speaker A/B or Zone 2 on the AVR which limits its functionality.

I also have a pair of stereo speakers wired up in the kitchen in the next room, when I wired the house I also ran the speaker cable from the kitchen speakers back in to the living room A/V wall plates, in anticipation of eventually doing some kind of zone 2 setup for Music playback in both rooms.

Recently I've been trying to get SqueezeSlave or SqueezeLite working under OpenElec as a service, I got this working in terminal however I was unable to make XBMC and SqueezeLite SHARE the same HDMI audio output. Anyone know how to do that? Confused As I also had a Squeezebox in the kitchen my plan was to use the iPeng remote control app and sync the two "Squeezeboxes" in each of these rooms.

So I then saw this thread about dual audio setup and I followed the instructions in the first post and its working. When playing music or 2.0 track movies I have sound coming out of both the HDMI port to the Denon AVR in the living room, and also now sound coming out of the 3.5mm audio port, I've brought the Cambridge Audio stereo amp from the kitchen and wired this up in the living room instead, using the analogue 3.5mm output on the back of the HTPC. When I play music in XBMC, it is now in both rooms and perfectly in sync. Big Grin

When using Windows MCE previously and software squeezeboxes I was never able to get them to play in sync properly. And I believe you could never do a dual audio output like this in Windows.

Only downside is I now have two amps connected to the HTPC, one controls the volume in the living room and the other amp controls the volume in the kitchen, but I guess if I upgraded the AVR to one with a Speaker A and B function this would be the perfect solution for an XBMC 2 zone music setup for rooms next to each other.

When I play a movie with a 5.1 DTS or DD sound track there is no sound out of the 3.5mm analogue port on the HTPC as stated in the first post, but as I only want to use this for music playback its OK.

Overall I am very happy with this setup, if I discover any issues I will let you know..

One difference I have noticed however, previously when I played 2.0 track movies or even music, the AVR info would say either Dolby Pro-Logic-II or DTS NEO:6 depending on which audio setting the AVR was on.
Now when I play these 2.0 track movies the AVR always says Multi-Ch IN or I can change this to DIRECT. Not sure if this is going to affect how good movies with 2.0 tracks sound when now viewing them?

If I change the Audio Output Device in the XBMC settings from: Default (HDA INTEL PCH HDMI 1) back to (HDA INTEL PCH. DON DENON-AVAMP ON HDMI 1) which is what its normally set as, then the Dolby Pro-Logic-II or DTS NEO:6 returns. But then the audio stops outputting to the 3.5mm analogue port. So the "Audio Output Device" in XBMC must be set as the Default one for the dual audio to work it seems.

When I play a movie with a Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 track the AVR still lights up OK as Dolby Digital or DTS. However I still have the "Passthrough Output Device" in the XBMC settings set as: (HDA INTEL PCH. DON DENON-AVAMP ON HDMI 1)

Is a solution like this dual audio output likely to work on Gotham ?

Many Thanks

UPDATE: I've just improved my setup somewhat, I swapped the second amp in the living room, the Cambridge Audio A1 amp that has no remote control for a little Denon UD-M31 that does have IR. I then programmed my Logitech Harmony remote control to also use this Denon UD-M31 amp in the Listen to Music activity for XBMC. I programmed additional buttons on the remote controls LCD screen, so now when in the listen to music activity I can also control the Volume of the Denon UD-M31 aka the Kitchen room. Its still two different sets of volume controls for each room, but I can control both the Denon AVR and the Denon UD-M31 amp in the same activity.

Also as the Harmony is an 895 and has RF I can also control the volume whilst I'm stood in the kitchen room with the remote. I think this is the best setup I can achieve without a better AVR that has a Speaker A and B function.
I know nobody wants it - but I currently stream from my laptop watch a movie to my AMP in the living room via network and to my kitchen via wireless (don't want to miss a dialogue when fetching beer) just by using pulseaudio via the Gotham PA Sink.

