Win Video Playback slow with XBMC 12 beta 1
Hi all,

OK, I installed XBMC 12 beta 1 (tried on win 7 and win 8) and it every time i play a movie that has built in subtitles (a forced track, not hard coded) the video appears to be slow and stutter. But the funny thing is that if i just import them into XBMC without downloading the metadata the movies with subs play fine, but after I download the meta data the same movies will stutter and be slow.

i am not sure if it's an audio setting but i don't think that changing it from 2.0 to 5.1 would do anything differently cos movies with no subs play fine whether the audio is set to 2.0 or 5.1.
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you are playing one of these movies?
I have a similar problem: install XBMC 12 Beta 1, all movies/videos play well... but after a few days, ALL movies start to play in slowmotion (with or without embedded subtitles). In fact, now even the mouse pointer becomes to move in slowmotion too, but only in the play screen... I think perhaps it can be some configuration I made in "System", or perhaps some add-on. I tried another configurations but don't succeeded. What can be causing this issue?...

Note: videos play ok in 2x speed, 8x speed, etc... And play OK in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (another player) too. So, the problem is not driver, video card, etc. But the videos don't play right at normal speed on XBMC (they play in slowmotion).
read my post in this thread
i had similar problems with version 12 beta1
it helped me, and it may or may not for you , but its a thought and worth a try

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146320
OK, i went back to v11 and that worked fine but I have gone back to v12 beta 1 cos of DTS-HD MA passthrough. after trying many video settings and updating my nvidia drivers to the latest beta (310.61) and shark007 codecs it was still running slowly like as if i had pause it and did a frame-by-frame advance.

so in just trying anything now I set the audio in the main settings to HDMI 7.1 and.......IT WORKED! all affected videos played at 24fps instead of 4-10fps.

it seems it has something to do with XBMC not being able to handle 7.1 movies with the system setting at 5.1....my current config is only up to 5.1 anyway but it should be a simple work around till it's fixed in the stable release.
I was having this issue as well, the problem seems to be with the audio output. After setting both of my audio outputs to directsound instead of wasapi the issue went away.

My only issue now is with xbmc reverting the settings when my television / receiver aren't on, but I plan to stick those settings into advancedsettings to keep them static.

I really wish there was a check mark next to the system settings, something like "never automatically change this setting"
Swiper the Fox Wrote:I had a similar issues with mkv files playing almost slow motion like
I use HDMI for video and sound, and for some reason, the audio for the files was set for ANALOG
I had to change it (to HDMI ) from within a playing file, and make it the default for ALL files and all is well
THANK YOU very very much!!!... \O/
I have the same issue with XBMC 12 beta 1, and your post help me to find WHY the videos are playing in slow motion.
I changed audio output to HDMI, like you did, and now videos are playing in normal speed.
(the only problem is: I really use analog audio (RCA cable) for sound output, not HDMI). Sad

[ ] Rubens
MY problem is solved: now I'm using HDMI connection, and since I've set "Audio Output" to "HDMI", it's all working now: the sound is OK and the movies are playing in normal speed again. THANK YOU AGAIN, Swiper the Fox!!!!

[ ] Rubens
I wonder if it's dependent on how your home theater is set up cos I was already on HDMI, I had all audio set to HDMI and the PC is connected to an AV receiver.

ninja edit: setting the output to directsound doesn't change anything for me as i have now on directsound but when i have DS and change thee channel output to 5.1 it goes back to stuttering for movies with 7.1. so i have left it at 7.1.
Directsound and DTS-HD MA don't seem to like each other as it causes the video to stutter and play slowly. so i went to the default option and it works fine.
(2012-11-27, 14:19)DoctorDyna Wrote: I was having this issue as well, the problem seems to be with the audio output. After setting both of my audio outputs to directsound instead of wasapi the issue went away.

My only issue now is with xbmc reverting the settings when my television / receiver aren't on, but I plan to stick those settings into advancedsettings to keep them static.

I really wish there was a check mark next to the system settings, something like "never automatically change this setting"

DIRECTSOUND instead of wasapi worked for me. Thanks!

I agree it would be nice not to change settings. I use an HDMI switching receiver to flip between cable, blu ray, and the XBMC PC (which stays on 24*7) and if XBMC is running during a switch the sound usually shuts off which is a real PITA for the not-technical family.

[edit]
Just tested the DTS-HD MA, DTS HD High Resolution, and Dolby TrueHD with the appropriate support buttons checked. Bummer! I get the same problem (slow frame by frame display, with no sound) on those file types.

This is with XBMC 12 Beta 2.

I'll start a new thread for this.
I had the same issue. Here is how I resolved it. I thought it may be because I had an HP laptop (and it still maybe the issue) with no Windows 8 video drivers that was slowing my video down and made it look like slow motion so I restored my computer with Windows 7 OS. I ran the same video that I had just ran earlier and it ran at normal speed. While watching the video I adjusted my system/system/audio output from 2.0 speaker configuration to 4.1 and the video immediately went into slow motion. I adjusted it back to 2.0 and it ran at normal speed. I then restored my OS back to windows 8 and adjusted my system/system/audio output to 2.0 on the speaker configuration and it ran at normal speed again. I hope this helps others because I spent many hours figuring this out.
XBMC_v12_(Frodo)_FAQ#Audio_issues_and.2For_slow_video_playback (wiki)

Audio misconfiguration is the most common reason for these type video playback issues and one of tbe most well documnted in xbmc Forums and wiki.
theres literally dozens of threads on this and all 2013 dated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playback slow with XBMC 12 beta 10