Audio/Video hardware questions - 2 setups
Howdy all,

Not sure if this is best asked here or somewhere like AVS but figured I'd start here.
I have a couple questions about the video and audio hardware to use for an XBMC machine.

SETUP #1
Yet to be created PC
Yet to be purchased HD TV
Older Tuner - Technics GX 690 (I think) - No optical, digital coax, just standard red/white. Not used for surround sound, etc.

Setup #1 - AUDIO
When watching recorded TV shows, I would just have the audio come out of the TV and be done with it. However, when watching movies, I'd then probably route the audio through my tuner and listen to it via the stand alone speakers. Is there a good way to set that up? Can I split the audio from the PC to go to both and just pick which one to turn on? Do I need to daisy chain the devices somehow and then choose what I want? I just don't really want to have to use my whole system just so I can watch Big Bang Theory when I have a few minutes to kill. Not sure what my options are here.

Setup #1 - VIDEO
Also, is there a recommendation on how to get the best video from the PC to the TV? Is an add-on HDMI card the best way to go? Would I have that do the audio and video together (which I guess then affects the previous question). Would I want to use a separate sound card for the audio? Again, not used for surround sound or anything fancy.

SETUP #2
Raspberry Pi w/XBMC
Yet to be purchased HD TV
Older Tuner - Sony STR-DE545 - has optical, digital coax, no HDMI. Used in a 5.1 setup

Setup #2 - AUDIO
Pretty much limited to the HDMI output from the raspberry Pi to go to the TV. Do some TVs then have separate outputs that I could route to my tuner? Do I need a new tuner that has HDMI inputs that would then output the video to the TV and the audio to the speakers?

Setup #2 - VIDEO
HDMI. Only option. Wink
any HDMI video card (or CPU motherbaord) output is going to push your audio and video out to your devices: TV and/or Tuner.

With both setups shop for a TV that has the 'Audio Out' options you need to cary sound from the TV to your tuner when you want to use it instead of the TV speakers.
It is likely you will upgrade your tuner at some point. Then you simply run your HDMI cable from your PC (all devices) into the tuner then run a single HDMI cable to the TV (power the whole thing up with one button via Harmony remote).
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio/Video hardware questions - 2 setups0