Gotham won't have any kind of dual audio support, despite when using some external mechanisms, which is _not_ hacking ALSA broken.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-04-21, 17:19)fritsch Wrote: Gotham won't have any kind of dual audio support, despite when using some external mechanisms, which is _not_ hacking ALSA broken.

That doesn't sound good for Gotham then! Very happy I've just found this dual audio output solution and actually managed to get it working! If I am going to lose it when upgrading to Gotham I won't be a happy chappy.

Looks like I will need a newer AVR amp then. Something that can also send the HDMI audio signal to an additional speaker B channel, when that button is pressed, I am assuming some AVR's can do that?

Cheers
Load the combine module of pulseaudio and Analog, spdif, hdmi will all work together and even shared output devices via network. Even hdmi can be 5.1 channels while spdif is only 2 channels and analog again 5.1 depending on the set profile ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fritsch

So this Pulseaudio is a new thing in Gotham? I've not installed Gotham or even read much about it yet so please excuse my ignorance. Frodo has the AudioEngine.

So in Gotham using the combine module of Pulseaudio, it should be possible to have a similar setup to what I have just described above?

If its not too difficult to setup? That sounds like the solution for Gotham.

Many thanks.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PulseAudio
So XBMC using PulseAudio is aimed at Ubuntu desktop users and ALSA is used if PulseAudio is not installed.

So with OpenElec you can install and use PulseAudio rather than ALSA?

Thanks
Nope OpenELEC will by default only have ALSA for the time being. But PA is already packaged as it's nice to have for bluetooth headphone audio. In xbmc +1 a dsp addon interface will be integrated - so one can do with our aduio whatever one wants. One can add DSP modules, interact with jack, with other servers and so on ... so stay tuned.
OK thanks Fritsch. I wasn't planning on upgrading to Gotham until its final release and even then I'd do lots of testing first before changing my main HTPCs. Hopefully in the future this kind of dual audio output will be possible with OE and Gotham as its a very useful feature to have.

Cheers
It is possible only via PulseAudio (wiki) atm, or via this hack, shame that the better audio Device via alsa gets no sufficient love at all in this department.
Hi

There is a big difference between when the Denon AVR says Multi CH IN or Dolby Prologic II.

I just started watching a TV show that I downloaded, it has a 2.0 stereo audio track in it (that is what the media flag in XBMC says). When the XBMC Audio Output Device is set to "Default (HDA INTEL PCH HDMI 1)" the AVR says Multi CH IN. And only the two front Left/Right speakers have any sound. No Center speaker for example.

If I then change the XBMC Audio Output Device back to "(HDA INTEL PCH. DON DENON-AVAMP ON HDMI 1)" the AVR then says Dolby Prologic II and I hear sound on the front Left/Right and Center speaker. Also I can hear some sound on the rears so maybe the AVR is doing some virtual surround sound stuff as well with the 2.0 track.

Its seems I have lost nice sound on 2.0 track movies and TV shows when the system is setup to use the new "Default (HDA INTEL PCH HDMI 1)" audio device that this hack created.

Any suggestions? Other than switching between the two audio devices in the XBMC settings all the time.

Thanks

EDIT: If you do what is suggested in the first post and turn off Passthrough and uncheck DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD etc and just leave Multichannel LPCM enable and then if I play a Movie with a 5.1 audio track, whilst using the new Default audio output device, then that works OK I get sound on all channels as expected and the AVR says Multi CH IN etc But this config is not really any good for 2.0 track movies as you only get the front left/right speakers and lose the center speaker.

Can someone who knows what they are doing help me tweak the asound.conf file?

HDMI output to AVR for Movies/TV Shows some with 5.1 and some with 2.0 audio tracks in the files. Also HDMI output to AVR for music in Room1
3.5MM Analogue output to Stereo AMP for Music in Room 2 (2.0 stereo)
In short: not doable with that static alsa configuration as its force to 6 channels.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Almost solved: PROPER Dual Audio on Linux1