• 4(current)
Frodo Beta1: Too many movie sets
(2012-11-26, 04:52)vbat99 Wrote: (Seeing as this thread has already been viewed 1200 odd times, looks like more people are interested in the outcome of this arguement ....er... debate. Big Grin)

People also like to watch hangings.
I've been won over by the arguments, and I'm now convinced devs are on the right path... It's mostly a minor bit of clean-up for me, but some of the suggestions for a set exclusion ring true.

Who would have known that the 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' was a 'set', it's bad enough that I have this one Smile
(2012-11-25, 18:10)pisoj1 Wrote:
(2012-11-23, 13:34)jjd-uk Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm sure a ""Hide Sets With Single Items" toggle hidden in the off screen menu within the Sets node would satisfy everyone, ok maybe too optimistic there so let's say most people Wink and hopefully the Team would not see it as adding unnecessary clutter, would certainly be better than a Advanced Setting IMHO.

+1 to this idea.

+(n+1)
n=-1
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
If single movies didn't show up in movie sets I would be inclined to use it more often. I actually like the idea of movie sets because I can quickly access ones that I want to. As it is I don't use it as often as I would simply because there are way too many single movies listed in movie sets. My movie sets list is probably 50 percent sets and 50 percent single movies. I would be willing to bet there are actually a lot more people than you think that would take advantage of it if this were fixed. Obviously adding an option to hide sets which only contain one movie would be the solution to the problem.
(2012-11-27, 00:13)Martijn Wrote: n=-1

Kkkkk
(2012-11-25, 15:50)natethomas Wrote: This is a remarkably heated debate about a node that I'm relatively certain almost nobody visits. I'm hoping to see a similar debate about karaoke soon!

Oh don't get me started on "karaoke" Tongue

It's comments like these that make me come to this thread lol:

(2012-11-26, 11:32)natethomas Wrote:
(2012-11-26, 04:52)vbat99 Wrote: (Seeing as this thread has already been viewed 1200 odd times, looks like more people are interested in the outcome of this arguement ....er... debate. Big Grin)

People also like to watch hangings.

(2012-11-27, 00:03)fernandovg Wrote:
(2012-11-25, 18:10)pisoj1 Wrote: +1 to this idea.

+(n+1)
and
(2012-11-27, 00:13)Martijn Wrote: n=-1

hahaha
(2012-11-27, 00:13)dpar Wrote: If single movies didn't show up in movie sets I would be inclined to use it more often. I actually like the idea of movie sets because I can quickly access ones that I want to. As it is I don't use it as often as I would simply because there are way too many single movies listed in movie sets. My movie sets list is probably 50 percent sets and 50 percent single movies. I would be willing to bet there are actually a lot more people than you think that would take advantage of it if this were fixed. Obviously adding an option to hide sets which only contain one movie would be the solution to the problem.

The point is that most people who use movie sets don't use the movie sets node to browse movie sets. The idea of movie sets is that it integrates nicely with the existing movie library views. In a normal library view, single movie sets always show up as single movies, while multiple movie sets show up as a set.
(2012-11-27, 03:57)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 00:13)dpar Wrote: If single movies didn't show up in movie sets I would be inclined to use it more often. I actually like the idea of movie sets because I can quickly access ones that I want to. As it is I don't use it as often as I would simply because there are way too many single movies listed in movie sets. My movie sets list is probably 50 percent sets and 50 percent single movies. I would be willing to bet there are actually a lot more people than you think that would take advantage of it if this were fixed. Obviously adding an option to hide sets which only contain one movie would be the solution to the problem.

The point is that most people who use movie sets don't use the movie sets node to browse movie sets. The idea of movie sets is that it integrates nicely with the existing movie library views. In a normal library view, single movie sets always show up as single movies, while multiple movie sets show up as a set.

Oh I totally understand the point, and I like how movie sets integrate with the library views. My point was merely that having the option to quickly access my movie sets without the clutter of single movies that don't belong there would be a nice option, and one that I would definitely take advantage of if it existed. And since xbmc is about customization and lots of options, it would seem to make sense to have the option if it would be possible with a filter to do so.

I'm certainly not complaining, I just happened to read the thread and thought I would respond as I saw all of the responses stating that barely anyone would care about the feature, and I don't think that is an accurate assessment.
(2012-11-27, 03:57)Ned Scott Wrote:

I think the point is that some people who use movie sets would like to use the sets node to browse their well, er sets and the fact that in the Title (and presumably other) views singleton sets are shown as single movies doesn't help them.
Now this may be a small lunatic fringe that XBMC doesn't want to cater to, which while unfortunate is not unreasonable, but IMO your comment suggests that you think dpar doesn't understand how sets work.
While this thread got of to a rocky start, I would think XBMC would want to encourage users to express their views/votes and not belittle them (not referring to you). Who knows if not this lunatic fringe, some other might surprise you, and not be so "fringe" after all.
mike
I don't use sets within the library views but I do use the sets node all the time.
OK, I am a little confused after reading through this thread.

I currently use Movie Sets, but I use Ember Media Manager to manage my collection and my Movie Sets.

If I was to delete my database (not saying I am) and rescan letting XBMC scrape the data, what should I expect for a Movie such as 300 (used as a previous example)?

Where will I see the "300 Collection" set? Will I see it when I am looking through "Movies" library in my main menu? Or is it that I will see it only if I click on the "Sets" sub-menu?

Thanks.
sdsnyr, you'll only see it as a set if you click on the Sets sub-menu.
The issue for me is that there are very few instances where I find sets useful. Having all of the Planet of the Apes movies or all the 007 movies in one set is useful for me, because those movies are otherwise not titled in alphabetical order. I used to manually create sets using Ember Movie Manager, before XBMC started to scrape set info from TMdb. I've also always been in the habit of exporting my library to allow for easy scraping during reinstalls and upgrades, which means that most of the 1000+ movies I had in my collection before Eden already have an .nfo file that keeps them out of any movie sets.

I get annoyed when, say, I already have .nfo files for, say, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, and then I download Iron Man 2 and The Avengers, the latter two automatically go over into an incomplete Avengers collection that I don't need. This can cause a lot of confusion because the name of the set, which I didn't choose, isn't always logical (Collection of the Dead files under C, for example, when I was looking under D for Dawn). New movies filter into sets and older movies stay put. My library was a mess before I spent several hours manually removing newer movies from their sets.

I think there should be a preference to display sets, but turn off TMDb scraping for movie sets (which is how XBMC used to work before this change). I don't always agree with the TMDb contributors who are making judgment calls about how to group some of these movies, and it would be a lot more convenient if the XBMC scrapers could just ignore this piece of data so I could build out my own sets.
(2012-11-27, 21:34)eg4190 Wrote: I think there should be a preference to display sets, but turn off TMDb scraping for movie sets (which is how XBMC used to work before this change). I don't always agree with the TMDb contributors who are making judgment calls about how to group some of these movies, and it would be a lot more convenient if the XBMC scrapers could just ignore this piece of data so I could build out my own sets.

You can do just that using the universal scraper (turn off scraping of sets)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo Beta1: Too many movie sets0