• 7(current)
XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ
12.1 upgrade FAQ? Is there any FAQ on going 12.0 --> 12.1?

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
12.0 to 12.1 shouldn't really have any functional difference. We can put in the existing 12 FAQ that going to 12.1 is just a matter of installing 12.1 on top of 12. Maybe a link to github for the changes/fixes, too.
Today I found out about the new 12.1 version. I was running 12.0 XBMCBuntu version on my HTPC and therefore followed the ppa update instructions using ppa:team-xbmc/ppa, as mentioned on the front page.

Original instructions for the update to 12.1:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo ppa-purge -r ppa:whatever-ppa-you-have-now
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:whatever-ppa-here
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin

Connecting with SSH worked just fine, done that many times before.
The problem is with the second line of code "sudo ppa-purge...". Sudo reports there is no such instruction as ppa-purge.
As I assumed it might have been a leftover from older version, I decided to skip the step and proceed with the next.
All other instructions went fine, but when I now start my HTPC, it will login to xbmcbuntu and will not start xbmc anymore. It used to be that xbmc was started automatically after boot.
How can I fix this?
Just do this
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

What you had is for a different kind of upgrade where you need to remove source A insert Source B and upgrade which is not needed in this case.

uNi
Ok, I have executed the steps you mentioned and it appeared to work just fine.
The only problem now is that my xbmcbuntu machine by default starts with the desktop instead of xbmc. Something gets changed during the apt-get upgrade command which causes xbmc to be removed as default startup mode.
Any idea how I can fix this? I don't want to add a startup shortcut to the desktop, I just want xbmc to startup as default, and not the desktop.
This is not the thread for Support, but Ill answer it just this once (second time), You need to logout and login as XBMC not xbmcbuntu, lightdm will remember your last login and autologin that. (I dont use xbmcbuntu anyway but this is what is explained in various forum threads)

uNi
Trying to get to 12.1 from xbmcbuntu 12.0. During the sudo apt-get upgrade I get this:

rhtpc@lrhtpc:~$ sudo apt-get upgradesudo] password for lrhtpc:
eading package lists... Done
uilding dependency tree
eading state information... Done
he following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic linux-headers-generic-pae linux-image linux-image-generic linux-image-generic-pae
he following packages will be upgraded:
xbmc xbmc-bin
upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
0 not fully installed or removed.
eed to get 0 B/35.8 MB of archives.
fter this operation, 6,357 kB of additional disk space will be used.
o you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Reading database ... 498374 files and directories currently installed.)
reparing to replace xbmc 2:12.0~git20130128.1315-frodo-0oneiric (using .../xbmc_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_all.deb) ...
npacking replacement xbmc ...
pkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/changelog.txt', which is also in package xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts 1.6.19-0oneiric
pkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
reparing to replace xbmc-bin 2:12.0~git20130128.1315-frodo-0oneiric (using .../xbmc-bin_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_i386.deb) ...
npacking replacement xbmc-bin ...
pkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.hts/XBMC_Tvheadend.pvr', which is also in package xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts 1.6.19-0oneiric
pkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
rocessing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
rocessing triggers for man-db ...
rrors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_3%3a12.0-1~ppa1~oneiric_i386.deb
: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
rhtpc@lrhtpc:~$

This also happens during the sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin also, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Edit: I cut off the first column of the copy/paste, so that I messed up posting here.
(2013-03-22, 01:39)uNiversal Wrote: Just do this
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

What you had is for a different kind of upgrade where you need to remove source A insert Source B and upgrade which is not needed in this case.

uNi

After a complete wipe and install, and reading other threads shouldn't that be "xbmc xbmc-bin" instead of "xbmc.bin"? A - instead of a .?
(2013-03-21, 02:26)Ned Scott Wrote: 12.0 to 12.1 shouldn't really have any functional difference. We can put in the existing 12 FAQ that going to 12.1 is just a matter of installing 12.1 on top of 12. Maybe a link to github for the changes/fixes, too.

interesting reply Ned , im not that clever.. unlike some here.
will be keeping to v12
(2013-03-24, 13:41)kdoug Wrote:
(2013-03-21, 02:26)Ned Scott Wrote: 12.0 to 12.1 shouldn't really have any functional difference. We can put in the existing 12 FAQ that going to 12.1 is just a matter of installing 12.1 on top of 12. Maybe a link to github for the changes/fixes, too.

interesting reply Ned , im not that clever.. unlike some here.
will be keeping to v12

Not sure what you're getting at? I mean that there are no new features. The FAQ is more about what new features/changes there are for Frodo.
FYI

Make sure you mention that you do NOT install rPI xbmc (raspbmc) this way.

raspbmx is not a pkg and if you do that, you can cause a world of hurt
Install it in what way?
I am having difficulty upgrading to 12.1. Right now I am using 11.0. Tried entering the below commands in Putty, but I am getting stuck with interpretting certain lines in bold. When they say "whatever ppa you have now", how do I know what PPA I have currently? Any help appreciated. THanks!

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
[b]sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:whatever-ppa-you-have-now
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:whatever-ppa-here
[/b]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
You know what ppa you have by looking at /etc/apt/sources.d/ or something like that or by knowing how you installed XBMC to begin with.

That wiki entry is simply telling you you need to remove one ppa containing xbmc and enter another so you dont have two ppa sources offering versions of xbmc and potentially break something.

This should take care of it.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc.bin

However because your upgrading from V11 you likely run into troubles so see XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#What_might_break_when_upgrading_to_v12.3F_.28add-ons.2C_skins.2C_remotes.2C_etc.29 (wiki)

If I were you I would backup userdata (wiki) and rename guisettings.xml before upgrading and remove the addons you had previously too. Only thing you want to bring in is your Databases from inside userdata (wiki)

That is more likely to give you less issues, then again you may have none.

uNi
Thank you for the help! I will try this once I get home
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC v12 (Frodo) upgrade FAQ1