Win Import all info to new hard drive
Hi
I am changing my ASRock hard drive with a brand new SSD. The OS on the old drive is Windows 7 32bit

I will install the new SSD is with Win7 64 bit, so I can't just clone the old disk.

I would like to save all the XBMC library settings and import it to the new disk. Is it just straight forward using the export/import library, og is there anything else I should be aware of?
Will it keep the entire library, with my settings and watched/unwatched markings too? There is thousands of Movies and TV Shows, so I would VERY MUCH like this to go OK.
All help is appresiated Smile
Looks like you'll have to install a version of XBMC once you have your windows 64 operational. There's no copying program files directly over to the new drive and there's also the issue of drive letters (although your boot drive will still be C: the assignment & order of other drives will play havoc with paths inside XBMC). Then there's the matter of version of XBMC, as the library database has been changed and I doubt copying the 'roaming' folder would give you anything but grief. Then there's the matter of 'Watched list' you'll have to make an advancedsettings.xml with <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>

This is what I would do... (not to be taken as the gospel, I do funny stuff at times) hopefully if I've missed something, one of the mods with tart it up.

Before doing anything...settings>video>cleanup then export video to separate files (this will put your metadata and images into each folder) so if disaster befalls... a rescrape is local and quick. Export your libraries to a single file, do this for you Music as well, save to a place that makes sense... (portable drive?) The following is not official procedure... I copy the entire 'Roaming Directory' to a safe place..

Grab a piece of paper and write down the drive letters and order.

Do the hardware swap and new O/S install.... If you haven't made the conversion to Frodo Beta (it might be a consideration, but you'll need to re-scan, ~ 1 hour) so your back-ups would be a little moot. If it's the same version of XBMC (presumably Eden) and the drive letters are matching; Install Eden and import your library... If everything is not working out and the drive letters are the same... copy the Roaming directory into place. Should the drive letter not line up... a re-scan will be needed.

In all; a move up to Frodo is not a negative, and a re-scrape is mostly painless.. so I might do the above, but I'd recommend Frodo Beta.
OK, thanks. I will look into this later to see what I will do.
Guess there is no easy way to do this right Smile
Its quiet easy to change the Drive letters within windows if you need to,
Well, all the media files is on a NAS, so the File path will be exacly the same.
I hope to test this tomorrow, so I can report back.

I anyone else has any tims on the way, please let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Import all info to new hard drive0