XBMC on the New Blackberrys
I doubt it would be enough to save RIM by itself, but it would be a killer feature on their tablets. Especially seeing as they're trying to target the advanced/technical users for BB10. It also kind of leads to the point that succeeding or not depends a lot on the applications the device can use or not. There's a lot of great OSes in tech history that died because only the OS was great, but it lacked killer applications.
(2012-11-27, 03:15)Ned Scott Wrote: There's a lot of great OSes in tech history that died because only the OS was great, but it lacked killer applications.
OS/2 comes to mind... along with lack of support by hardware manufacturers.
Doesn't BB have that Android emulation thingy? has anyone tried that?
(2012-11-27, 13:58)Atomic Zombie Wrote: Doesn't BB have that Android emulation thingy? has anyone tried that?
Yes, this is what qaxl was trying to say when he posted:
Quote:So just for your information, i am already using the XBMC remote app made for Android, ported to run Blackberry, however the Volume Buttons do not work with the app, and the Remote Control UI looks like its been blown up from a very small res image. I do not know any programming or code writing but i can't imagine these things would take more than a couple days to fix if you were to do it as an official port.
However, your people obviously didn't read the whole comment and just zoomed into that part...
You people here obviously haven't seen RIMM stock go up, or how they already have 70,000 applications made specifically for BlackBerry 10. (They are expecting 100,000 by launch.)
qaxl came here for an answer, and you guys started bashing him for what device he wants to use.
I'm sure if you asked @asaunders he would be glad to help you, and maybe even hook you up with a device to test it on.
But no, you guys think RIM is the same from 2 years ago, and you haven't seen the facts.
(2012-12-07, 00:10)r0v3rt3n Wrote: However, your people obviously didn't read the whole comment and just zoomed into that part...
You people here obviously haven't seen RIMM stock go up, or how they already have 70,000 applications made specifically for BlackBerry 10. (They are expecting 100,000 by launch.)
qaxl came here for an answer, and you guys started bashing him for what device he wants to use.
I'm sure if you asked @asaunders he would be glad to help you, and maybe even hook you up with a device to test it on.
But no, you guys think RIM is the same from 2 years ago, and you haven't seen the facts.

We already know about the Official XBMC remote running on BB, and even native BB XBMC remotes. Heck, there's even one guy who has a thread where he's trying to do his own XBMC port to BB.

I don't care if RIM is the same company from two years ago or not, because the fact remains that they've yet to prove themselves in the market. That being said, how they preform in the market has about zero impact on if an XBMC developer takes up the platform or not. It comes down to one thing: is there an XBMC dev who wants to work on it? No, currently not.

Just because a few members of Team XBMC and our user community had a little fun ripping on BB (hey, I'm a Mac user and I rip on Macs too) doesn't mean we don't give honest consideration to that platform, or that it's even the view of all XBMC developers. Like I said before, I'd actually be happy to be wrong and see BB/RIM succeed.
(2012-11-27, 03:15)Ned Scott Wrote: I doubt it would be enough to save RIM by itself, but it would be a killer feature on their tablets. Especially seeing as they're trying to target the advanced/technical users for BB10. It also kind of leads to the point that succeeding or not depends a lot on the applications the device can use or not. There's a lot of great OSes in tech history that died because only the OS was great, but it lacked killer applications.

Thanks Ned! Since you guys see this as a chicken and egg scenario I'd like to ask for some guidance. BlackBerry has provided porting guides this one here is for IOS: https://developer.blackberry.com/cascade...index.html since IOS and BlackBerry10 are similar does it seem like it is logical to start there? W

I would just like to add that as a Linux user for ~10 years I can't believe some of the perceptions out there. Linux usage is incredibly small BUT it is awesome! BlackBerry10 UI framework is based on QT has the legendary TAT crew behind them and own QNX OS. I agree that BlackBerry management repeatedly sh*it the bed but from all that I've seen lately they have it together. Its hard to say what really went wrong before exactly but its safe to say a lot of things plus using 100% Java as their OS didn't help at all.

I'd really like to see at minimun a nice XBMC remote but for those not convinced I ask keep an open mind BB10 launches in January.

Oh and its completely free to develop and get signing keys, just sayin Smile

Hi guys,

Just FYI, there was some progress made on XBMC port on BB10 (XBMC not an XBMC remote app).
Unfortunately the developer who did it, didn't give any update since September and hasn't made his code available anywhere (as far as I know), but based on the screenshots he made, that looks really promising.
Hopefully that will end well.
More information on this thread on XBMC forum: XBMC for BlackBerry Playbook

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Great to see the remote in BlackBerry App World for BB10.
I know this thread is not the most recent, but I wanted to let you guys know, that I've developed a BB10-only remote for XBMC. Nothing against Android ports, but I prefer apps with a native look & feel on my phone.
Those BlackBerry users amongst you will know what I'm talking about: BB10 action bar, BBM integration, Sharing, ...

Check out http://xrmt.net/ for screenshots and updates.

XRMT is currently under review by the BlackBerry World team, but will hopefully be available before phones are available.
Nice!
I like my playbook too, especially since my iPad's wifi has been pretty much borked outside my house since iOS 6 came out, but i don't think it - or an iPad or Android tablet for that matter - is really the best choice for XBMC in most situations. While i use it on my HTPCs I've installed Plex media server on my server and use a Plex client on my playbook and iPad. Its not XBMC but for mobile use i think its actually a better choice.
(2013-01-20, 17:40)biggerCC Wrote: I know this thread is not the most recent, but I wanted to let you guys know, that I've developed a BB10-only remote for XBMC. Nothing against Android ports, but I prefer apps with a native look & feel on my phone.
Those BlackBerry users amongst you will know what I'm talking about: BB10 action bar, BBM integration, Sharing, ...

Check out http://xrmt.net/ for screenshots and updates.

XRMT is currently under review by the BlackBerry World team, but will hopefully be available before phones are available.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you are the bestttttttttttttttttt Rofl Laugh
I just wanted to let you know that XRMT got approved by BB a couple of minutes ago and is now available for download directly at BB World for those happy few with a Z10: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore.../21527921/.

I expect to finish an update containing search and playlist functionalities by the end of next week (at or after BB Jam Europe).
I would love to see port of XBMC on BlackBerry 10 too, I'll be getting mine on Tuesday! :-)

BTW, biggerCC, the description of your remote app in App World says "...you must run XBMC v15 (Frodo)...", Frodo is 12, not 15... I'll probably buy your remote though, I'll give you some feedback once I get my new phone...
(2013-02-02, 21:26)Lumute Wrote: BTW, biggerCC, the description of your remote app in App World says "...you must run XBMC v15 (Frodo)...", Frodo is 12, not 15...

Thanks for bringing this typo to my attention. I just corrected it and hope my revised description will be reviewed by BB soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on the New Blackberrys0