• 3(current)
[WIP] Slideshow screensaver
Not being able to code python, unfortunately I'll have to rely on someone more knowledgable to mod the gui.py for this screensaver to allow EXIF data to be displayed. If anyone can help with that, I should have no trouble coding the script-python-slideshow.xml to display some of that data.

UPDATE: I tried to implement this EXIF.py but there is simply too much about python I do not know.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
i had a look at it last night.
the main problem i see is that it's only possible to read exif info from local files.

if you store your pictures on a remote share, you're out of luck.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-01-06, 01:00)ronie Wrote: i had a look at it last night.
the main problem i see is that it's only possible to read exif info from local files.

if you store your pictures on a remote share, you're out of luck.
As for that EXIF.py thing, we should just be able to import EXIF and then use EXIF.process_file. It just wants an open file object. Something like:

EXIF.process_file(file_object, 'Orientation', details=False)

Getting that open file object can probably be done using the xbmcvfs.File object, right? I don't think it's a proper Python file but it should be a starting point. Maybe we could wrap it or modify EXIF.process_file to be able to use it directly.

Unfortunately none of this addresses getting image dimensions for the black bar compensation. It looks like you did some work on that with PIL but removed it in r528. Maybe there's a native Python way to do that or get Xbmc to tell us after the image has been loaded.
Thomas Melvin
Vinyl Fetish
(2013-01-06, 01:00)ronie Wrote: if you store your pictures on a remote share, you're out of luck.

Actually, my media except for my screensaver pictures are on a remote server. I didn't like my server having to spin up just for screensavers, so I have a local folder for screensaver pictures. Of course, that still leaves the glaring problem that I can't code python Sad
I appreciate everyone's effort. Hopefully someone can get 'this working.
Win10x64 Pro. Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.26GHz on Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L. 4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM. Nvidia GT240 512MB PCIx16. Multiple displays, including Sony VPL-XW5000ES 4k projector + 100" Da-Lite Cinema screen.
I'm having problems with some images displaying really blurry and pixelated. Happens regardless which effect I'm using (Pan&Zoom, Slide, Crossfade).

Running XBMC Frodo RC3, Slideshow 0.0.3 on OS X 10.8.2 @ 1920x1080 resolution.

Original: Image
Displayed as: Image

I have other jpgs in the same folder in the same resolution displaying fine. For example:

EDIT: Corrected url to blurry image
(2013-01-06, 22:51)xorcist83 Wrote: I'm having problems with some images displaying really blurry and pixelated. Happens regardless which effect I'm using (Pan&Zoom, Slide, Crossfade).

Running XBMC Frodo RC3, Slideshow 0.0.3 on OS X 10.8.2 @ 1920x1080 resolution.

Original: Image
Displayed as: Image

I have other jpgs in the same folder in the same resolution displaying fine. For example:
can't help you with that i'm afraid.

image processing is handled by xbmc, not the addon.
it's weird though since the source image is 19280x1080
and matching your display, so there shouldn't be any scaling involved.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2013-01-06, 03:23)0x15e Wrote: As for that EXIF.py thing, we should just be able to import EXIF and then use EXIF.process_file. It just wants an open file object. Something like:

EXIF.process_file(file_object, 'Orientation', details=False)

Getting that open file object can probably be done using the xbmcvfs.File object, right? I don't think it's a proper Python file but it should be a starting point. Maybe we could wrap it or modify EXIF.process_file to be able to use it directly.
that's what i tried with PIL. but PIL requires file read, seek and tell methods.
xbmcvfs.File() provides read and seek, but not tell.

reading the EXIF.py code, it see it also needs tell.

(2013-01-06, 03:23)0x15e Wrote: Unfortunately none of this addresses getting image dimensions for the black bar compensation. It looks like you did some work on that with PIL but removed it in r528. Maybe there's a native Python way to do that or get Xbmc to tell us after the image has been loaded.

i've added a 'scale images fullscreen' option in the settings.
that should do what you're after i think.
screensaver.xbmc.slideshow-0.0.4.zip

please test and let me know what issues you find with this version.
Looks great! Much smoother all-around.

The crossfade can still be a little inconsistent but it's nothing like before. I really have to be watching for it to see a problem.

I also saw where one image came up black but I'd chalk that up to a bad pic.

I'll stay on the EXIF thing. Since .tell() just returns the current file position, I'll look into wrapping the xbmcfs.File object with something that will track the seeks and reads so it can return the proper value for tell.
Thomas Melvin
Vinyl Fetish
Awesome! Love the full screen option!
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
(2013-01-07, 04:58)0x15e Wrote: I'll stay on the EXIF thing. Since .tell() just returns the current file position, I'll look into wrapping the xbmcfs.File object with something that will track the seeks and reads so it can return the proper value for tell.

well i certainly agree on the exif stuff.
i'll add least make a request to add the tell method post frodo.

keep me posted if you get something going.
(2013-01-07, 18:38)ronie Wrote:
(2013-01-07, 04:58)0x15e Wrote: I'll stay on the EXIF thing. Since .tell() just returns the current file position, I'll look into wrapping the xbmcfs.File object with something that will track the seeks and reads so it can return the proper value for tell.

well i certainly agree on the exif stuff.
i'll add least make a request to add the tell method post frodo.

keep me posted if you get something going.

heh, that turned to be pretty easy, just two minor changes to EXIF.py
and it seems to be working as a breeze now. Smile
Is it possible to get a copy of your version w/ the exif-data capabilities for me to play with?

(2013-01-07, 20:03)curtis-r Wrote: Is it possible to get a copy of your version w/ the exif-data capabilities for me to play with?

you can check out the addon from my svn repo:
http://code.google.com/p/ronie/source/browse/
(2013-01-07, 20:03)curtis-r Wrote: Is it possible to get a copy of your version w/ the exif-data capabilities for me to play with?
Not much to look at yet. Looks like it's just code to make sure the EXIF library will work for now. There's still no handling for rotating the image yet. I'm going to spend some time looking at that tonight.

Thomas Melvin
Vinyl Fetish
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Slideshow screensaver0